Please: Read my posts carefully! (2011-08-26)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While your points are correct, what's different is that people didn't order their PC in 2008 and not receive it until, well, many of us still have no idea when we might get it. That makes it very different. Things are so uncertain already with the Pandora and, let's face it, the history of how things have worked out hasn't been stellar so I think ED's words just added yet another layer of uncertainty. Many people are in this process with their own personal 'I've had enough' line and this probably just sent a few people over their own line. It's understandable. There have already been fears of the Pandora being outdated (things were very different in 2008), and so talks of an upgrade make total sense, but it comes with a fear that some still waiting will have waited 3+ years for a machine that has been replaced before they even receive it.

I can understand people being very antsy. This hasn't been the smoothest process ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, a second option for the better SoC for a higher price might be an option.

We've got 4000 old OMAPs we need to use up, but if 1000 1GHz Pandoras with a higher price sell as well (upgrade from the old one is possible), it might be we get enough users wanting the old, cheaper one or the new, faster one.

Tough things.

Depending on what the team decides, and what you're going to price the upgrade at, I'd certainly be interested in this. If we're probably going to have to wait till next year to see preorders being fulfilled from the new factory, then the upgrade makes it easier to wait.

I kinda wish OP would stick with the original plan. Then once that plan is accomplished go to the next phase.

The Pandora is amazing the way it is now. IMHO the OP team should try to improve quality control rather than upgrading hardware,processor specs.

Let's have more consistency first ,otherwise, the same problems could arise [build wise] with the supposed new and improved model.

Just because a machine does not have cutting edge specs, doesn't mean it can not compete with machines that do.

It's not always what you have but how it is used.

Again i think what is out now should be perfected before moving on to the 'next level'

Don't want to go out of the blue and into the black.

**please see my new youtube vids on the pandora. my youtube screen name is drawohhoward.**

Last edited:
I can understand people being very antsy. This hasn't been the smoothest process ever.

Batch 1 not finished, batch 2 not started, i still don't have my Pandora and neither do around 800 other people.

hahaha... antsy is not exactly the right word when i am informed i purchased an oxidized pcb with a faulty wifi module and people are already talking about Pandora Mk2.

Getting fucking annoyed would be a better term of phrase.

I kinda wish OP would stick with the original plan. Then once that plan is accomplished go to the next phase.

This.

What should have happened is that ED didn't say anything and shipped the remaining pre-orders at 600MHz and then announce that a newer SoC might be available at some point. As it is, people are cancelling their orders because of a hardware upgrade that (and I want to make this perfectly clear now):

A HARDWARE UPGRADE THAT DOES NOT EXIST, AND WILL NOT EXIST

Calm down, folks, it's not happening and there is no newer CPU to be had. Christ, it's like none of you can read or something.

D.

the upgrade is going to be the new standard
In some cases that will mean a difference between not getting anything, and getting something that only runs well on the new CPU (and not so well on the old one). *The new software* will only be viable for those very few fortunate that can currently overclock to 1Ghz.

if I can't play it I'm happy there is someone who can

Ok. So we can now clock to 1Ghz... The new CPU will be able to clock to? ... Certainly it will leave our current CPU in the dust. If the new CPU becomes the standard - and the majority of end users and devs are using the new processor... and with all the competition from current and upcoming hand-helds... I would bet that there will be a heap of good stuff coming out that pushes the limit of the new CPU. It *WILL* become the star.

What would be the motivating factor in getting software optimized for the old Pandora - When it all just works and you have the freedom to do what you want to with the new one? Especially if the old one has been discontinued and has a very small user base.

Those of us stuck with the old CPU. How could we not feel ... similarly left in the dust.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out. It is certainly a very good idea from a business perspective. The only reason not to do it would be concerns on how it's going to affect the current user base.

That's what I would like to know. I really didn't expect this until the Pandora 2... I've had my Pandora only a short while and thought it would be golden for years to come.

