Picodrive 1.80

Hi notaz,

thanks for your hard work.
I have one little suggestion: would it be possible to
integrate a volume selector just like in the Wiz version.

For people who play in very silent environments most
of the time the Caanoo is a little troublesome, because
the volume slider won't work for low volumes.

So, having a software option to reduce the master volume would
be ace!

Thanks
Sebastian

sbock said:
Great release, notaz. How is Caanoo compatibility technically solved?
Mostly dealing with analog stick and some firmware and hardware differences (like LCD timings). 1.0.1 already supports OABI binaries so statically linked ones work (you can even run the old Wiz version, it just messes the screen and crashes the system on overclock).

jutley said:
what file types are 32x roms 7z or zip or must be unzipped on this emulater
Either uncompressed or zipped.

jutley said:
any ideas how to compress cega cd files down?
You can make .cso from .iso with various tools for PSP.

eyekicks.com said:
Does this version supports the mouse via touchscreen?
No, where would you use that?

CeNTauR2 said:
I have one little suggestion: would it be possible to
integrate a volume selector just like in the Wiz version.
It's still there, you just need to bind keys in "emulator controls"
Or do you want volume menu option?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks notaz, this is great, absolutely the best thing on the caanoo.

rom selector menu certainly highlights the brighter lower half of the screen :)

cheers, simon

It's still there, you just need to bind keys in "emulator controls"
Or do you want volume menu option?

I would prefer a master volume option in the menu, if that is possible.
In that case you could set a very low master volume and it wouldn't really matter
in what position the slider is when starting a game.

notaz said:
Does this version supports the mouse via touchscreen?
No, where would you use that?
[/quote]
Well, i've tried to play "Eye of the Beholder", and it's unplayable without mouse. :(

eyekicks.com said:
Well, i've tried to play "Eye of the Beholder", and it's unplayable without mouse. :(
The problem is that mouse is a relative device (it tells how much it moved instead of position on screen), and touchscreen is absolute device. The game is programmed to expect relative movements, so it's difficult to get the pointer on the right position. It has been done on Amiga with tricks that rely on how AmigaOS works, but it will not work here as there is no OS.

I took Picodrive on the road earlier and noticed a bunch of sound and physics bugs in Sonic 3&K.
Kinda seemed like Sonic didn't properly respond to slopes sometimes, I dunno.

I booted Picodrive through Gmenu2X, loaded a rom, then a savestate, and got a nasty ringing tone that continued playing even in the emulator menu.
When I loaded Sonic CD, followed by Sonic 3&K, the second game's audio emulation was off.
And in general, music kept stopping during Sonic 3&K, even without water to splash in Marble Garden Zone.

Still great though.

Edit: Oh oh and this one is my favourite.
When I saved a state at the end of the special stage results screen, when it says "Now Sonic can be Super Sonic", loading the game save triggers the "SEGA!" sound effect.

slow? Virtua Racing runs full speed on my Caanoo... maybe try setting frameskip to 1

glezmen said:
slow? Virtua Racing runs full speed on my Caanoo... maybe try setting frameskip to 1

Virtua Racing on the Mega Drive runs fullspeed, Virtua Racing Deluxe on the 32x runs not fullspeed, because the 32x was an upgrade hardware to the Mega Drive.

xenon_soft said:
Hey! Most of games run... flawlessly, except my beloved Virtua Racing :( Do you know why now is sooo slow?

Regards,
There are several reasons like it overwriting code modules in RAM and trashing the recompiler, making use of division hardware which is slow to emulate on ARM and something else I forgot.It all can be improved but it needs work.

Hey Notaz! I just wanna thank you for the excellent emulator. I hadn't tried Picodrive prior to you putting it out on the Caanoo. After I installed it, a couple days of productivity just suddenly vanished.

I'm enjoying all the options, like remapping the triggers (L = Load :p ) and adjusting the thumbstick's deadzone. I have had practically zero problems with any games. This emulator really sets the bar for all the others.
Thanks for your work!

Agreed with Traylorpark, PicoDrive does set the bar. I'd say it's the most mature software out on the Caanoo at the moment. Thanks Notaz!

notaz said:
xenon_soft said:
Hey! Most of games run... flawlessly, except my beloved Virtua Racing :( Do you know why now is sooo slow?

Regards,
There are several reasons like it overwriting code modules in RAM and trashing the recompiler, making use of division hardware which is slow to emulate on ARM and something else I forgot.It all can be improved but it needs work.

Ok, thanks for the answer and for your great work ;) I'll wait, don't worry, actually I can play this game perfectly using the Wiz :D

Regards,

CKeichel said:
glezmen said:

Virtua Racing on the Mega Drive runs fullspeed, Virtua Racing Deluxe on the 32x runs not fullspeed, because the 32x was an upgrade hardware to the Mega Drive.

Fullspeed on Caanoo?...

xenon_soft said:
CKeichel said:
glezmen said:

Fullspeed on Caanoo?...

Yes...

This just made my day.

What happens when you plug in a USB hub, a Super Famicom controller and a NES controller?
input.jpg

Magic :D
beauty.jpg

I can't wait for my TV cable now.

Back