Release Prboom With Picklelauncher For Pandora

thanks for the confirmation, we should get libGLUES in the firmware so I dont have to do the hack i did to get it working.

Also looking for feedback on the launcher itself, Im probably going to add SDL_image so I can do things like backgrounds, so its not as ugly.
But since this 100% my work I would like any feedback on how it can be improved.

Pickle said:
thanks for the confirmation, we should get libGLUES in the firmware so I dont have to do the hack i did to get it working.

Also looking for feedback on the launcher itself, Im probably going to add SDL_image so I can do things like backgrounds, so its not as ugly.
But since this 100% my work I would like any feedback on how it can be improved.

Give me a few days to think it over ... a few ideas off of the top of my head (if I think this is gonna be a generic front-loader for all sorts not just prboom)

1) An ability to name a rom i.e. 123.wad could be named "Doom 1 - Variant 123" in the menu, instead of "123"
2) A final exit option - I know Esc does it, but its always good to have things as an option
3) Yeah an image / some music - instead of arrows as the selector, you could have the text size of the current selection increase and descrease as its unselected

I hasten to add all three ideas are jam .. the main functionality at the moment is just outstanding! Ill be loading more wads over the next few days and let you know how it goes

Last edited by a moderator:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
Pickle said:

Give me a few days to think it over ... a few ideas off of the top of my head (if I think this is gonna be a generic front-loader for all sorts not just prboom)

1) An ability to name a rom i.e. 123.wad could be named "Doom 1 - Variant 123" in the menu, instead of "123"
2) A final exit option - I know Esc does it, but its always good to have things as an option
3) Yeah an image / some music - instead of arrows as the selector, you could have the text size of the current selection increase and descrease as its unselected

I hasten to add all three ideas are jam .. the main functionality at the moment is just outstanding! Ill be loading more wads over the next few days and let you know how it goes

thanks, these are the type of ideas im looking for.
1. the naming right now is based on the actual file detected, i take the name and remove the ext. I could put a display name in the profile.txt and it be up to the user to hand modify it to a custom name.
2. yeah good idea, although it shouldnt go in the list. You dont know but if you had more than 20 entries going down would scroll the entries. But i put it somwhere and maybe use a button to tab. Which also make me think i should add touchscreen support.
3. music for a frontend? font size change for the selected item, maybe I think i can do that.

thanks for the compliment.

Edit: yes this is generic theres nothing in it specific to prboom, if it runs off command line i expect it to be able to run it.

Pickle said:
thanks, these are the type of ideas im looking for.
1. the naming right now is based on the actual file detected, i take the name and remove the ext. I could put a display name in the profile.txt and it be up to the user to hand modify it to a custom name.

Yep, there is no doubt I would go to the trouble of updating the profile.txt, and no doubt it would be shared in the community!

Taking this further (you should never ask me for ideas:) ... perhaps we can incorporate thumbnails / specific sounds. ill mock something up later but perhaps the design could be as follows

* At the top, the title ( the Picklelauncher - Pickle your choice [ Could no resist!])
* left half of screen for the options - as you scroll through text magnifies / colour change? on current selection
* On the right top quarter a few launcher options (quit, edit profile (ambitious but hey its a wish list :) ) ... etc - all with short cut keys Q for quit etc)
* On the right bottom quarter a screenshort / thumbnail

The way i would see it working - arrow up and arrow down scroll one by one through list (left ot left shoulder fast scroll up - right or right shoulder fast scroll down) - enter to select, or one of the action button X?

The profile.txt entry could be something like
[123.wad]
Name = "Doom 1 - Variant 123"
Sound = "123.mp3"
SShot = "123.jpg"

Obviously as you scroll through items sound and pic potentially change

Pickle said:
2. yeah good idea, although it shouldnt go in the list. You dont know but if you had more than 20 entries going down would scroll the entries. But i put it somwhere and maybe use a button to tab. Which also make me think i should add touchscreen support.

Agreed - see revised idea above

Pickle said:
3. music for a frontend? font size change for the selected item, maybe I think i can do that.

Sorry didnt quite mean music, mean a background tune of some kind .. but now revised the idea above..

Pickle said:
thanks for the compliment.

Edit: yes this is generic theres nothing in it specific to prboom, if it runs off command line i expect it to be able to run it.

Its a pleasure .. you coder boys are working your backsides off and it is appreciated!

Pickle, this is wicked :)

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there a full screen option I just havent come across, or is it yet to come?

Cheers :)

@ TheDarkSpectrum
Thanks good ideas, will mull over them

jonlad1 said:
Pickle, this is wicked :)

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there a full screen option I just havent come across, or is it yet to come?

