[Ported Game] Duke Nukem 3D - EDuke32

For me the movement is to fast.

Nubs should be more sensitive (move slow if nub is moved only a little)

The nubs already do that but are too sensitive. You can configure every axis to your liking in zhe options and config file. Would you mind including this into your custom config?

For the false mouselook: This is how it is. Can you find any information how to change it to the mouselook you want on the internet?

The nubs already do that but are too sensitive. You can configure every axis to your liking in zhe options and config file. Would you mind including this into your custom config?

For the false mouselook: This is how it is. Can you find any information how to change it to the mouselook you want on the internet?
Then there's a bug.

Axis 1 (Moving) works as expected. The lower the number the slower I move.

Axis 0 (Starving) is broken. No matter what number I chose it doesn't have any impact.

EDIT:

Also Starving doesn't have any different speed levels.

I always move at maximal velocity.

Can't you just steal the Nub code from Shadow warrior?

It's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
milkshake: the polymer rebderer is compiled in and activared in the opengl version.

strange that its not fixed then because on my windows version of eDuke32 the polymer version fixes the distorted vertical mouse move views.

can anyone else confirm this?

Where can I find the accompanying source release for your modifications to EDuke32?

Thanks. I diffed the source you posted against the original svn revision and the result was literally 10 changed lines of code. Is this correct? We're trying to get this going on Android soon and saw the EDuke32 builds compiled against "GLlib" for OpenPandora and assumed there were source modifications required to get it to work. Is that GL lib so complete that you just link against it without source changes and it works? I saw that you won 250 EUR in the DragonBox competition for this but literally the only code changes are swapping the predefined 800x600 res for 800x480, forcing SDL to run in fullscreen, forcing the joystick on/off toggle to always be enabled, and an alteration to the paths checked for timidity.cfg. What am I missing here?

By the way, you guys might get models working when using the HRP with those builds by setting r_vbos to 0.

Yes, you can link against the libGL / libGLU from here https://github.com/lunixbochs/glshim .

You can also just build with mesagl and plug it in afterwards.

And you are right, I didn't do much codechanges to get it running. For android, you will have to do a lot more work, but that is what makes it so sexy to have a fully fledged linux distro on your handheld.

I wonder myself why I won, but sourcecode and application were up for jury and public voting, so it was not in my hands.

If it eases your mind, I gave a good amount of the money to a friend, who was able to buy a Pandora for it. :)

Edit: From my experience it is much harder to port something from Android to the Pandora than from linux.

Are you from the eduke team?

If so, you might want to contact lunixbochs about including libGL into some Android port first. There are still some problems like wrong textures (graffity mainly) and some problems with the sgx gpus that draw all blocky and corrupted textures after a while.

Yes, I am from the EDuke32 team. I actually started the project in 2004. Now I can rightfully claim EDuke32 is an award-winning port... hahaha. I guess I'm glad our decade of hard work bought your friend a Pandora... hope he enjoys it? I understand that porting things to Android is much more involved, I was just hoping the renderer had already been converted to OpenGL ES for this build. I didn't realize that glshim project was that much of a "plug and play" sort of solution.

Anyway, sorry that r_vbos 0 didn't get the HRP models working... it was just a guess. You might try a newer svn revision, never know when something has been fixed. Is this OpenPandora EDuke32 build linked to glshim statically or dynamically? I don't see any reference to it at all in the code posted (in fact, the Makefile variables controlling the GL renderers being enabled are all disabled)...

Glshim is a dynamic lib.it is not linked against directly.

I built it against mesagl and replaced the libGL from mesa with the one from glshim.

You know, you can speak openly here. Don't be sarcastic. If you demand a donation or something for your work on eduke, just freaking say it.

I am not swimming in money, but I can surely donate some to your project.

Edit: For the GL build, just enable all of the GL options in the makefiles.

They are not activated here as this snapshot was the one that I entered into the conpor where no OpenGL stuff was activated.

There were no codechanges needed to build and run with glshim.

Edit2: Almost forgot:

Thank you for further improving and supporting DukeNukem 3D!

Eduke32 is a really good and mature engine by now :)

Btw. Newer svn releases seem to be broken somehow on the Pandora, but I will try to get one running if I can find some more time. I made a donation and will donate the same amount next month.

Ah, I assure you I'm sarcastic in character, not out of overt irritation. I demand no donations (but thanks for what you sent)! It is honestly pretty cool that EDuke32 is good enough to be submitted verbatim and win a contest for best port on a particular platform. I just wish I had more time to work on it these days. Thanks for the kind words regardless.

I wonder what makes the newer svn revisions not run on the Pandora... it's too bad the things are so expensive, it looks like a really neat device. At $600 for the GHz edition I think my wife would murder me. :D

Well, yes but it's really worth the money imho. You can get a classic or a rebirth edition for around 250 - 350 if you want one.

I have one of the first CC units and everything runs pretty good on it.

When it comes down to optimising it is even better to have the weakest device so if it runs there it will most likely run on every Pandora.

I actually have no Idea, and no time :(

You could build it yourself of course and try to debug.

But looks like we have TerminX now here. If he has no clue, I am not sure who could know something.

It might as well be a problem with lunixbochs libGL. You can check the pnd_run out or eduke32.log of course to see if there are any problems with glStuff. eduke is quite verbose.

I didn't realize that glshim project was that much of a "plug and play" sort of solution.
It should actually work on Android with minimal tweaks. You might need to do your own window / context creation. The OpenGL translation layer works fine even if you don't use glX to make your context.

The screenshot is stretched as I resized it from 800x600.

I think the game renders at native widescreen. But I am not completely sure.

I hacked the videomode in as there was no 800x480 mode in software rendering.

Maybe for native widescreen you need opengl, as the buildengine does a lot of tricks to fake 3d in software.

Real mouselook etc. Is just used in the gl port afaik.
Hi mcobit,

Could you explain how to make eduke work in fullscreen using 800x480 videomode? I need that for erampage port, which is basically eduke from 2009.

You can simply hack the source to set a 800x480 videomode and add that to the list of available resolutions. Have a look at my sources. I think I uploaded them somewhere. Have a look into the mail ported game thread.

Back