Pms, 5 Minute Delay?

dejunai

Still Fresh
ADMINs,
Responding to primate messages requires a 5 minute delay between PMs.
Isn't that a bit much? I suppose it is intended to fight spam flooding...
Does the board have a setting such that maybe 3 in five minutes is allowed, but the fourth must wait?
Anyway, my 2 cents... 5 minutes between PM's is a bit much.
-DEJ

Heh, actually it was set up for only 1 PM per day, and recently got changed. Also 5 minutes gives you time to properly analyse your next PM. ;)

Wow, one-a-day... was the site sponsored by vitamins?
Actually, I dont know about analyze, you can't even begin the response.
Perhaps if it were to allow you to begin the response, just NOT send it.

In any case I'll live.
It just seems a bit restrictive for an active community board.
I suppose the community is small enuf tho, that most members
have the email addys of the other members they are normally in contact with.

I appreciate your rapid response.
-DEJ

Last edited by a moderator:
What I meant was that it gives you time to think what you're gonna write next. However if you want it to be like an instant discussion thing, then it is a bit annoying...

Edit: "You can't even begin the response"... you mean you're not allowed to save a PM to send later. Not even entering to the PM center directly?

Uh, what I meant was...

Um, I sent a PM to a member yesterday, he responded.
I did not replay right away.
I then was trolling the boards, and sent a new PM, to a different member.
When I was dumped back my inbox, I thought: "now would be a good time to reply to the first PM response".
When I attempted to begin the reply, I was error'd to "NOT YET" dialogue.
I hafta wait 5 minutes, before I can start the response.
But it would have taken 5 minutes to form the response.
In fact it did.
I waited the 5 minutes, started the response and sent it.

I am suggesting, if possible...
Let me start the response. If the 5 minutes has yet to expire when I hit send...
Just save the message. If the current implementation is to combat SPAM, then
auto-sending after 5 minutes is a bad idea. So, I'd hafta come back and send it on my own, a bit later.

I hope I dont seem needy, or complaining.
-DEJ

Edit: Also, if possible.. a total rethink of the PM delay, so that you can send maybe 3 PMs over 5 minutes.
But anymore would trigger the delay. ( to stop bots ) ( or just bad behavior ).

Perhaps, [Reply] could have a different time cycle, or none at all. Seems that would not hinder SPAM combat.
-DEJ

Edit: as to your sig-quote, I think inner children die from neglect. I am 40ish, in the US Army,
about to be deployed again. Inner children must be nurtured like real children. Ignore them
and they wither. :) I might be wrong, tho. Tuberculosis, might just be the problem. :)

I know it's not ideal, but you could start your post in Notepad or a similar quick loading editor, and then when your happy with it the time should be up and you can copy/paste it into the PM box and send :)

Ok, changed to 2 min delay. Should be not long even for impatient person to wait.
Much thX!... But I hope I dont seem impatient... I was just surprised.
No idea what the boards actual controls allow. So I was throwing out ideas.

Anywayz, Much Much ThX...
-DEJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had to do a delay on my forums PM as the spammers have got a new tactic of instead of posting on the forums they spam members via PM. We had something like 30,000 PMs sent to members over a short period of time. The delay makes it harder for them and is easier to spot than if sent all in one go. It is a bit annoying but the inconvenience saves the admin having to delete them all or your PM and in some cases mail inbox full of spam.

Back