Pocketsnes Hack

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
I had the same problem after installing it the first time. I just deleted it from the SD card and installed it again, it works fine since then, no idea why. Try it out.

btw I found a new test version of PocketSNES on gp2xspain by google translator wich features screen stretching and proper overclocking for the wiz, can't find it right now though :( . It rocks!
...I think you're referring at the following thread on gp32spain ;) :

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=64517

...according to what I quickly saw there (I can read Spanish a bit !) it looks to be really cool !

have fun ;)

Awesome find! This hack is great. Sound is fixed at 22Khz, 32Khz, and 44Khz, with mono or stereo options. There's also a sound hack, options to turn off different sprite layers, and there's scaling (although it looks sort of lame, as expected, it does fill the screen, and it's not that bad.) still has Diagonal tearing. Most games are beyond playable at 700Mhz, at least the ones that weren't playable before (castlevania - vampire's kiss, F-zero, Mario Kart, etc.) and it's pretty cool to have full-screen SNES games on the wiz.

It's a decent upgrade over the current release. Not sure who's fault this is, but it definitely works better than the current release, and I'm using it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
...yes, for the first time I can see PocketSNES working :lol:

...and I need to say that is not that bad ;)

I set the CPU speed to 560Mhz with 22Khz sound and transparencies on:

- most of the games are at 50 fps
- only Castlevania Vampire's kiss occasionaly drop to 27/28 but it's still playable

...I'd say that with some code improvements this emulator could come close to the quality of PicoDrive (50/60 fps for all games at 200Mhz :) )
...ok, I agree that due to the hw complexity of SNES we will maybe need 500Mhz but definitely not 800Mhz !

I have found this video on GP32Spain and I think that's awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MO4mtRHHw

Does anyone know if in this video is he/she using the Pocketsnes Hack or the actual version? I will definitely buy a Wiz! :)

I have found this video on GP32Spain and I think that's awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MO4mtRHHw
Does anyone know if in this video is he/she using the Pocketsnes Hack or the actual version? I will definitely buy a Wiz! :)

from the title in Spanish and the speed of the games, I'd definitely say so ;)

It is nice indeed - virtually everything runs full speed at 800 mhz - even with transparencies. Like I say, nice :)

Full screen is implemented - it is a tad ugly, but perfectly acceptable.

Nice to get full speed SNES so quickly - I'd expect with refinements, less overclock will be required to run everything at full tilt.

Well, off to play Killer Instinct, R-Type 3 and the DKC games :)

Cheers
Simon

I really doubt that Picodrive is actually running at 200MHz.
Sure it doesn't. Whoever did the port hasn't bothered implementing the clock option (like with many others like 8bit modes and gamma), so it does nothing. If he was so good commenting out code why couldn't he comment out the options themselves, that bastard.

, so it does nothing. If he was so good commenting out code why couldn't he comment out the options themselves, that bastard.
They seriously should have just waited for you to do the port yourself, although with all the troubles you've had with Wizes getting lost in the mail I suppose it would have delayed things more. This same problem has been present with the PocketSNES port, some people think that the emulators are actually running this well at 200MHz and have some crazy amount of room to grow. An actual 200MHz Wiz runs terribly.

Sure it doesn't. Whoever did the port hasn't bothered implementing the clock option (like with many others like 8bit modes and gamma"], so it does nothing. If he was so good commenting out code why couldn't he comment out the options themselves, that bastard.[/quote]Yeah, it's a bad, bad world out there. Finance crisis, war, Pandora delay, flamewars, unreliably mail service, incompetently Korean manufacturers and now dilettante use of source code. Let's pray together....
banghead.gif

Sure it doesn't. Whoever did the port hasn't bothered implementing the clock option (like with many others like 8bit modes and gamma"], so it does nothing. If he was so good commenting out code why couldn't he comment out the options themselves, that bastard.
Yeah, it's a bad, bad world out there. Finance crisis, war, Pandora delay, flamewars, unreliably mail service, incompetently Korean manufacturers and now dilettante use of source code. Let's pray together....
banghead.gif
[/quote]lol, well, to stay on topic, I'd like to report a bug.

Set the sound to 44100 stereo, and its scaled to the screen.

Whenever I access and leave the menu, theres a loud crackling noise

Cheers
Simon
Yeah the scaling is ugly blocky scaling, I won't use it.

Someone that can speak Spanish over there should suggest that the Horizontal only (no vertical, there are only a few rows to scale, it isn't worth the ugliness you get) software type scaling like used in Picodrive, Temper, and CPs2 be added to SNES.

Cheers
Simon

Someone that can speak Spanish over there should suggest that the Horizontal only (no vertical, there are only a few rows to scale, it isn't worth the ugliness you get"] software type scaling like used in Picodrive, Temper, and CPs2 be added to SNES.[/quote]It is pretty ugly, but it grew on me, I suppose. Horizontal only scaling would be nice, but I don't speak spanish either. =P Someone should pack this up and throw it in the archive.

Full screen is implemented - it is a tad ugly, but perfectly acceptable.

Nice to get full speed SNES so quickly - I'd expect with refinements, less overclock will be required to run everything at full tilt.

Well, off to play Killer Instinct, R-Type 3 and the DKC games :-"]

Cheers
Simon

Someone that can speak Spanish over there should suggest that the Horizontal only (no vertical, there are only a few rows to scale, it isn't worth the ugliness you get"] software type scaling like used in Picodrive, Temper, and CPs2 be added to SNES.[/quote]It is pretty ugly, but it grew on me, I suppose. Horizontal only scaling would be nice, but I don't speak spanish either. =P Someone should pack this up and throw it in the archive.[/quote]It grew on you? Well warts and fungus can grow on you too but that doesn't mean it is good. It is too ugly for me, I will stick to 1:1 for now.

hey! That's an incredible update!! Works fantasticly. Tho games that used to work before do not work now at all such DKC family!! Will that be sorted in the release? Keep the hard work!!! Thanks!!!

They seriously should have just waited for you to do the port yourself, although with all the troubles you've had with Wizes getting lost in the mail I suppose it would have delayed things more. This same problem has been present with the PocketSNES port, some people think that the emulators are actually running this well at 200MHz and have some crazy amount of room to grow. An actual 200MHz Wiz runs terribly.
...are you serious man :unsure: ... the clock settings on PicoDrive are fake :blink: ?!?

:( ...that's bad news but is that correct that on the Gp32x it runs fine below 300Mhz ?!

If so, I hope that it's only due to the early phase of the porting, lacking completely optimization...otherwise it could be hard to explain :(

Back