Cheers :)

Thanks! You want to turn off fullscreen? be aware the resolution is fixed to 800x480 for panadora

Pickle ... Played Doom 1 on the tube today .. wicked! Could not seem to save a file - Went to slot, typed a name in pressed enter and it says "Save failed" ???

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
Pickle ... Played Doom 1 on the tube today .. wicked! Could not seem to save a file - Went to slot, typed a name in pressed enter and it says "Save failed" ???

oh you made a tvout cable? I will check saving, cant think of a reason why it wouldnt work.

Pickle said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

oh you made a tvout cable? I will check saving, cant think of a reason why it wouldnt work.

I wish !!! .... sorry the underground train in london is called the tube :) On my way home!

Pickle said:
Thanks! You want to turn off fullscreen? be aware the resolution is fixed to 800x480 for panadora

No, on mine I have borders, like how the previous version of Picodrive had. It isnt using the full 800x480, I want to make it full screen :)

Could not seem to save a file - Went to slot, typed a name in pressed enter and it says "Save failed" ???

I also got an error when trying to save "Save failed" or something similar

Also, what do I need to do to get the music working? I've put the wad in the right folder, have I missed something else?

Cheers

Is there a save directory that needs creating in appdata or something? Lack of one has been known to cause other games to have issues sometimes (e.g. fheroes2).

Tobriand said:
Is there a save directory that needs creating in appdata or something? Lack of one has been known to cause other games to have issues sometimes (e.g. fheroes2).

that might be the case saving is working here and the files are saved in the appdata/.prboom folder. Its in the pnd, but maybe isnt created cause theres no files in it?

Edit: opps i think i see, im missing my hidden file/folder copy in the run script

Edit2: problems fixed, pnd updated here for sure:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,78

also has a slightly updated picklelauncher, you can add a background image images/background.png if you want.

im putting up a new version at pickle.gp2x.de/prboom.pnd

Only updates to picklelauncher:
mouse/touchscreen supported
added movement, launch, quit screen buttons for touchscreen/mouse
page up/down option (left and right on the dpad)
it came in the last version but the selected item also is bigger in size
an commandline argument option to set the profile path (--profile <path>)

The background, pointer and all the buttons can be replaced by png's:

Code:
#define DEF_IMG_BACKGND         "images/background.png"
#define DEF_IMG_POINTER         "images/pointer.png"
#define BUTTON_ONE_UP_PATH      "images/button_oneup.png"
#define BUTTON_ONE_DOWN_PATH    "images/button_onedn.png"
#define BUTTON_PAGE_UP_PATH     "images/button_pageup.png"
#define BUTTON_PAGE_DOWN_PATH   "images/button_pagedn.png"
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_PATH      "images/button_launch.png"
#define BUTTON_QUIT_PATH        "images/button_quit.png"

#define BUTTON_SELUP_W  (30*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELUP_H  (10*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELDN_W  (30*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELDN_H  (10*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_H (40*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_W (80*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_QUIT_H   (40*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_QUIT_W   (80*SCREEN_RATIO)
where SCREEN_RATIO is a multiple of 240, if the screen is 480 SCREEN_RATIO is 2.
pointer can be any size
if anyone comes up with decent graphics, Id love to add them

feedback and ideas welcome

Pickle said:
im putting up a new version at pickle.gp2x.de/prboom.pnd

Only updates to picklelauncher:
mouse/touchscreen supported
added movement, launch, quit screen buttons for touchscreen/mouse
page up/down option (left and right on the dpad)
it came in the last version but the selected item also is bigger in size
an commandline argument option to set the profile path (--profile <path>)

The background, pointer and all the buttons can be replaced by png's:

Code:
#define DEF_IMG_BACKGND         "images/background.png"
#define DEF_IMG_POINTER         "images/pointer.png"
#define BUTTON_ONE_UP_PATH      "images/button_oneup.png"
#define BUTTON_ONE_DOWN_PATH    "images/button_onedn.png"
#define BUTTON_PAGE_UP_PATH     "images/button_pageup.png"
#define BUTTON_PAGE_DOWN_PATH   "images/button_pagedn.png"
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_PATH      "images/button_launch.png"
#define BUTTON_QUIT_PATH        "images/button_quit.png"

#define BUTTON_SELUP_W  (30*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELUP_H  (10*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELDN_W  (30*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_SELDN_H  (10*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_H (40*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_LAUNCH_W (80*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_QUIT_H   (40*SCREEN_RATIO)
#define BUTTON_QUIT_W   (80*SCREEN_RATIO)
where SCREEN_RATIO is a multiple of 240, if the screen is 480 SCREEN_RATIO is 2.
pointer can be any size
if anyone comes up with decent graphics, Id love to add them

feedback and ideas welcome

Can confirm saving is now working - Thanks!

