Picodrive 1.80

traylorpark said:
This just made my day.

What happens when you plug in a USB hub, a Super Famicom controller and a NES controller?
input.jpg

Magic :D
beauty.jpg

I can't wait for my TV cable now.

Picodrive is really amazing :D!!
It's support PS1/PS2 pad:
dsc00054k.jpg

dsc00055yv.jpg

Unfortunately CPS2 emu doesn't support usb controller!

Last edited by a moderator:
Azerty16 said:
Picodrive is really amazing :D !!
It's support PS1/PS2 pad:
dsc00054k.jpg

dsc00055yv.jpg

Unfortunately CPS2 emu doesn't support usb controller!

Heh heh, clever choice of game ;)

@traylorpark
Yea, i had it when I was kid, but two players on the Caanoo screen is not great(wait for the Tv-Out câble)

All problems finished: since I've updated the Caanoo to 1.0.6, Virtua Racing works like a charm. I don't know why, but my Caanoo lost performance... :S, everything seemed to be slow, even official GPH game emulators.

Alright, about that TV-out...

Notaz you already have an amazing emulator here, but I'm humbly and respectfully going to make a request. The TV-out doesn't work, and it would be amazing if it did.

Here's what it looks like.

In the system menu:
1tvout.jpg

In the PicoDrive menu:
2tvout.jpg

When playing a game such as Truxton/Tatsujin:
3tvout.jpg

(certainly increases the difficulty!)

Your great emulator was a primary reason for me ordering the TV-out cable, I really hope you can take a look at this.
Cheers!

traylorpark said:
Alright, about that TV-out...

Notaz you already have an amazing emulator here, but I'm humbly and respectfully going to make a request. The TV-out doesn't work, and it would be amazing if it did.

Here's what it looks like.

In the system menu:
1tvout.jpg

In the PicoDrive menu:
2tvout.jpg

When playing a game such as Truxton/Tatsujin:
3tvout.jpg

(certainly increases the difficulty!)

Your great emulator was a primary reason for me ordering the TV-out cable, I really hope you can take a look at this.
Cheers!

If you run his emu from gmenu2x and have gmenu use its own rom browser it works ;)

qbertaddict said:
If you run his emu from gmenu2x and have gmenu use its own rom browser it works ;)

Alright, I tried something like that ... like, ran the emulator through gmenu2x (didn't select a rom individually(?)) something strange happened during tv out ... it showed up fine, and the audio played fine ... but it seemed like it was only putting out every other frame, or something like that. The caanoo said it was running at full 60 frames per second, but it did not look that way on the screen, looked much lower.

When I didn't use TV out, I didn't have a problem with missing frames through gmenu2x.

Perhaps I did something wrong?

It seems like since the Caanoo firmware 1.06, the sound on Picodrive is slightly off, but it might be my imagination.
Also, there's a fatal bug in the SMS emulator, playing some Wonder Boy III, I hit the fast-forward button, and quickly the screen gets distorted and frozen (like in traylorpark's post), and it quits back to GP2XMenu, functional and all.
Probably because it uncapped the FPS limit to some crazy high number like 980FPS!

everytime i reset the config to default i get this crazy mess on the screen but it is fine again when i exit the emulator and restart it again. has anyone else had this problem?

traylorpark said:
qbertaddict said:

Alright, I tried something like that ... like, ran the emulator through gmenu2x (didn't select a rom individually(?)) something strange happened during tv out ... it showed up fine, and the audio played fine ... but it seemed like it was only putting out every other frame, or something like that. The caanoo said it was running at full 60 frames per second, but it did not look that way on the screen, looked much lower.

When I didn't use TV out, I didn't have a problem with missing frames through gmenu2x.

Perhaps I did something wrong?
I setup a shortcut for picodrive then selected the option for rom browser and selected the correct directory. I then saved it selected the shortcut and then browsed to the rom i wanted. Everything seems to be running fine. All my roms are ntsc and my tv out is set to ntsc. I will try a pal rom and see if i get the dropped frames

Hi, firstly I would like to thank notaz for bringing such a wonderful emulator to the Caanoo, i'm in retro gaming heaven...

...well almost, i'm having difficulty saving games, i've tried using the save state function and I always get the message "save failed". I also get a similar message if I try to save a config "failed to write config".

I've also tried using the ingame save function on Snatcher for Mega CD but my game never saves, am I doing something wrong? I've tried fiddling around with the options but to no avail.

I hope you guys can help me.

Hello again, after doing some thorough research on the internet I have discovered the answer to my problem and it's somewhat embarrassing.

It seems that when I put my SD card into the Caanoo, the write-protect switch on the side of the SD card was pushed down so no data could be written onto it. I put it back into the correct position and the save states work and now I am fully in retro gaming heaven!

Again, thanks to notaz for this emulator and I apologise for my silly problem. :p

qbertaddict said:
I setup a shortcut for picodrive then selected the option for rom browser and selected the correct directory. I then saved it selected the shortcut and then browsed to the rom i wanted. Everything seems to be running fine. All my roms are ntsc and my tv out is set to ntsc. I will try a pal rom and see if i get the dropped frames

First, thanks for taking the time to outline those steps. I was able to do as you said perfectly. However ... it's still acting like someone turned the frameskip up really high (and its not on).

I have a couple diagnostic questions for you: when navigating the menu inside Picodrive when getting through the TV using the method you've suggested, do you have trouble selecting what you want? Like, only every other input is registered on the screen. For example, press down twice, and the highlighted option jumps to spaces ... so you hit down once, and even though you can't see it, the option is selected?
Second, are you using the new firmware?

I also have one more question for everybody, specifically Azerty16: After updating the Caanoo's firmware, have you noticed that USB input of game pads no longer work?
I hope I'm not going crazy...

@traylorpark
My usb joypad still work!
And about Tv-out, for me most game dropped frames and i also noticed a weird things, when the image doesn't move it's pretty good but when something move on the screen it's really awful it's like a bad aliasing!

PD is missing any kind of TV-out handling, no wonder it messes up. Only one TV field is ever updated, so you get interlace/scrolling problems. I've updated my todo list, no idea when I can do an update for the emu though.

About the TV-Out problem, it's the same things with everything.
For example SQRXZ look great when he don't move but everything became weird when is running.

Azerty16 said:
About the TV-Out problem, it's the same things with everything.
For example SQRXZ look great when he don't move but everything became weird when is running.

buy a tv capture card for the pc if you don't have one, hook up your pc with hdmi cable to your tv and the caanoo to the video capture card on the pc, then use an ffdshow enabled viewer so you can apply (deinterlace & other) filters. Thats what i do and works great, no more weird artifacts and you can play with ffdshow filters to improve quality , remove noise etc. or if you have a big monitor the tv part isn't needed anymore :)

Back