The next bit is just me blowing off a bit of steam and I'll probably regret typing this... :unsure:

It's like saying "Ok, so we've been raving about how amazing and capable our product is, but we would like to publicly announce that as it stands now - it's just not good enough. So thanks to everyone that has supported us and allowed us to get to this point by buying the *old* Pandora. Because of you we can now make a *new* one that is quite frankly much better - it has a decent chance of competing in the current market with it's updated hardware. Thanks so much for your loyalty, money, and most importantly, your patience. Your reward for all this is that your old device can still run it's current software library and there is fair chance (as long as you overclock) that you will be able to run some of the exciting stuff yet to come out (but just not very well)....

For everything you can't run - there's always the option to sell your old Pandora and buy the new one.

Again, you have our utmost thanks and gratitude. :D

P.s. Don't install Hotfix 8 on your old Pandora - your system will slow to a crawl. It has been optimized to take advantage of the new CPU and is smooth and flashy. It has been implemented so as to impress potential investors.

Thanks.

I just want the fucking thing.

More RAM would always be welcome, since I plan on using it for a little dev work and maybe even some music. No one in their right mind would refuse more processing power. If they improve the specs and make an upgrade board available, I may well buy one, fit it, and use the old board for experimentation, or even as a media center or something.

But whatever. I just want the thing. And when I get the thing, I will be happy with it.

Now shut the hell up, the internet.

Edit: Sorry, the internet, that might have been a bit harsh. But sometimes, internet, I wish you had a face that I could slap.

This.

What should have happened is that ED didn't say anything and shipped the remaining pre-orders at 600MHz and then announce that a newer SoC might be available at some point. As it is, people are cancelling their orders because of a hardware upgrade that (and I want to make this perfectly clear now):

A HARDWARE UPGRADE THAT DOES NOT EXIST, AND WILL NOT EXIST

Calm down, folks, it's not happening and there is no newer CPU to be had. Christ, it's like none of you can read or something.

D.
i think you need to calm down.

Ok. So we can now clock to 1Ghz... The new CPU will be able to clock to? ... Certainly it will leave our current CPU in the dust. If the new CPU becomes the standard - and the majority of end users and devs are using the new processor... and with all the competition from current and upcoming hand-helds... I would bet that there will be a heap of good stuff coming out that pushes the limit of the new CPU. It *WILL* become the star.

What would be the motivating factor in getting software optimized for the old Pandora - When it all just works and you have the freedom to do what you want to with the new one? Especially if the old one has been discontinued and has a very small user base.
Exophase pointed out in the initial thread about this there hasn't been much optimization efforts and much of those aren't Pandora specific efforts, so unless he's wrong that's a false premise.

As has been covered the dozen or so times the OMAP 3730 vs OMAP 3530 option debate has come up it's for all intents and purposes the exact same part only on 45nm vs 65nm production process. Binaries and other otherwise should be identical between the two, particularly as this is Linux based.

Third (as has been mentioned every other time the DM3730 option has come up):

There's this not so minor issue that OPL bought the 3530s for Batch 2 ahead of time, and unless they can turn around and offload those to Beagleboard, OpenMoko, etc. that means they have back inventory that needs to be cleared some other way ala production units.

Fourth:

What homebrew are you expecting to demarcate between the 3530 and 3730? Unless it involves really inefficient code, both should be powerful enough to kick things into the realm of games pushing the specs not easily developed by individuals/small groups while not being powerful enough to go crazy with the DarkPlaces or IdTech 4 engine.

Hi,

I do not care which hardware my Pandora will have. Better specs, I too would not say no. Whatever happens I am not going to waste thoughts on that. I trust OPT and I am sure they will find the best solution for the project. I just try to be as patient as possible (Not hard until now, I ordered in October 2010). As it was mentioned earlier, i see more in the Pandora then just a piece of hardware defined by its specs. The possibilities I will have form the true value I see in this device.

So if there is a Hardware update, fine. If I am the last one to get old spec, I don't mind, you can push me back or forth in queue if that is helping anyone else (As admin, ED can see my E-Mail address and so really do that since I ordered from him).

I want this project to live on, and my waiting resources (since I am a rather new customer) are far from being used up. I would like to see a Pandora 2, 3 or whatever, as long as it builds on the same Ideas. I do not want this to be the last device of its kind (Would be sad if my Pandora breaks or really gets outdated and I am back at searching the vast marked full of bullshit, barriers, restrictions and other stuff I don't like).

greetings

:Dump

Ok. So we can now clock to 1Ghz... The new CPU will be able to clock to? ...

