Beta Pndstore

Yeah, the potential slips inherent in Ctrl-clicking are what made me hesitate on that one, but I didn't realize it was particularly bad on Pandoras. That's a compelling argument for checkboxes. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of using the existing status column for checkboxes, both from implementation and user-confusion perspectives, so I think I'd just add a new checkbox column. Eventually, of course.

Esn said:
Install/remove should be combined into one button. I don't think there's any reason to have two buttons there; any given item on the list can either be installed or removed, not both.
The Install button, when used on an installed package, currently attempts to upgrade it. I know that's not made clear anywhere, but it's there to easily select just one package for upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempel said:
The Install button, when used on an installed package, currently attempts to upgrade it. I know that's not made clear anywhere, but it's there to easily select just one package for upgrading.
Oh, I see. Why not use the upgrade button for that, though? To avoid confusing naming. Maybe as long as something is selected, it'll only update that particular thing; otherwise, it'll update everything. I'm just thinking that it would be useful to have a single install/remove button, so that you could check off a bunch of items and go do something else. It would allow you to do several things at once, such as the important task of uninstalling old versions of programs at the same time as installing the newer version, in the frequent case when PNDstore shows two or more entries for a program (Firefox 5 is a recent example).

Just tried to run PNDstore, and it won't run. Since the last time I ran it, I've reflashed the OS (and reupgraded to HF5 and sebt3's pnd_run.sh) and used Stuckie's new Lenny Debian Extend every so often.

Here's what the .out file says:

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/PNDstore-1.0.2.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/pndstore
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : PNDstore
ARGUMENTS       : --working-dir=.
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/pndstore"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/pndstore=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/pndstore=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/pndstore"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (PNDstore --working-dir=.) ----------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./PNDstore", line 6, in <module>
    from pndstore_core import options
  File "/mnt/utmp/pndstore/pndstore_core/options.py", line 6, in <module>
    import shutil, os, locale
ImportError: No module named shutil
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (PNDstore --working-dir=.) ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/pndstore': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

That looks the same as the problem rohmux reported earlier in the thread. It's a problem with your firmware, which is somehow missing standard Python modules. I'm not sure what causes this, but I assume it's somehow related to accidental misuse of opkg, though you didn't mention using it at all. So the obvious solution is to reflash, but I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again.

Tempel said:
That looks the same as the problem rohmux reported earlier in the thread. It's a problem with your firmware, which is somehow missing standard Python modules. I'm not sure what causes this, but I assume it's somehow related to accidental misuse of opkg, though you didn't mention using it at all. So the obvious solution is to reflash, but I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again.
Ah, thanks. The only thing I did with opkg was trying to install xev, but without any success.

I should mention that I reflashed with an ancient 2010-05-01 version of the OS, then upgraded that to hotfix 5 with the PND upgrader (mainly because I wanted to test whether some bugs introduced in later hotfixes were around back then). Maybe that version of the OS didn't have the python modules, and the PND upgrader didn't install them either?

I just tracked down a problem with a special pnd-file and pndstore.

It all started when i noticed that Supertux was not listed in pndstore on my Pandora, while it was listed in at repo.openpandora.org. Even after i copied the Supertux-pnd-file manually into my pnd-folder it was not listed. After some tries I noticed that pndstore DOES show Supertux, when my second card was not mounted, and so I assumed that some pnd-files confuses pndstore and started moving away the latest pndfiles that i added. After some experimenting I found out that a "stella.pnd"-file was causing the trouble.

I'm not sure where i got that file from (might be the one from http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/60123-stella-atari-2600-beta-in-pnd/ ), but if you are interested, Temple, then i can send you the file. While the fault is most likely on the pnd-files side, you still might want to track that issue down further more.

Drop me a note, if you do.

So you're saying that, when Stella is on an SD card, PNDstore can't detect certain other PNDs? Or something like that? It certainly sounds like trouble. If you could send me the offending PND, that would be very helpful.

I renamed and uploaded the pnd:

EDIT: download removed

I also tested again if this pnd screws things up when i copy it back to my pandora/menu-folder and it did. So here is what I did to verify the problem:

- without copying the file to any folder that is being searched for pnds: run pndstore and update the list, then click in the list (or alternatively press cursor-up) and start typing "super". After that press down three time. You will browse through "Super Geometry Wars", "Super Methan Bros" and "Super Mario War" and finally reach "Supertux".
- now copy the IMHO broken pnd to some folder that is being searched for pnds. I copied it to /media/trans8/pandora/menu
- update the list in pndstore again, focus the list and type "super" again. For me, this time the last visible game is "Super Methan Bros". No "Supertux" to be found.

I didn't look at the pnd so far. But at least I build a new working one (as it seems so far) which i uploaded to http://repo.openpandora.org/.

Drop me a note once you downloaded the pnd (so i can remove it from webspace) and let me know if you can reproduce the flaw.

Cheers, Lomaxx

All fixed. Version 1.0.3 is on the repo.

The issue was that Stella PXML containing a non-UTF-8 character, even though PXMLs should always be in UTF-8. PNDstore would parse it just fine and put it into its database, but then would choke attempting to read the invalid character. Unfortunately, the error produced was identical to the error produced from a non-existent package, so it would fail silently, then get mad confused down the line. I've changed it so it will no longer fail on bad characters; it'll just put in the replacement character and move on. It was a one-line fix.

Great that you were able to fix it that fast. Thanks for your work on pndstore.

Back