128 Meg Barrier

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
Am I correct to assume the only possible way to break the 128 meg barrier on gp32 storage would be the possible use of the usb to external storage on gplinux at some point in the future when that port is funtional as a flashed os?(meaning when it knows how to run gp32 programs)

EDIT"" After researching some previous posts on this topic I learned that it is the ARM9 processor that can not read higher than 128, and its not really that it CAN'T do it... it's that it CAN'T YET or for that matter ever will since smc is a dead technology. The processor would just have to be told what the new referring number is for larger smc cards as each size has a different referring number to be recognized by the cpu. So it's not that your gp32 is incapable of reading higher than 128 ever... its just that it doesn't know anything about higher cards so it won't recognize them at this time. Apparently the larger cards are a myth anyhow or at the very least a lightly produced and now discontinued line so it is a non-issue.

Squidge posted on Mar 2004 said:
"142" means 2mb, "192" means 4mb, "64" means 128mb, etc. To find out the size of the card, you have to use a table to convert the identifier to the size. This is why a card over 128mb will not be recognized in anything out there at the moment - because no one knows what number they would decide to use to identify it.

There is no SMC controller chip inside the GP32, it's handled by the ARM9 MCU in software, so can be easily updated if a 256mb SMC was ever released. However, all the software out there now will need to be recompiled. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I stand corrected, but still it's no ARM9 limit. But read my lips: there are no 256mb cards in the wild, and there won't ever be (It's getting harder to get SMCs in local shops, it's a dying standard).
Apart from that, it is very unlikely that GP32Linux will run as a bios substitute, and even if it will, you need to add USB support to each and every application using read/write functions.

hm maybe it would be intresting to dump how the xd converter reacts to a 256mb xd card. if the adapter translates it right it would maybe b possible to add bios/sdk support for it, but anyway, 128mb are enugh i think.

worldwriter posted on Sep 22 2004 at 01:30 PM said:
Am I correct to assume the only possible way to break the 128 meg barrier on gp32 storage would be the possible use of the usb to external storage on gplinux at some point in the future when that port is funtional as a flashed os?(meaning when it knows how to run gp32 programs)
GP32Linux cannot run .FXEs yet but it should be possible. However, these FXEs won't be able to access to the extra USB storage, unless we intercept the bios calls... I do not know if it is possible.

I think a better and easier way would be to port the apps to gp32linux.

SVolli are you here ? :)

Hope there is going to be support for more than 128 mb using the xd-converter. :)
Then I can use my dads xd cards :D
And store a whole movie on 1 smc

aapje89 posted on Sep 22 2004 at 04:52 PM said:
Hope there is going to be support for more than 128 mb using the xd-converter. :)
Then I can use my dads xd cards :D
And store a whole movie on 1 smc

you already can store a whole movie on one smc
you just need to encode it and tweak the frames , bitrate and sound untill its small enough :D

any chance one might find some gp32 formatted movies on Ares or some other peer to peer program? I heard someone had done I'Robot to the correct format...

Not asking for a url or file... :) Just asking if anyone has had any luck finding feature movies formatted correctly already to fit on an smc... I'm perfectly willing to do the work myself.. but if the movies are already out there why bother? :unsure:

Would it be possible to partition larger card and have some sort of boot loader on the smc or in the bios?

from what i understand it would be quite easy to change the mcu to accept a larger card format..unfortunatly, they would need to know the internal bytes atributed to the card they are reprogramming the mcu to accept...

Since none of us have yet to find a 256 smc we do not know the internal number for one of those and I'm not sure if the mcu could be programmed to look for the internal structure of a 256 xd in an smc adapter.... might be apples and oranges...

Back