Beta Prboom, Zdoom, Doomlegacy

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
All have the latest picklelauncher 0.20. The appdata has been set to doom for all three (so if you used prboom, change it)

pickle.gp2x.de/prboom.pnd

No real changes here, same prboom with software and opengles renders. Runs doom wads.

pickle.gp2x.de/doomlegacy.pnd

Supports both software and opengles renders (changeable through picklelauncher). Opengles is slow. Runs doom and heretic wads.
There is multiplayer support but i never got past searching for servers, maybe i didnt wait long enough.

pickle.gp2x.de/zdoom.pnd

Supports all wads under the sun(doom, heretic, hexen, strife), but be warned its very slow since it uses openal to replace fmod. But odd wads like strife do work.
Its only software render.

Update: must be a slow weekend...any who Ive updated the doomlegacy, saves work and mouse should work. Prev version didnt save right.
also rebuilt the latest openal-soft with neon and alsa and I think it runs better. A decent clock and strife works well :)

Update 2:
added chocolate/strawberry doom:
pickle.gp2x.de/cdoom.pnd

Thanks for the great work with these, I will test soon.

Other topic: have you ever looked at the source for the 3DO emu? Is it complete or possible on the Pandora at a good speed?

Pickle said:
All have the latest picklelauncher 0.20. The appdata has been set to doom for all three (so if you used prboom, change it)

pickle.gp2x.de/prboom.pnd

No real changes here, same prboom with software and opengles renders. Runs doom wads.

pickle.gp2x.de/doomlegacy.pnd

Supports both software and opengles renders (changeable through picklelauncher). Opengles is slow. Runs doom and heretic wads.
There is multiplayer support but i never got past searching for servers, maybe i didnt wait long enough.

pickle.gp2x.de/zdoom.pnd

Supports all wads under the sun(doom, heretic, hexen, strife), but be warned its very slow since it uses openal to replace fmod. But odd wads like strife do work.
Its only software render.

Update: must be a slow weekend...any who Ive updated the doomlegacy, saves work and mouse should work. Prev version didnt save right.
also rebuilt the latest openal-soft with neon and alsa and I think it runs better. A decent clock and strife works well :)

I tried Doomlegacy, and I couldn't get the mouse working - neither of the analog sticks do anything. Is there some kind of specific setting that I need to set somewhere other than the obvious in-game mouse settings? or is the updated doomlegacy hosted at a different link?

Last edited by a moderator:
ozzyfreakdude said:
I tried Doomlegacy, and I couldn't get the mouse working - neither of the analog sticks do anything. Is there some kind of specific setting that I need to set somewhere other than the obvious in-game mouse settings? or is the updated doomlegacy hosted at a different link?

just checked and it works, had to turn it on and i also set to always mouselook, double check your settings, if it still doesnt work ill check the pnd.

I don't know how to get ZDoom working.

I ran it once to create the directories in Appdata, then copied doom2.wad in there. When I start it up, I get pickle launcher asking me to choose something(I don't know what it wants! Doesn't pay any attention to the doom2.wad if I try and select it.)

I'm sure I'm being dense here but can someone tell me how to install this? (BTW hitting Y for the documentation in Minimenu opens up an empty aurora window).

Lobo said:
I don't know how to get ZDoom working.

I ran it once to create the directories in Appdata, then copied doom2.wad in there. When I start it up, I get pickle launcher asking me to choose something(I don't know what it wants! Doesn't pay any attention to the doom2.wad if I try and select it.)

I'm sure I'm being dense here but can someone tell me how to install this? (BTW hitting Y for the documentation in Minimenu opens up an empty aurora window).

You pick the file (one selected has a arrow to the left and also gets larger) then you either hit enter or tap the screen where the select button is.

Pickle said:
just checked and it works, had to turn it on and i also set to always mouselook, double check your settings, if it still doesnt work ill check the pnd.

Where do you turn it on? In the settings, under "Mouse", the "use mouse" and 'mouse move' settings default to on, and the always mouselook setting defaults to off. It reacts in the same way regardless of whether 'always mouselook' is turned on or off. In general I have the mouse clicks mapped to the trigger buttons and both analog nubs mapped to the mouse movements. neither moving along the touch screen nor using either analog nub respond to do anything - neither moving nor looking. Also, mouselook is set to the s key - when I hold the s key down, I still can't look.

Are you sure that the pnd you have hosted is the latest version (the version you're testing with)? And how is it supposed to work when it does work - should it use left analog to move and right analog to look?

