Meet The Dsi Ll Folks

nightwheel

Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
dsill.jpg

The rumors are true. Today, at Nintendo's press event in Tokyo, the company announced a revised version of the Nintendo DS.

Dubbed the Nintendo DSi LL, the new portable will feature a 4.2 inch screen. Priced at ¥20,000 (US$220) the DSi LL will be released on November 21. The "LL" refers to the extra large size.

The redesign comes at the request of customers who said they wanted a larger screen, and the screen is a 93 percent increase over the DS Lite's screen size. The DSi LL is geared for those who want to use their Nintendo handheld for internet and as a music player as the larger screen is able to displayer letters and characters in a bigger font.

The DSi LL is bundled with a longer touch pen (129.3mm), and comes will three DSiWare titles pre-installed: Two brain training games (one for humanities, the other for sciences) and DS Easy Dictionary. Releasing in three colors, the DSi LL will be available in Dark Brown, Wine Red and Natural White.
Source: Kotaku

Wow.... it been less than a week since the rumors about this thing started flying around. So there you have, in less than a month. Japan is getting a version of the DSi with 4.2inch screens.

I don't know what to think of this at the moment. On one hand I think it's cool and just enough to make me think about getting the DSi. (If Nintendo brings it to the states too.) But on the other hand, I see it as another unneeded DS version.

Whats your guys thoughts?

whaaaaaaat, that's ridiculous, what a shitty move. Sony & now Nintendo need to stop flooding the market with these stupid incremental hardware upgrades, It's not just a poor marketing strategy it's just in bad taste.

@ Gruso - I doubt they'd double the size of the screens & keep the same resolution, that'd be pretty pointless imo, especially since it's trying to be an MID. I'm guessing they're higher resolution and games are run through some kind of scaler. You're right tho, that shit is stupidly huge, I can't imagine it being any kind of convenient. I wonder if there is a way to calculate the approximate dimensions...

EDIT: Nevermind approximations, the dimensions are up on Nintendo's japanese site
it's 160mm long, 91.4mm wide & 21.2mm thick

It's all about re-branding a games console purely for profiteering. Perhaps the sales had slowed down and needed a new eye catching idea to get them selling again. Bang! Bigger screen - $220 USD please. Ching, ching. Damn those fat cats.
mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 said:
whaaaaaaat, that's ridiculous, what a shitty move. Sony & now Nintendo need to stop flooding the market with these stupid incremental hardware upgrades, It's not just a poor marketing strategy it's just in bad taste.
At least, they CAN do this. ;)
While we still waiting for the first Pandora, Big N fires one "new" DS-lite out after another, these guys are really fast and I think this Monster-DS was a quick decission to make - for whatever reason. New Display, new case of course, all in all within a few (weeks?) and with Million units produced, is there a competition to win "how many handhelds can I quickly throw out to the market?".
Maybe they fear Sony or all these Chinese PMP's, who knows.

Just done some quick reading and apparently it is going to have the same resolution as all of the other DS's. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Javacat said:
Just done some quick reading and apparently it is going to have the same resolution as all of the other DS's. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
are you serious? ugh, what a useless machine, i guess that's why they only announced it for japan...

And just like that Nintendo of Europe has announced the DSi XL... go figure.

Consequence9 said:

@ Gruso - I doubt they'd double the size of the screens & keep the same resolution, that'd be pretty pointless imo, especially since it's trying to be an MID. I'm guessing they're higher resolution and games are run through some kind of scaler. You're right tho, that shit is stupidly huge, I can't imagine it being any kind of convenient. I wonder if there is a way to calculate the approximate dimensions...

EDIT: Nevermind approximations, the dimensions are up on Nintendo's japanese site
it's 160mm long, 91.4mm wide & 21.2mm thick
oh yeah I forgot grandpa is always complaining about how his damned vidyagames are too low resolution
Jesus christ you guys are fucking sperglords

Wii sales have been eating shit for a while, getting desperate for a cash injection. Lot of ideas probably getting play there that normally wouldn't have. http://www.dailytech.com/Nintendo+Profits+Plummet+on+Lower+Wii+Sales/article16664.htm

Nobody has a gun at your head forcing you to buy it. It's meant to appeal to people who couldn't really see the first one too well. It isn't targeted at people who are satisfied with their current DSis.

Aethix said:
Nobody has a gun at your head forcing you to buy it.
But surely somebody has a gun at my head, demanding my opinion of it?
DON'T TELL ME NOBODY CARES HOW MUCH I HATE IT.
:(

So there's my sarcastic meta-two-cents.

With screens that big and resolution that low games will be a pixelly mess.

They should have at least doubled the res both ways so that DS stuff could be even doubled but web type stuff and enhanced res games could be 1:1 and wouldn't be so blocky.

DaveC said:

They should have at least doubled the res both ways so that DS stuff could be even doubled but web type stuff and enhanced res games could be 1:1 and wouldn't be so blocky.
their target market doesn't give a shit about resolution

DaveC said:

I don't think it will be quite that bad. Anyways, it would cost way too much to do something like that for only a few games and applications to benefit from it.

DaveC said:

Good luck making it so that DS works as well with 4x the resolution without pretty substantially modifying the graphics hardware. You'd have to quadruple the fillrate of both the 3D and 2D, change the scanline division around and probably need more VRAM to accommodate these things.. and DS's VRAM layout is pretty rigid and wouldn't easily allow room for expansion.

Massive like EXBAWKS

except the original xbox was amazing at running media, homebrew, emulators, and a good number of normal games.

fusion_power said:
While we still waiting for the first Pandora, Big N fires one "new" DS-lite out after another, these guys are really fast and I think this Monster-DS was a quick decission to make - for whatever reason.

Ok. what are you guys smoking?

The DSI LL is just a DS sized DSi.

This is a big change like GBC to GBA or GBA to DS or DS to DSi.

This is a small GBA to GBA SP like change. The DSi LL is going to have a big an impact in the history of game consoles as the GBA micro.

Is bracking combatiblity with your Spectrobes, Monster Rancher and Mega Man Star Force's "punch cards" realy such a big deal?

Back