Perfect Snes For Gp2x

I know what it will have, I just don't see the point in arguing until we know for sure what can be ported. The hardware just needs to be played with more before any assumptions are made.

Thanx,
Stan

There will be a full-speed SNES emulator with sound if someone sits down and writes one. The hardware is more than capable of running it-- the GP32 could've, even-- the MegaDrive/Genesis is enormously more powerful and CPU-wise more demanding to emulate-- that's a 68000 @ 7.6 MHz and a Z80 at 3.5 MHz, plus the YM2612 sound synth, sound generator, and video hardware. The SNES just uses a ~2.3 MHz 65c816 and some video/audio helper chips-- the video subsystem will not be THAT difficult to emulate and should not require the 2nd core be used at all to do it, with how much headroom is left over from only having to emulate a very primitive CPU.

So relax, it'll happen. Will there be a full speed SNES emulator at launch? Almost definitely not. But there's no reason for so much obsessive paranoia about it.

how about those transparencies? will it possible too? can i play chrono trigger or saikendetsu 3, romancing saga 3 with/without it?
Thank in advantage!

vincent85 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
how about those transparencies? will it possible too? can i play chrono trigger or saikendetsu 3, romancing saga 3 with/without it?
Thank in advantage!
Well...

According to the MMSP2's specs (the chipset what the GP2x is using) there is a hardware alphablending and video mixing for multiple layers. How it will fit in an emulation of the SNES I don't know. I would say it will be usefull but this is only my speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Oct 29 2005 at 12:54 PM said:
There will be a full-speed SNES emulator with sound if someone sits down and writes one. The hardware is more than capable of running it-- the GP32 could've, even-- the MegaDrive/Genesis is enormously more powerful and CPU-wise more demanding to emulate-- that's a 68000 @ 7.6 MHz and a Z80 at 3.5 MHz, plus the YM2612 sound synth, sound generator, and video hardware. The SNES just uses a ~2.3 MHz 65c816 and some video/audio helper chips-- the video subsystem will not be THAT difficult to emulate and should not require the 2nd core be used at all to do it, with how much headroom is left over from only having to emulate a very primitive CPU.

ahem, don't forget these snes's helper chips you're talking about are more powerful than the snes's main CPU(wich is only 8 bit i think ;) )

plus all the extra chips like superFX etc who are needed in the best games (yoshi's island, YUM! :D ) , it's not easy at all to emulate! ;)

* and some video/audio helper chips--*

That little bit there makes the SNES far more difficult than the Megadrive to emulate. That SPC sound chip is a bitch to do in itself. Then you have the transparency issue. While very simple when you have it in hardware, when you emulate it and have to calculate the values for every pixel it becomes a CPU hog.

I am not saying it is impossible because we don't know, but it is very difficult.

DaveC posted on Oct 29 2005 at 07:03 PM said:

That little bit there makes the SNES far more difficult than the Megadrive to emulate. That SPC sound chip is a bitch to do in itself. Then you have the transparency issue. While very simple when you have it in hardware, when you emulate it and have to calculate the values for every pixel it becomes a CPU hog.

But the GP2x's MMSP2 does have such hardware capability! And more stuff too.

I am not saying it is impossible because we don't know, but it is very difficult.

That depends how much of the MMSP2 will be exposed by original firmware. But for sure after some time people will find a creative ways to utilise GP2x's hardware. It isn't by any means poor (save the 3d hardware accelerating).

second exodous posted on Oct 19 2005 at 03:53 AM said:
Wow, there is a lot of 'unknowns' and 'maybe', I think it's time to just wait. I don't think I'm going to do any more research until the GP2X comes out because there is nothing like it on the market right now. I don't think we'll know exactly what it's capable of until we get it, but I sincerely do hope that it surprises everyone.

Thanx,
Stan

As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

Well, to be complete, all facts are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense. And such.

Radek posted on Oct 29 2005 at 06:48 PM said:

That depends how much of the MMSP2 will be exposed by original firmware. But for sure after some time people will find a creative ways to utilise GP2x's hardware. It isn't by any means poor (save the 3d hardware accelerating).

i hear you can bypass firmware to boot up stuff/progs and utilize everytihng to da max!

Radek posted on Oct 29 2005 at 06:48 PM said:

It all depends on how transparency is implemented in the hardware. It may only be useful for the whole screen it may be mapped so much differently that it can't be used in emulation. We just don't know. You can't assume either way yet.

some news from gp2x.com
http://www.gp2x.com/support/support_sugest...=01&chk=&direc=

On this site it mentions that there will be snes emus available for the gp2x. I was wondering if these will be able to operate at full speed (In the future). Thanks.

Korean developer NK made snes emulater for the gp2x.

But, It work at a low frame in now

NK'll make it better emus until other developer show us good snes emus.

In the future, I think snes emus'll work at a good quality.

NK mentioned it in gp2mania.com(homepage for korean developer)

I'm not a worker of GPH but a korean user. So all news from me is not perfect.

Thanks

Just to throw this out there concerning the transparencies..
In the early days of SNES emus, there was a promising one call NLKsnes (which later merged with what became ZSnes if i remember).
It ran in a standard 256 color VGA mode so it was quite fast for the time. What impressed me though, is they downsampled the transparancy effects to 256color in software. It proved to work great, as still allowing the faster VGA mode.

All im saying software transparancy doesnt have to be slow.

Just to throw this out there concerning the transparencies..
In the early days of SNES emus, there was a promising one call NLKsnes (which later merged with what became ZSnes if i remember).
It ran in a standard 256 color VGA mode so it was quite fast for the time. What impressed me though, is they downsampled the transparancy effects to 256color in software. It proved to work great, as still allowing the faster VGA mode.

All im saying software transparancy doesnt have to be slow.
I remember it!

It was the only one (at that time) who let me play confortably at super mario.
The transparency trick was interesting indeed.

Back