On a side note, thanks for porting doomlegacy - it's by far my favorite Doom engine. I wasn't expecting it, but it's definitely a nice surprise

ozzyfreakdude said:
Pickle said:

Where do you turn it on? In the settings, under "Mouse", the "use mouse" and 'mouse move' settings default to on, and the always mouselook setting defaults to off. It reacts in the same way regardless of whether 'always mouselook' is turned on or off. In general I have the mouse clicks mapped to the trigger buttons and both analog nubs mapped to the mouse movements. neither moving along the touch screen nor using either analog nub respond to do anything - neither moving nor looking. Also, mouselook is set to the s key - when I hold the s key down, I still can't look.

Are you sure that the pnd you have hosted is the latest version (the version you're testing with)? And how is it supposed to work when it does work - should it use left analog to move and right analog to look?

On a side note, thanks for porting doomlegacy - it's by far my favorite Doom engine. I wasn't expecting it, but it's definitely a nice surprise

I set use mouse to on and always freelook to on and then the left nub would move the view.
Can you save a game, if not and you downloaded the pnd after I posted the update then it should work. if you cant save i.e enter description you have the old pnd, and should try and redownload. If it still doesnt work then i messed up on the second upload.

I think it's the old version - I can't save. Can't type a name for the savegame, so it doesn't save at all

EDIT:
And I redownloaded it this morning, using the latest pnd hosted here. It needs to be reupped

Ok, I selected doom2.wad, get a milisecond of blackscreen then back to the picklelauncher. Guess it does try to do something but crashes.

I think it's missing something called "libfsfunnel.so"?

I'm on a recently reflashed HF5 for what it's worth.

Lobo said:
Ok, I selected doom2.wad, get a milisecond of blackscreen then back to the picklelauncher. Guess it does try to do something but crashes.

I think it's missing something called "libfsfunnel.so"?

I'm on a recently reflashed HF5 for what it's worth.

thats not good can you check the /tmp log for any clues?

I tried zdoom and can confirm that it crashes as soon as I try to select a wad as well, but it doesn't ask me for anything.

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/menu//zdoom.pnd -e run.sh -b doom
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
LoopMountedon:
/dev/loop2
Filetype is Squashfs
Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :
/dev/loop2 on /mnt/pnd/doom type squashfs (ro)
Filesystem is vfat
Mounting the Union FS using /media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/appdata/doom as Write directory:
mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/appdata/doom=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/doom=rr none /mnt/utmp/doom
none on /mnt/utmp/doom type aufs (rw,si=66f26037,noplink)
none on /mnt/utmp/doom type aufs (rw,si=66f26037,noplink)
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]
cp: `default/..' and `.' are the same file
sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified
./zdoom: error while loading shared libraries: libfsfunnel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Starting PickleLauncher Version v0.20.
Running from '/mnt/utmp/doom/' as 'picklelauncher'
Loading config.
Loading ziplist.
Initializing SDL.
SDL initialized.
Loading profile.
Closing TTF fonts.
Quitting TTF.
Quitting SDL.
Quitting PickleLauncher Version v0.20.
[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]
cleanup done

Lobo said:
./zdoom: error while loading shared libraries: libfsfunnel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

not a clue what lib that is, are you running HF5?

I generated the pnds again and uploaded all 3. So delete any profile*.txt's and try again.
Also have another engine coming called chocolate-doom and strawberry-doom. This are forks that try to match the original DOS versions. The heretic and strife versions are good. Once I have the pnd ready ill put it up.

I tried on both HF4 and HF5 with same result.

Will download and try again (I downgraded to HF4 last night).

Lobo said:
I tried on both HF4 and HF5 with same result.

Will download and try again (I downgraded to HF4 last night).

a handy tip by sebt3 is that this lib is in the codec pack, im going to try and correct the bin to not require this lib but a workaround would be to install the codec pack

I have the codec pack installed but I still get the same error.

Anyway, dont worry about it. Must be something odd on my Pandora because nobody else has complained about it

i put up a first cut of the chocolate/strawberry doom pnd

chocolate can run doom, heretic, hexen, strife wads. All run at 640x480 in software rendering. This engine aim is to look like the original but run on modern systems.
I included strawberry doom for the heck of it, but i can see any difference from chocolate.

The pnd needs a little bit more polish, the hexen exp will not load as is, neither do pwads, setup isnt runable from the launcher, and strawberry doom is missing some config settings. Buts enough to get most of the major stuff working.

Back