Petit Computer

Prometheus

I just stumbled across this, and figured that I'd post it here just in case anyone else finds it interesting. It's a BASIC coding tool for the Nintendo DSi, which is also usable on the 3DS in DSi-mode. A segment from the press release says the following about its capabilities;

Petit Computer is DSiWare for your Nintendo DSi/3DS. Many Nintendo DSi features can be accessed by Petit Computer using the BASIC programming language.

Fast and colorful sprites, BG screens (screen mode specialized for drawing backgrounds), graphic capabilities, and Touch Screen input are supported by the Nintendo DSi.

Petit Computer comes preloaded with 512 sprites. It also includes 256 BG chips for use in backgrounds. And by changing colors and rotating, the world of possibilities gets even wider.

You can use MML syntax to simultaneously play an 8-channel melody and trigger 16 sounds at once. The available 128 basic tones (instruments), 68 drums, 8 patterns of PSG (duty cycles), and noise can be freely combined to create the sounds you want.

Petit Computer comes with features that allow other people to see the programs you create. When you have a friend nearby, you can use your Nintendo DSi's Wireless Communications feature to exchange programs.

And when you want to release a program to an even wider audience, you can save it onto an SD Card, load it onto your PC, and then use a browser to convert it into a QR code that lets you easily make your work public. These programs can then be loaded onto a Nintendo DSi by using its camera to scan the resulting QR code.

Whilst it's known that you can code directly on the console itself, it's currently unknown whether you can take the source and edit it on a computer, although it does sound like it may be possible, since you can retrieve it from your SD Card in order to upload it for conversion to a QR Code on the Petit Computer website...

The article above features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7u5svuP6M, which seemed to be pretty neat, so I then checked out what else it could do. Searching on YouTube for プチコン (Puchicom, its Japanese name) will bring up the most results for things made with this tool. Some highlights included;

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x880X8WIKzk?feature=oembed

Is anyone planning on picking this up when it's released in the West? Is anyone else happy to see that this sort of thing is still generating interest out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
So these videos are software made with Petit Computer? Looks really impressive! Maybe this will spur some interesting homebrews as well. :)

I rewatched the videos. Saw more demos. Very impressed. I think I will get this just for fun, even though I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag. Comes out on July 18th apparently. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. Nice to see a console embracing programming. Only if it was now part of the firmware! We might be able to get young blood into programming

Oh, whoop-dee-doo, a BASIC interpreter. What is this, the 80s? Are we also going to get a cassette drive add-on?
That made me sad :(

I reckon most of the programmers you see today are programmers because their computer in the 80's booted into BASIC! Not from the high-definition ultra-violent BS that smothers games consoles today. If I had a DSi/3DS, I'd buy this just on principal.

I reckon most of the programmers you see today are programmers because their computer in the 80's booted into BASIC!
My understanding is that that's certainly true of a lot of coders from the British games industry.

It's interesting how this release is coinciding with increased efforts to get schoolkids programming, for sure.

It's interesting how this release is coinciding with increased efforts to get schoolkids programming, for sure.
Out of curiousity, and I know this is going slightly off topic... The Rasberry Pi, does anybody know if that boots straight into something like BASIC? Because if it doesn't, it's kind of failed where it was designed to sit IMO.

And I guess I'm part of a minority, as I got into programming without ever touching basic?
Really? So how did you get in to programming? and what was your first language? If you don't mind me asking

It started with me trying to learn C++, I got bored of it and tried loads of different languages and programs with an attention span of a few days, until I stuck with Game Maker for a few year. From them on my memory is fuzzy, but my project directory from 5 years back suggest I then started using C on a very basic level (About the level I reached with C++, pretty much terminal input/output only) and then gradually learned more of it by working with other people. All my early stuff including game maker is lost since that HDD is now suffering from click of death :/

I think I was introduced to C++ by my uncle, who's part of the generation that got started by building their own hardware.

Oh, whoop-dee-doo, a BASIC interpreter. What is this, the 80s? Are we also going to get a cassette drive add-on?

Pillock. If you have nothing of value to contribute then don't post, dickhead.

Out of curiousity, and I know this is going slightly off topic... The Rasberry Pi, does anybody know if that boots straight into something like BASIC? Because if it doesn't, it's kind of failed where it was designed to sit IMO.

No - though there are various BASICs available iirc. PandaBAS has just been ported to it, which is very similar to the old BASIC interpreters you used to get on ROM with the 8bit machines.

D.

On a related note. Just after the Wii was hacked. I posted I was building a Wii BASIC interpreter along the same vein. I got a couple of people narking me saying "noobs shouldn't be allowed here" etc... I pointed them to a fart app or something equally shit, and said "Too late". There was no UI by the time the project was dropped (I no longer have a Wii), but there were a couple of demos. It was damn slow though.

@All you guys who programmed in BASIC back in the day: It was possible to translate things between the differing dialects, right? What do you think the chances are for being able to adapt old type-in listings for this? :p

Back