Poll: Are You Going To Buy A Pandora?

This might sound like a stupid question to ask here. I am actually more interested in seeing the num

• Yes, I will be one of the first 3100 people to get one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if I have the money for it when it comes out

• I plan to wait until I see if Pandora is sucessful before I buy one

• No, I most likely will not buy one

• Total voters

Magnulus said:
At the moment, my wedding in august kind of takes precedence over the Pandora, so I'll probably have to wait until the third batch.
Or, you could get your fiancee one... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
_VWV_ said:
Can I ask a question about thi first 3000 batch? Will I be able to buy the Pandora in the UK in a real shop, not online? Or will it only be available via online preorder?
i thing the first 3000 batch will only be sold online but after that i thing yes even the gp2x was sold at some real shops ;)

Jarska333 said:
Magnulus said:
At the moment, my wedding in august kind of takes precedence over the Pandora, so I'll probably have to wait until the third batch.

^^ What he said. If I was lucky enough to have one of the latter (all in due course...), I'd definitely buy her one of the former, if I knew she'd appreciate it (and knowing myself, it's fairly likely that any hypothetical "she" I might warm up to, would be one that is inclined to appreciate it). :lol:
Though do consider the fact that if you do get one for your fiancee, you'd better get yourself one (a Pandora, that is) as well (for netplay, if nothing else), so it'll double the dent in your budget. Though if you wait, and buy two, one of'em will make a great anniversary gift next year. ;)

pcklee123 said:
What can I buy with $399?

Asus EEEPC
OLPC (x2 one as donation)
Nokia N810
Everex Cloudbook
Elonex One (x2)
USED Sharp Zaurus SLC1000
Sony PSP slim (x2)
Used Sony PSP (x3)
Apple iphone/ ipod touch

Assuming you're providing that list to show that the p&|a is too expensive, then let's take a look at that list:

Asus EEE PC - bigger, not open, no games controls
OLPC - buy one donate one program is closed (I think)
Nokia N810 - no USB host, no game controls, no keyboard (and I already have one)
Everex Cloudbook - Same deal as the EEE - but not as polished as the Asus entry
Elonex One - Yet another EEE sized device - you ain't gonna put that in your pocket (unless maybe your name is Hagrid)
USED Sharp Zaurus SLC1000 - OK - that speaks for itself
PSP - great for commercial games, starting to get OK for homebrew, no support (?) for UMPC stuff
iPhone / iTouch - when they release the SDK (it's being delayed until next month) it will make an interesting platform but closer to the N810 than to the p&|a

That's an interesting list of stuff but the p&|a still wins my next gadget purchase dollars (I want one of the first 100 - where do I sign up?)

teggun said:
don't forget the eee is significantly more powerful than the pandora..

from Exophase http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost....mp;postcount=56
You don't really know that. The CPU might end up being more powerful (when clocked all the way on EEE), but I'm going to bet on the GPU on Pandora (it has shaders for one thing)

The thing is, because of all the ARM based handhelds that have been out a lot of high performance ARM code has been written. I imagine that no one is going to bother writing a DS emulator that's fast enough to run well on EEE. On Pandora it's a totally different story.

:p

teggun said:
It doesn't matter - the EEE is a different device - it's a mini-laptop. I want the p&|a so that I can put it in my pocket and always have it with me - rather than thinking "should I bring my backpack along?". Once I've decided to bring a backpack I can get a far better choice of computing machinery to play with...

cappuchok said:
Jarska333 said:
Magnulus said:

^^ What he said. If I was lucky enough to have one of the latter (all in due course...), I'd definitely buy her one of the former, if I knew she'd appreciate it (and knowing myself, it's fairly likely that any hypothetical "she" I might warm up to, would be one that is inclined to appreciate it). :lol:
Though do consider the fact that if you do get one for your fiancee, you'd better get yourself one (a Pandora, that is) as well (for netplay, if nothing else), so it'll double the dent in your budget. Though if you wait, and buy two, one of'em will make a great anniversary gift next year. ;)

