Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Yes, but not more than 10 EUR

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • No, i dont want to buy commercial apps for OP

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

Would You pay for commercial Pandora-Exclusive APP?

[x] YES

Would You pay for commercial Pandora-Exclusive Game?

[x] YES

Would you like to pay upfront for game thats not released, but will be in next months?

[x] YES, but after i see the screens / videos [and i like it] (ideally I would like to pay when the app is released but I could be coerced)

Yes, Yes, No.

I'd like to see a demo or such before. Otherwise no problems with paying for good software.

Would you like to pay upfront for game thats not released, but will be in next months?

[x] YES, but after i see the screens / videos [and i like it] (ideally I would like to pay when the app is released but I could be coerced)

On that savage ground like pandora community, i think its best way for Indie dev to support his game development is to get money upfront, since game will be pandora-exclusive and there will be no release on other system so the risk of fail is very big.

edit: even on release you will have only screens, since demo-versions from indie dev's are not existing on wild [that i know about]

Last edited:
Yes, Yes, No for me.

Though there would be a strong 'cultural' resistance to paying for Pandora apps, as everything so far has been free for the end user.

Apps would not have to be Pandora exclusive to make them worth paying for, for instance is someone released a commercial game well suited to portable gaming and offered the chance to pay for either a windows version or a Pandora version I'd go for the Pandora version.

Apps would not have to be Pandora exclusive to make them worth paying for, for instance is someone released a commercial game well suited to portable gaming and offered the chance to pay for either a windows version or a Pandora version I'd go for the Pandora version.

lets take a quasist game like AAA, do You think i'll sell itself on windows platform? not really.. but if released for specific community [for example retro-loving pandorians] it will sell better than on windows platform. You need to targer your app or game wisely..

In third question. I might pay in advance but I'd require something more than screens, preferably developer's reputation.

Voted.

I do not totally deny the idea of pre-paying the game, but it must be something awesome for me to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

On that savage ground like pandora community, i think its best way for Indie dev to support his game development is to get money upfront, since game will be pandora-exclusive and there will be no release on other system so the risk of fail is very big.

edit: even on release you will have only screens, since demo-versions from indie dev's are not existing on wild [that i know about]

of course the dev needs to set their expectations, its not like the pandora has that many users that you could currently make enough money to live on via software, of course hopefully this will change

Please consider that only beginner developer / micro indie-dev will would like to invest a time [and money which are invested minute by minute when writing line by line of code..] in projects for OP, so please dont expect GAMELOFT-like games on OP. You cant expect indie dev to release anything for OP, if there will be no interest in paying for a game [thats why i created a 3-rd question, which is most important and crucial for indie devs]

Edit:

OpenPandora userbase is so limited that is no other way, but to get a money upfront for game development. Please consider that.

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered a lot of big name commercial games, some of which end up delayed for a year or more. Making a definitive decision to never do so for independent titles seems pretty rude.

Yes, Yes, No (in general). There would possibly be circumstances to move that (Had Hideki announced his intention to make PandElite, I would quite possibly have payed upfront), but in general, no. And no, I haven't preordered and prepaid any other commercial game since FFVIII :D

EDIT: And I would be a lot more positive to preordering/prepaying an indie game than a big "commercial title", really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only would pay for long time motivating, really good games. And I mean "Minecraft - good" and "Diablo 2 - good" ;) I wouldn't pay for good looking but more or less simple "casual" Arcade-style games or Puzzle Games or stuff like this.

I know there's a limited audience in comparison, but personally if I were buying commercial games or apps for the Pandora, I wouldn't want to pay more than 69p which is as much as I'll spend on a game/app for my iPhone. Like I say, there's a massive difference in volume but unfortunately, Apple have set the bar that low and I'd feel aggrieved to go over that. (unless it was an abso-fekking-lutely spectacular MMORPG that everyone who owned a Pandora was playing too).

For me how much I'm willing to pay, depends on quality, I'd be happy to pay $2 for simple games like Super Geometry Dust, but If someone was to make something really good, like a full length RPG I would pay up to $20 probably.

I only really speak for myself, but I think Pandora customers might have an aversion to paying for something before it exists ;)

Thus, my answers were: Yes, Yes, No.

I'd pay for something useful (ie. I needed it), or if I thought it would be cool... but given the small user base of the pandora... I can't imagine

commercially developing applications for it would be economically feasible.

I'd pay for something useful (ie. I needed it), or if I thought it would be cool... but given the small user base of the pandora... I can't imagine

commercially developing applications for it would be economically feasible.

That's where I stand on the matter too... I'm willing to buy software to use on the Pandora, and have already done so, eg Descent from gog.com, but to be honest the only influence the platform has on my buying decisions is in matters of compatibility.

- Neelix

Back