Petit Computer

Woo. Nice. I noticed the keyboards directory, but didn't know what to do at the time. :) Thanks again and many more "Hello World!" to you!

I'm struggling a bit to find code to work from. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

This is one of the coolest mobile things I've seen in ages; not that its original by any stretch or even difficult to implement, but the fact this is mass market .. _that_ is awesome :)

jeff

I'm struggling a bit to find code to work from. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
Sorry, Are you talking about PandaBAS? or Petit Computer?

If you're struggling to find something, I'll take a look at Spec/PandaBAS when I get back, and see what I can knock up.

If there's a specific example you'd like (ie, showing recursion etc.) let us know

Sorry, Are you talking about PandaBAS? or Petit Computer?
Sorry, I should have been more specific! I meant SpecBAS. Dunny's post takes care of it. :)

If it's SpecBAS then:

https://sites.google...ldunn/demos.zip

And extract them to your specbas home folder (NOT the folder you extracted SpecBAS in!)

It's quite an old file, but the majority of the demos should run. I'll update it later on when I get chance.
Thanks very muchly! :D I'm going to take a look at this now, since I've finished up this evening's sewing and whatnot.

EDIT: Ok, got them in the right place, but... Now what? I don't know what I'm meant to be looking for in the manual or readme in order to make use of any of these... Please do bear with me - I really am a complete beginner. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the example file is named geometry1, you can play around with it, see it run via the following.

In the editor, type:

LOAD "geometry1"

Then:

RUN

You can see the code used by pressing the ESC key, then enter twice. I'm still trying to figure this editor out as well. :)

^ Thanks muchly! :D I knew the rest (it's in the documentation), but not how to load stuff. That should get me started.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Damn. I know I have everything where it should be (noting that I'm using WINE, of course, so it's in the simulated "C:" drive's heirarchy as it should be, per the readme), but I'm just getting 30 File not found, 0:1. I'm sure that I wouldn't be encountering this if I had any clue what Lazarus was and how to make use of it to use the native Linux build... :p

It's already built, so the binary is there. I'm using the Linux native build. I extracted SpecBAS to my home directory and it extracts it to a directory named "SpecBAS_linux". I then copied bass.o to /lib. Then I started it up:

$ ./SpecBAS_linux/SpecBAS

Oddly, I can't run this with & to send it to the background, but no big deal.

I extracted the "demos.zip" file into the "specbas" directory that SpecBAS creates upon the first startup.

So after that, it's just loading the files as seen above.

Hope this helps!

^ Thanks much - I'll give that a go when I've got a moment. :)

I'm determined to learn something useful from this.

I know this really isn't the right place for this, but heck, I'll bring it up anyway! I'm almost 100% sure it has something to do with bass.o. But here's what I found running this in Ubuntu 12.04 with Firefox using Adobe's Flash player. I noticed that if I have SpecBAS running, loading Youtube videos in Firefox, the videos starts playing, but then appears to hang. The audio doesn't play at all. I need to quit SpecBAS and reload the page. If I have a Youtube video playing, SpecBAS starts up with a bit of a graphical glitch. Weird stuff. :)

One of the example file is named geometry1, you can play around with it, see it run via the following.

In the editor, type:

LOAD "geometry1"

Then:

RUN

You can see the code used by pressing the ESC key, then enter twice. I'm still trying to figure this editor out as well. :)

Ok, the editor only makes sense if you've coded on a 48k Spectrum. When run, a program will produce an error - even if it's the 0 code, which means that all went well. So when the program stops,you get the error window. Press enter to get to the direct command window. The list window will appear and disappear with each press of enter. Press shift-enter to completely hide the editor and restore any custom palette you have (useful for viewing output that might ordinarily get hidden).

Prometheus: Which file was it gave error 30?

D.

Every single one in the directory. :lol: I'm certain that that's because I've been running the Windows build under WINE, though.

I'll give the native Linux version a spin later, now that I know that I don't need to build it myself (which one of the included text files says that I do need to do). I am certain that that will resolve it. :p

Every single one in the directory. :lol: I'm certain that that's because I've been running the Windows build under WINE, though.

That might be to do with the way that WINE exposes the "users" directory in linux, and possibly a conflict with the way that SpecBAS actually thinks it's being done... I'll look into it, though I do know others have run the windows build in WINE before now (that was before I did the linux port).

Anyway, the latest version of SpecBAS is available from the specbas.co.uk webpage - if you're running the linux version then you're up-to-date; the windows version has just been updated. However, I'd recommend you download the windows zip and extract the "sysfiles" archive, along with the readme which gives details of how to use these files. You can use the "config-keys" to create your own keymap for use in your startup-sequence, which is in that zip file.

I'll give the native Linux version a spin later, now that I know that I don't need to build it myself (which one of the included text files says that I do need to do). I am certain that that will resolve it. :p

See above :)

D.

Back