Hah! Yeah, I don't think so. She's already hogging the Eee. ^_^
Anyway, she's not a Pandora kind of person, really. Oh, she loves her games, but she never really had any interest in the GP2X, and I doubt I'd get her interested in the Pandora. She wouldn't be able to tear herself away from Neverwinter Nights 2 and her mod-packed Morrowind for long enough for one thing! ^_^

jdh2550 said:
Nokia N810 - no USB host, no game controls, no keyboard (and I already have one)
Errr... The N810 does have USB OTG (which is sort of a whimpy USB host), it does have a D-pad (not "games controls", but at least it has something) and it most certainly does have a keyboard. Are you sure you have one?

Karel Jansens said:
jdh2550 said:
Errr... The N810 does have USB OTG (which is sort of a whimpy USB host), it does have a D-pad (not "games controls", but at least it has something) and it most certainly does have a keyboard. Are you sure you have one?

Oops, slap me with a wet fish I have the N800 - and a N770, I've mostly played with the N770 (for a work project and ordered the N800 because it was cheap (for the same project) and haven't actually played with it much yet).

Sorry for being so dumb. :(

jdh2550 said:
teggun said:
It doesn't matter - the EEE is a different device - it's a mini-laptop. I want the p&|a so that I can put it in my pocket and always have it with me - rather than thinking "should I bring my backpack along?". Once I've decided to bring a backpack I can get a far better choice of computing machinery to play with...

Yeah I realise that but you were comparing the Pandora and EEE unfairly, the asus will easily thrash the Pandora at word processing, web browsing and desktop related stuff. The argument for choosing pandora over eee because the eee is bigger and lacks gaming controls is invalid because it creates the illusion that these are the only two differences in the products, when really the eee can do some stuff a lot better than the pandora can (and vice versa)

Remember the EEE PC has a 5.2Ah battery and lasts just over 3 hours of light use with Wifi disabled. Battery life vs. Performance.

teggun said:
jdh2550 said:
teggun said:

Yeah I realise that but you were comparing the Pandora and EEE unfairly, the asus will easily thrash the Pandora at word processing, web browsing and desktop related stuff. The argument for choosing pandora over eee because the eee is bigger and lacks gaming controls is invalid because it creates the illusion that these are the only two differences in the products, when really the eee can do some stuff a lot better than the pandora can (and vice versa)

OK, perhpas I should have just said "not as portable" and left it at that? We agree that they're a different class of machine so it's debatable whether the eee (and the two eee wannabes) belong on this list? For example the iPaq (blech) is not on that list - nor do I think it should be. Anyway - it doesn't much matter.

Now that I've also been schooled in the N810 (vs. my mistaking it for an N800) the N810 is starting to look like a pretty good competitor to the p&|a for those where gaming is secondary rather than primary. I will likely get a p&|a for my personal use, but I might see if I can scare up the funds for an N810 for my work project.

I still think the p&|a is a more versatile platform than the N810 and is at least $70 cheaper too (found the N810 listed for $399.99)

Frogboy said:
This might sound like a stupid question to ask here. I am actually more interested in seeing the numbers. Obviously most of us plan to buy one but how many of us are there?
I plan on buying one, but only after the price drops or a killer app I just HAVE to have comes out and I don't foresee that happening, but you never know. This is especially true in the non-game department. If it turns out to be a great pda / mobile web device similar to the Zaurus and has a screen that is suitable for long reading sessions than I will probably bite the bullet and get it relatively early. Barring that though, I will probably be a late adopter. I did the same thing with the gp2x and I discovered the gp32 around the middle of it's life. The gp2x is great for game playing, but I would read on the gp32 (non lit) any day over the gp2x. The gp2x screen lighting gives me a headache when trying to read, but is otherwise great. I just wish they wouldn't even mention the ebook reading abilities, because they suck and bring the device down.

