Release PokerTH 0.8.3 'beta'

good lad rob ive been waiting for this. thanks again just giving it a quick try now and will report back once ive got a decent bit of game play done

sweet well i played through an hour and it all seemed to work A ok. I havent tryed to see if the online works as i havent set an acount up yet.

Good work from what ive seen so far

Well I just tested online play with the PokerTH servers, and it works just fine. Some size issues on the Lobby (too much for the screen), but it plays correctly. Though I lost with a pair of fours. :/

yer i registered an account to have a go the screen isnt to bad, i moved the screen up a few centimeters (holding shift) and i can view everything. it just loses the settings menu and the top and a third of the avitar sat at the top of the table? no biggy though its still more than enjoyable

Thanks Mr Rob, seems to work very well. Sadly, my forty year old eyes have problems with the current sizing, but I love playing poker, so this is fills the void nicely here on the Pandora.

Chris

Thanks Mr Rob, seems to work very well. Sadly, my forty year old eyes have problems with the current sizing, but I love playing poker, so this is fills the void nicely here on the Pandora.

Chris
I was playing it last night, and my youngish eyes have problems with a couple things, too.

In a future version, I'll be setting the text size of the log to be a bit bigger. The game also ships with 4-color cards (so clubs and spades are differentiable, etc.), I can't remember if I included those or not, if I did, they may be the wrong size, anyway. But I want to have those be available and set up correctly, and possible a third set of cards that don't have the designs, just a big ol' 4H for the four of hearts, etc.

Other recommendations are welcome, I have a list of changes anyway, I can include other things to make the game more playable in the next version....

I preffer "classic" coloured Cards, I have seen 4 couloured Poker cards (also used for "Skat" ) and they look...strange. I'm sure it is just about how the Cards are designed, the GP2X Poker Game had pretty tiny Card graphics and all was clearly visible. :)

Maybe you also could add an optional "Card zoom" on mouse over or anything like this to improve the visibility a little bit more?

I preffer "classic" coloured Cards, I have seen 4 couloured Poker cards (also used for "Skat" ) and they look...strange. I'm sure it is just about how the Cards are designed, the GP2X Poker Game had pretty tiny Card graphics and all was clearly visible. :)

There's a 'Preferences' option that allows users to switch to a different deck of cards. I'd keep the current ones default, but just include more decks for visibility reasons. It'd be a hassle for users to change the deck themselves (possible, dump the correct thing in appdata); best to include a couple extra sets in the PND instead.

I have all of QT in there, so the extra couple decks will have a negligible effect on size.

Maybe you also could add an optional "Card zoom" on mouse over or anything like this to improve the visibility a little bit more?

Ha, getting things to fit in-screen was a hassle enough; I don't plan on adding any brand new features.

It is very enjoyable as-is. Address the readability and whatever other usability tweaks, and I'd say you've got one of the more solid ports by far.

Great work.

I quickly played some hands and the game really seems to be usable. Changing language is also a nice Feature. :) In the Options Menu you can disable some of the Info windows, pretty useful. I also set the CPU Players to 6 for more overview but the Table Layout doesn't change at all (auto re-arrangement of the players or something like this) so it makes no difference compared to 10 Players. ^^

Poker TH seems to make a log file and writes it to the NAND, is this correct? The on screen log window is actualy useful, even if it's hard to read, I wonder if a bigger font could chance this without affecting the size of these Window(s)?

Nice Idea that you include more Card themes if available, the current cards are really not made for Mobile gaming.

Is there a option to continue a Game after quitting the Program? I also search for an option to speed up the remaining game after I lost, without manual speed slider adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quickly played some hands and the game really seems to be usable. Changing language is also a nice Feature. :) In the Options Menu you can disable some of the Info windows, pretty useful. I also set the CPU Players to 6 for more overview but the Table Layout doesn't change at all (auto re-arrangement of the players or something like this) so it makes no difference compared to 10 Players. ^^

Yeah, I believe even in the original, it just leaves seats empty. The current QT setup doesn't really allow for actually removing seats and resizing.

Poker TH seems to make a log file and writes it to the NAND, is this correct? The on screen log window is actualy useful, even if it's hard to read, I wonder if a bigger font could chance this without affecting the size of these Window(s)?
Nah, it dumps it into your appdata directory on the memory card (of course correct me if you notice otherwise). By default, it does a write every time there's activity, apparently; a user could configure it per hand, etc.

Yep, just setting the font size bigger in the theme (or possibly in the QT builder) should make the log and online chat bigger. While originally making it, I went way overboard with the 'everything must be smaller', so I'll bump that up a bit next build.

Nice Idea that you include more Card themes if available, the current cards are really not made for Mobile gaming.

Is there a option to continue a Game after quitting the Program? I also search for an option to speed up the remaining game after I lost, without manual speed slider adjustments.
There's some nice user-made ones at the pokerth.net site, I'll grab a handful on the next build, with the aim of having the original, original four color, and probably a set of these: http://nobus1967.dev...-deck-136327132 in two and four color varieties. Suggestions are welcome if you find others. If anyone wants to make Pandora specific card backs, I can toss those in, too.

And I don't think there are any options to save a game, or to speed up play after you fold. Shame, you'd think those would be nice features.

Ok some more things I noticed during gameplay:

THe game really wants to write the Log file on the NAND but can't I guess. Default Path is /mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob/.pokerth/log-files/ I will chane it to the Poker TH appdata folder and see what happens. Config is stored correctly.

OK, tested and now he writes to the SD card. Suddenly I have 3 new folders in the PokerTH appdata folder besides just the config. Folders are: cache, data and log-files. I'm sure before there was only the cfg file.