What new CPU? There isn't one. I can't understand why you (and others) are having so much trouble reading what MWeston posted!

D.

What new CPU? There isn't one. I can't understand why you (and others) are having so much trouble reading what MWeston posted!

D.

Appologies. I have done no further research - responding purely to what I read in this thread alone. It is foolish to state an opinion from an uninformed position - and that's exactly what I did.

Btw... Where is this post from MWeston?

Its been quoted a few times above I think FaeMinx. They basically have a backlog of already bought chips in hand, so unless they can offload them elsewhere, then really the situation is that Batch 1 and 2 will be completed with the original chips and then everyone that comes as a fresh order to the project thereafter, will get a faster board, in a quicker delivery time (ala Premium 7 days and probably for the same $500 price), if production is ramped up to meet demand by the new company.

Grabs popcorn.....
wink.gif

D.

Appologies. I have done no further research - responding purely to what I read in this thread alone. It is foolish to state an opinion from an uninformed position - and that's exactly what I did.

Btw... Where is this post from MWeston?

It's linked by me 2 posts up from your post that I replied to :)

It's kinda hard to miss it tbh :p

D.

Its been quoted a few times above I think FaeMinx. They basically have a backlog of already bought chips in hand, so unless they can offload them elsewhere, then really the situation is that Batch 1 and 2 will be completed with the original chips and then everyone that comes as a fresh order to the project thereafter, will get a faster board, in a quicker delivery time (ala Premium 7 days and probably for the same $500 price), if production is ramped up to meet demand by the new company.

Grabs popcorn.....
wink.gif

K. It's all good then. I guess. :) So long as it's still aaaaages away.

I would just buy another one. Idk, I paid for the first pandora. It's like if I buy an ipod touch 1 week before the new one gets out. I'm stuck with it. That's life. Everything evolves sometime. And if the pandora ever get upgraded, I will buy it and keep my old one, in 50 years it will be considered retro :)

I would just buy another one. Idk, I paid for the first pandora. It's like if I buy an ipod touch 1 week before the new one gets out. I'm stuck with it. That's life. Everything evolves sometime. And if the pandora ever get upgraded, I will buy it and keep my old one, in 50 years it will be considered retro :)
This.

I don't know why so many of you are crying over having an old version, people just want their bloody product and if they get an upgrade for waiting longer, then I don't see why not.

What's truly surprising is how people still have faith in Pandora after all of this, they didn't even offer you guys a free case or anything, it's just a "sorry, looks like it's going to be yet another three months" everytime.

Last edited:
What's truly surprising is how people still have faith in Pandora after all of this, they didn't even offer you guys a free case or anything, it's just a "sorry, looks like it's going to be yet another three months" everytime.

I think the reason is that the Pandora is such an amazing little device - there's literally nothing like it in handheld form. I've had mine since March this year, and it goes everywhere with me. I'm at work at the moment, and all my patients are asleep so I'm just nicely playing a bit of MDK on the PSX emulator and intending to try some of the new homebrew that was released over the last couple of days. When I'm done with that I'll browse the web for a while and maybe work on some documentation in AbiWord for PandaBAS.

It's worth every penny, it really is.

D.

Wellwellwell, this post is no news, but just a small reminder to read my posts CAREFULLY.

I heard from Craig that a lot of people sent him an angry mail about the SoC upgrade and want to cancel right away, etc.

Whoever did that: Please read my posts CAREFULLY.

So far, this is just a possible option that MIGHT happen.

As I said, we neither have a price yet and we also already own more OMAPs, so we'd need to discuss with our distributor about that upgrade as well.

This is far from actually being happening, I just wanted to share my thoughts and ask up front what you think about that.

It's a VERY big IF, but before trying to waste time to check if we can pull that through, we wanted to know what the community is thinking.

No need for a panic at the moment.

Thanks for reading :)
good thing I didnt post anything when I saw the news. I would support the idea though if it would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back