Chris

Magnulus said:
You are looking at this completely wrong! Once you get married, you will have to justify the purchase to your wife, who will, if she is like most of the women I know, ask what's wrong with your gp2x? Do you have any idea how many pairs of shoes can be purchased with nearly $400? Then there is the inevitable children you'll need to save for, the house or the bigger house, the bigger car... Women also don't want to live on beer and pizza. Most of them want good quality and variety of food, so expect larger food bills. And you will be absolutely amazed at how many different hair care / beauty products the average woman needs. How many brushes can one woman use? 10-? 20? Don't be surprised. My wife has a Tupperware thing of brushes and combs and thats just brushes and combs. Buy it as soon as it comes out, it will increase the chance that you'll be able to get it at all:)

Chris

But in the end, their worth it and we love em.

jdh2550 said:
Karel Jansens said:
jdh2550 said:

Oops, slap me with a wet fish I have the N800 - and a N770, I've mostly played with the N770 (for a work project and ordered the N800 because it was cheap (for the same project) and haven't actually played with it much yet).

Sorry for being so dumb. :(

[Let the pedantics continue!]

If you install ITOS2008 on the N800, it'll have USB OTG as well. And just ask Arnims/Pupnik how many classic games have been ported to the 770 (NOT "N770", dammit! B) ) and N800 platform.

(Please note that I don't urge anyone to install ITOS2008 on their N800, as it's a piece of excrement full of bugs)

Karel Jansens said:
If you install ITOS2008 on the N800, it'll have USB OTG as well. And just ask Arnims/Pupnik how many classic games have been ported to the 770 (NOT "N770", dammit! B) ) and N800 platform.

(Please note that I don't urge anyone to install ITOS2008 on their N800, as it's a piece of excrement full of bugs)
This is great news. I need USB for the work project. So, it's time to cover my N800 in poop, so to speak. BTW, if it's N800 why is it not N770? ;-)

jdh2550 said:
This is great news. I need USB for the work project. So, it's time to cover my N800 in poop, so to speak. BTW, if it's N800 why is it not N770? ;-)
Ask Nokia...

About the conversion to ITOS2008: Be advized that only programs (re)compiled for it will work, that you might encounter problems with the "softpoweroff" setting (well, it doesn't work anymore, is basically the problem), that there are lots of reported problems with the onscreen keyboard (and a few with bluetooth keyboards) and that I've most likely forgotten quite a lot of other oopsies Nokia inadvertently programmed into their new operating system.

It's Microsoft all over again...

christo930 said:
Magnulus said:
You are looking at this completely wrong! Once you get married, you will have to justify the purchase to your wife, who will, if she is like most of the women I know, ask what's wrong with your gp2x? Do you have any idea how many pairs of shoes can be purchased with nearly $400? Then there is the inevitable children you'll need to save for, the house or the bigger house, the bigger car... Women also don't want to live on beer and pizza. Most of them want good quality and variety of food, so expect larger food bills. And you will be absolutely amazed at how many different hair care / beauty products the average woman needs. How many brushes can one woman use? 10-? 20? Don't be surprised. My wife has a Tupperware thing of brushes and combs and thats just brushes and combs. Buy it as soon as it comes out, it will increase the chance that you'll be able to get it at all:)

Chris

But in the end, their worth it and we love em.

Why d'you think I've been living with her for four years already? I've already scoped out the price of my woman long in advance, and i've made sure I got a model that's non-compatible with children. Also: Beer and pizza are more expensive than a balanced, healthy diet in any case, so we've steered ourselves in that direction anyway. Also, I made sure to get a girl with feet that require a specific type of shoe, so she tends to not have a lot of different pairs. We're both students, so houses are out of the question, and we live in Edinburgh so we have no use for a car.

Sorry, mate. I'm afraid you must have gotten a bad deal on your wife unit. You should try for the money-back guarantee! :D

Always nice to be part of a growing community, so I'd like to be part of it from the start. So count me in for a pre-order.

Back