Next is the pnd out file. There are some strange "failed" warnings in, however, not that much like yesterday, maybe it is because I changed the logfile path?

Code:
=======================================================================================

PND         	: /media/FUSI_SD/pandora/menu/pokerth.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : /media/FUSI_SD/pandora/appdata/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME     	: pokerth.exec

ARGUMENTS   	: <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/FUSI_SD/pandora/appdata/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (pokerth.exec ) ----------

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed for BOM: Bad file descriptor

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

ALSA lib pcm.c:7223:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed for BOM: Bad file descriptor

load glyph failed err=6 face=0x2a132a80, glyph=576

QFontEngine: Glyph neither outline nor bitmap format=0

[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application (pokerth.exec ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 16

I always wonder about the line "rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob': Device or resource busy" I have similar messages in every pnd out logfile. I hope it is nothing serious.

Besides that, PokerTH runs fine. I spot some cosmetic bugs like the cut out R at the end of "Winner" message. The Community Cards and their Area on the table still have some free space around, maybe this can be used to make them a little bit bigger?

Ok some more things I noticed during gameplay:

THe game really wants to write the Log file on the NAND but can't I guess. Default Path is /mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob/.pokerth/log-files/ I will chane it to the Poker TH appdata folder and see what happens. Config is stored correctly.

OK, tested and now he writes to the SD card. Suddenly I have 3 new folders in the PokerTH appdata folder besides just the config. Folders are: cache, data and log-files. I'm sure before there was only the cfg file.

Next is the pnd out file. There are some strange "failed" warnings in, however, not that much like yesterday, maybe it is because I changed the logfile path?

I always wonder about the line "rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob': Device or resource busy" I have similar messages in every pnd out logfile. I hope it is nothing serious.

Besides that, PokerTH runs fine. I spot some cosmetic bugs like the cut out R at the end of "Winner" message. The Community Cards and their Area on the table still have some free space around, maybe this can be used to make them a little bit bigger?

Ha, Fusion_Power, /mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob/.pokerth IS the appdata folder. Sort of, read on.

Linux has this nice feature that allows you to mount directories/filesystems wherever you want.

The way the PND system works is that first, the PND is mounted as a loopback device on /mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob, and then /media/SD_CARD_NAME/pandora/appdata/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob is mounted on top of /mnt/utmp/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob as a UnionFS. Think of it as an overlay of a Linux mount point, they mount on top of each other, and data written to it goes into the appdata directory. This is so everything has a predictable file path to read and write to, without it every PND would need to know/guess the name of your SD card, etc.

Browse to your appdata directory on your SD card, and you'll see that everything is there (you might need to reveal hidden directories, as pokerth should put all of it's configuration files in pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob/.pokerth -- a dot before a directory means it's hidden). And this should be the same for most/all PNDs. Wesnoth, PCSX rearmed, etc.

If an app does write to the NAND, usually it's in the user's home directory: /home/yourusername/. But look around, you shouldn't find any PokerTH files there.

I have all hidden files visible. I didn't knew this Linux file path around the corner thingy but fact is, there was no files in the PokerTH appdata folder (except the config file) until I directly changed the logfile Path straight to the SD card with the appdata folder.

NOW there are html formated log files in, this was not before, I'm sure. ;) So at least on my Pandora it definitley doesn' like the way over this utmp path thing. ^^"

I have all hidden files visible. I didn't knew this Linux file path around the corner thingy but fact is, there was no files in the PokerTH appdata folder (except the config file) until I directly changed the logfile Path straight to the SD card with the appdata folder.

NOW there are html formated log files in, this was not before, I'm sure. ;) So at least on my Pandora it definitley doesn' like the way over this utmp path thing. ^^"

Ha, alright, I'll take a look at my appdata when I get a chance. I always just saw that path in the preferences menu, so I assumed it wrote it correctly. Also, I can't imagine the PokerTH log file is that particularly useful, but I digress. In the future, I'll probably make the default configuration to write after each hand (or game); now by default it writes after each 'game action' which is a bit ridiculous.

Also, did you find anything in your home directory?

Also, we should set up a Pandora PokerTH online game sometime. Could be fun.

I searched but I didn't found anything in the home directory (yet) what could belong to PokerTH. I actualy don't need the log files but I just wanted to make sure thet the game writes his stuff where it belongs. :)

My Poker Skills are far from good, I better practise a while with the CPU opponents, they are OK but make weird decissions sometimes. I only won 1 of 13 Matches so far by the way. My dangerous "All In"-moves don't scare the AI as much as I hoped. :D

Ha, alright, I'll take a look at my appdata when I get a chance. I always just saw that path in the preferences menu, so I assumed it wrote it correctly. Also, I can't imagine the PokerTH log file is that particularly useful, but I digress. In the future, I'll probably make the default configuration to write after each hand (or game); now by default it writes after each 'game action' which is a bit ridiculous.

Also, did you find anything in your home directory?

One thing to keep in mind here is that you can't write to a subfolder of the mount point unless the subfolder itself already exists in the appdata folder. If you need for your program to be able to write to such a folder you need to create it first in the run script. (mkdir -p is your friend.)

-Neelix

Anyone want to confirm this?

On mine, after playing some online and local games, have in....

/media/SDCARD_NAME/pandora/appdata/pokerth-0.8.x-mrrob/.pokerth/

a 'cache' directory, config.xml, a 'data' directory (empty for me at the moment), and a 'log-files' directory, with logs on the inside in html.

So for me (and I'm using the same PND as everyone else), everything seems to be fine and dandy.

Also, check out my Poker Hero's Profile: http://www.poker-heroes.com/profile.html?user=Mr%20Rob Yay for 25% win percentage?

Back