Picodrive For Gp2x

Eliminate Down with sound!!! :eek:

Cotton grafxs working right!!! :eek:

Gargoyle finally works!!! :eek:

Soldiers of Fortune!!! :eek:

I just fell out of my chair! Someone help me up! :eek:

This is great! :D

edit: Burning Force now works OK!

Soldiers of Fortune aka. The Chaos Engine worked with DrMD for quite a while you know :) Mighty fine game!

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
Soldiers of Fortune aka. The Chaos Engine worked with DrMD for quite a while you know :) Mighty fine game!

- Alex

I must of had bad dumps. I never could get it to work right with DrMD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, it sounds like I'm going to have to gie this a try. Herzog Zwei now working? Now that's what I'm talking about! I love drmd, but it's one drawback has alays been compatibility.

notaz posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:35 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:40 AM said:
The shadows problem still hasn't gotten squashed; the shadows in Battletech & Puyo puyo2 are still light blue.
Shadows need 16bit renderer. Make sure you disable "Fast renderer" mode. Switch between default/fast renderer is also mapped to Y by default.

OMFG!!!!!!

</rejoice>

Guru status, STAT!!!

(Thanks³)

Ooh! Thanks very much for this - and thanks also to Reesy for his great emulator and his work on that over the years.

Now - Zool! :lol:

Panorama Cotton WORKS
Wonderboy in Monsterland III WORKS
Great work really :)
Thank you so much
DrMD was really cool (in fact it was the best emulator on gp2x so far)
but really it seems you beat it in every way :)

xinfernoofdantex posted on Sep 9 2006 at 08:28 PM said:
how is this emu speedwise?

Well it's pretty fast but some games I have to overclock to 280 to get 0 frameskip. Also the timing is a bit off. The music in the games I tried kinda stuttered. Graphically it's more accurate, but I don't see this emu really replacing DrMD. It's better to just have both of these great emu's on your gp2x.

geise69 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 10:09 PM said:

Well it's pretty fast but some games I have to overclock to 280 to get 0 frameskip. Also the timing is a bit off. The music in the games I tried kinda stuttered. Graphically it's more accurate, but I don't see this emu really replacing DrMD. It's better to just have both of these great emu's on your gp2x.

Being that the source code is available for both, maybe someone will figure a way to combine them both into "DrPicoMD." That would be very nice. :) Until that happens, I will keep both emus running on my GP2X.

shinneri posted on Sep 9 2006 at 12:21 PM said:
Thank you! The entire menu in Super Baseball 2020 shows up now! Yay, now I can play the best version anywhere! :)

notaz, any intention to add SegaCD support?
Unfortunately that is probably not possible on the GP2X with decent speed. :( It's too bad really, since DrMDx's sound emulation in Ecco 2 is a bit faulty, I'd love to have the CD music. If this emulator has better sound support though, there may be no need ... I'll try it as soon as I get my GP2X put back together. Looks like a great job though .. keep up the good work. :)

Yeah, too bad speed in PicoDrive is kind of bad (or at least not as good as it is on DrMDx), and the same goes for sound, unfortunately. As soon as you put frameskip to 1, it kind of stutters... :/

But HEY! Sensible Soccer works now so I can actually SEE who scored, and laugh about the crazy names ("Birgkamp! haha!").. :)

...wait!.. I have to try this out now.. *tries*
... oh my god! Star Control 1 WORKS! No menu that doesn't appear like it does on DrmdX! This is awesome! :)

/me bows. This piece of software is one of the things that makes owning a GP2x just worth a lot more. Now I can play all those genesis games I usually play on the Gp2x! Awesome! :)

Now somebody dedicated needs to combine the speed and accuracy of DrMD with the flawless compability of picodrive, and the we will get: ÜberDrive!!!

geise69 posted on Sep 10 2006 at 06:09 AM said:
Don't use frameskip 0 because it is has no frame limiter and that screws up sound. Use "auto" frameskip and it will do it's best to do sound properly.

darkman posted on Sep 10 2006 at 10:28 AM said:
Being that the source code is available for both, maybe someone will figure a way to combine them both into "DrPicoMD." That would be very nice. :) Until that happens, I will keep both emus running on my GP2X.
Unfortunately the code differs very much, although both emus aim at same thing, they were developed independedly, they are not modular, so taking parts out and mixing them is not an easy thing to do. Large parts of DrMD are done in asm what makes it even more complex. Perhaps someone could take DrMD's menu and stick it to PicoDrive, but the result wouldn't be DrMD any more.

Megagun posted on Sep 10 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
Yeah, too bad speed in PicoDrive is kind of bad (or at least not as good as it is on DrMDx), and the same goes for sound, unfortunately. As soon as you put frameskip to 1, it kind of stutters... :/
Don't use 44k sound rate (in is very CPU-hungry) and the speed shouldn't differ that much. Of course it is slower, because (1) it renders in 16bit and (2) the ym2612 core is not optimized that well but it has better accuracy.

The current implementation of frameskip is sort of dumb and anything else but "auto" has stuttering sound. I always use "auto" and didn't give much attention to other modes, can someone explain why do people use other modes instead of "auto", which just tries to stick as close to 50/60fps as it can?

Is there no framelimiting then? I've never really thought about it but I always seem to put frameskip to 0 and then overclock if needed. I guess that's not a good method when there's no limiting though.

notaz posted on Sep 10 2006 at 07:23 AM said:
can someone explain why do people use other modes instead of "auto", which just tries to stick as close to 50/60fps as it can?
I remember that some emulators on the GP32 worked faster with a manual FS setting rather than the Auto one. Also, I occasionally set FS 1 or 2 in order to underclock the 2X and save loads of battery life.

- Alex

Back