Picodrive 1.10

3. Don't know why, but music sometime stops and then starts after a while.
This is because of race condition between both cores, I think I fixed that yesterday.

Oh and the "past" stages don't use cdda for music, they use PCM sound source, which is not emulated yet, so no music there.

As for other Sonic CD "bugs", looks like it can be normal behavior, would be helpful if you re-checked that on Gens or Fusion (brm saves should be compatible with them).

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz.
Ok, so I've checked "1." in Gens and you are right. It's not bug, It's feature. :rolleyes:
As for "firefly bug" I can't check it right now, because I'm already in next stage so I can't use my brm save. However I can confirm that brm save is compatible with Gens's one.

So what is emulated?
another 68k @ 12.5MHz: yes, Cyclone core

I wonder if this opens the possibility of Out Run emulation on MAME... :unsure:

Just thought I'd chip in here and say play the Megadrive version of Outrun on GP2X, it's outstanding, I wouldn't look twice at this game on the TV but for the small screen it's so perfect, In fact I like it better than the actual arcade game. It's sooper dooper thumbs up and all that business

Apart from the MD outrun is far too easy :( the only way to make it hard is to unlock the hyper mode.

Trivia - enter 'ending' as your name on the high score table to see a totally different end sequence that they didn't use.

I dunno I find it a challenge, maybe I'm crappy at it, but compared to other versions it's certainly a lot easier yeah.

And cheers for the tip, I'll have to try it out. B)

Well, the Amiga has some freaking hard to emulate hardware, the 68k is probably the simplest part to emulate, things like angus, paula, the OCS/ECS chipset and blitter are what's making it very hard to emulate.

I honestly think that full speed A500 is near impossible on the more demanding titles, the Amiga was a fairly powerfull machine for it's day, just check out some of the more recent OCS demo's, it's nuts ;)

I don't know that the Amiga 1000/500 is all that impossible. Forget ECS, A1200 for sure. I know the Amiga was stunning in it's day. Things change.

<snip>

Perhaps again the problem is lack of documentation.

You underestimate the way it was all integrated into a beautifull system, this link might shed some light onto it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Amiga_chipset

Hell, i've even seen demo's onto the C64 pull of interlaced hires 256 color modes with decent scrolling, most games never pushed the Amiga (nor the C64) to it's limit when it comes to gfx, the limiting factors with both probably was the memory that came with them.

@Notaz

Finally gotten arround at trying out Sonic CD, it freakingly fast! Whoa! Even without overclocking it runs at a more then acceptable framerate, you sir, are a coding god!

Playing Sonic CD did reveal some glitches here & there, where the game halted for a split second (probably on loading stuff) but for the most part, it's excellent!

As I own an original SegaCD with SonicCD, I can tell you some stuff:

* As craig already remembered, the game is about time travel. The level design changes when you travel, however, the rings stay in the same place. So if you see some weird ring constellations, it makes sense if you are in another time.

* Hanging sound: The game mostly only hangs when a new music track is being loaded. On the original SegaCD, sound also stops for a while, but gameplay doesn't.

@notaz: Past zones use PCM sound? Weird, as the soundtrack is included as CDDA as well... what did they do there?

ED: I don't know why the past soundtrack is in PCM instead, but it was the same with the PC version... the CDDA tracks include everything except the past soundtrack. No idea why.

I think the emulator should do everything that DaveC said and also play playstation games :lol:
and perhaps saturn, I'd like to play Guardian Heroes while I watch Sonic CD's intro...

hey notaz, you're the man!

Has anyone given Shining Force CD a decent play yet? Preliminary testing seemed hopeful...

Back