WOW I love where the launcher is going - Had a quick look and really looks nice! Will play with some images this weekend!! EXCELLENT - Thanks

Hotfix 4 - saving works. :)
Now how do I get this music working... where to put all the timidity files etc.? :huh:

Nupfi said:
Hotfix 4 - saving works. :)
Now how do I get this music working... where to put all the timidity files etc.? :huh:

you can put the timidity intruments anywhere and then put the timidity.cfg in the prboom folder.
timidity.cfg must have the path to the folder where the instruments are located.

Thx Pickle!
Will go and try again. ;)
Was bored today, so I made some kind of "wallpaper - splash screen" in Photoshop; just wanted to share! :)
Click!

EDIT: Got the music working now. :) Thx again!

Just tried this it is pretty cool.

One thing is no game buttons started the game, I had to hit the "Space bar" to load. That wasn't to intuitive I only found that after hitting all of the keys , I am not real big on using the nubs for this they are kind of spastic. Something like the "B" button to select would be pretty standard.

Also any option to get correct aspect so everything isn't squashed looking?

Also an option to put timidity in a folder in appdata called "timidity" would be good so all apps could use the same files (mostly for future use). Would be better than having This large set of data duplicated for every game that uses timidity.

I also noticed a weird tile effect on textures towards the top of the screen. It is like those tiles you get on JPEGs. What is that from?

Maybe you could add something like the old GP32 version had where you could select the base WAD then the iwad or whatever and save that for future. Then you could just run it. All of those script things can be confusing. I don't know exactly what to do with all this: entry=twilight.wad,prboom.cfg,doom2.wad,twilight.wad. Greek to me.

Thanks for the great work.

DaveC said:
Just tried this it is pretty cool.

One thing is no game buttons started the game, I had to hit the "Space bar" to load. That wasn't to intuitive I only found that after hitting all of the keys , I am not real big on using the nubs for this they are kind of spastic. Something like the "B" button to select would be pretty standard.
dpad should do movement selecting, escape should quit, buy any other button should have launched. I will double check this. Also though about printing the controls onto the screen somehow.

DaveC said:
Also any option to get correct aspect so everything isn't squashed looking?
I think you mean streched ;-) I think this is a problem with SDL reporting 800x480 as the only valid resolution for fullscreen. Although software SDL handles 640x480 correctly. Bottom line I have to dig deeper.

DaveC said:
Also an option to put timidity in a folder in appdata called "timidity" would be good so all apps could use the same files (mostly for future use). Would be better than having This large set of data duplicated for every game that uses timidity.
Now the sd cards have a fixed path you could put the intruments anywhere on the card and just put the timidity.cfg in each app. Personally i put them on my nand and the timidifty.cfg in /etc. But this was before the fixed sd card path.

DaveC said:
I also noticed a weird tile effect on textures towards the top of the screen. It is like those tiles you get on JPEGs. What is that from?
Its something with the imgtec driver, as I see it an any opwngles app ive ported.

DaveC said:
Maybe you could add something like the old GP32 version had where you could select the base WAD then the iwad or whatever and save that for future. Then you could just run it. All of those script things can be confusing. I don't know exactly what to do with all this: entry=twilight.wad,prboom.cfg,doom2.wad,twilight.wad. Greek to me.
Did you happen to see the readme which goes over the options in detail? Look in the appdate folder for it. In general at some point Id like to have internal editing, but its going to take some time.
For iwads you only need to change the last item in the string.

When you autogen the wad entries you would see:

entry=twilight.wad,prboom.cfg,twilight.wad,%custom%
which manually needs to be change to
entry=twilight.wad,prboom.cfg,doom2.wad,twilight.wad

first item is the main file name, following items correspond to each argument. so --file is twilight.wad

one idea i had is to have an option for a folder that would contain all the subfiles (iwads) for a main file (doom2.wad), and have the app auto detect all of these.

DaveC said:
Thanks for the great work.

thanks you, and thanks for the feedback

Thank you for the Port and the Launcher Pickle :)

I have found some Wallpapers at the Internet and changed them to 800x480
as Background for the great PickleLauncher <3

( klick to enlarge - then right klick and save as picture )

backgroundd.th.png background2j.th.png background3r.th.png

background4x.th.png background5z.th.png

( or all nine Pictures in one zip archive are here -> MegaUpload Download Link )

Is it possible to have an Option to change the Text Color to White or other Colors ?
because the most Background Pictures that i have found are dark :(

@Nupfi thank you for the selfmade Background Picture, its verry nice !

Greetings. Shao

Back