Port Request: Goldsource/Xash3D (Half-Life)

Talonite

Still Fresh
I'd like to request Half-Life. No wait! (sheilds self from posts concerning the closed-source nature of the Goldsource engine), I didn't mean that.

Someone has made a custom-engine of the goldsource engine, meaning if you extract the half life .cfg files with Nem's tools, and replace the hl executable aswell as the client/server dll's with that of Xash3D, you can run Half-Life (with improved physics, and removed limitations like num_edicts) aswell as any mod for it. So you can play "They Hunger", right down to Svencoop (don't test me on the later, I'm just guessing. They-Hunger worked for me though).

hl_2012-02-24_02-30-38-46.png

(Looks far better than the orignal too)

http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine/downloadsThe source code for Xash.dll is included in the more recent builds, I'm not sure what this means, or if a port would be possible. But I'd say it's a step in the right direction for porting Half-Life + it's numerous modifications. (working multiplayer is included in Xash too)

And yeh, I've seen goldsource running on a win98 emulator on a Pandora, with the 1ghtz model and it's awful! I've also heard talk of trying to get it to run in various quake-related engines, (because goldsource is a heavily modified version of it), but getting that working seems more of an effort, + the mods wouldn't work without heavy modding. Quake and goldsource also have different .bsp/.world (map) file versions, so they're not compatible anyway.

I'd like to think that this is a reasonable request, but I may just be talking out my own ass :)

Still, who doesn't want to play the amazing Half-Life on the Pandora? The source 2007 code libraries were also leaked... but that might be overstepping the mark.

that mod containt really all the code? there's no old half-life dll used?

if yes, that would be great...

Last time I looked this seemed to need several original .dlls to work. Also the source is rather tied to windows too, there were some Linux porting efforts but after quick google I don't see any of them to be finished.

Ah ok. Again, I wasn't really sure how this would all work out.

It's a shame though, becasue there has been allot of interest in Half-life on the Pandora.

The shame is, that it would theoretically run wonderful, just isn't opensource and cannot be played natively...

This would be awesome. You say only the menu isn't working without original DLLs? What about an ncurses based menu instead, and then the game would start directly after that? You wouldn't be avble to get to the menu via escape though.

GUI means not only the menu... but if you look on their source code page, removing the dependances to theses binaries are parts of their objectives...

GUI means not only the menu... but if you look on their source code page, removing the dependances to theses binaries are parts of their objectives...
Yeah. I suppose some sort of simple replacement gui could be written, for health and ammo and such.

Back