Pcsx Rearmed R17

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
After implementing some optimization ideas from pandora version here are Caanoo/Wiz builds:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r17_caanoo.zip
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r17_wiz.zip

Although I haven't tested it much, there should be noticeable speed boost, Tekken3 looked a good deal more playable to me.

As usual Wiz version will come a bit later as it's more difficult to build (I can build Caanoo version with pandora toolchain, while Wiz needs special tools and my main PC is down at the moment, waiting for new motherboard).

Edit: Wiz version up.

Thanks a lot Notaz !!! The performance enhancement is really noticeable e.g. for Spyro the Dragon or Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2.

But somehow Looney Tunes Racing is broken now:

in R15 I used these settings:

Framskip: off
Show FPS: on
Region: Auto
CPU Clock: 750
BIOS: HLE

everything else default and it worked pretty fine.

In R17 using the same same disc image and same settings or even other settings (like changing BIOS or clock speed) the game always returns to the Caanoo main menu while loading a racing track. Racing track loading progress bar comes to roughly 10-20% and then the emulator exits.

What have been some notoriously slow games on the caanoo? I've been pretty lucky as most games I've wanted to play run very well with notaz's awsome emu! I'd like to do some comparitive testing though and maybe find some cool games I never tried in the process.

Orion4874 said:
What have been some notoriously slow games on the caanoo? I've been pretty lucky as most games I've wanted to play run very well with notaz's awsome emu! I'd like to do some comparitive testing though and maybe find some cool games I never tried in the process.

Ehrgeiz might be a good candidate. Seemed to be rather stable in previous versions, but very low framerates.  Another might be Unholy War, which was only slightly slow in previous versions but had high playability. (For the curious, this one was completely borked in PCSX4All, huge graphical glitches and physics errors)

Hi Notaz, thanks a lot for the work.

I quickly copied everything over the older version on my caanoo.
I noticed the animations and intro on wipeout are much faster! But the game hanged on the loading of the actual race.

It is probably my falt where I think I should have actually deleted last version and clean install this one, will do it later today.
Thanks again for the efforts! Brilliant! 

erico said:
Hi Notaz, thanks a lot for the work.

I noticed the animations and intro on wipeout are much faster! But the game hanged on the loading of the actual race.

It is probably my falt where I think I should have actually deleted last version and clean install this one, will do it later today.
Delete your old game .cfg files and you will be fine... now more games boot for me :)

Wiz version uploaded, see first post.

erico said:

The first WipEout works for me, try reducing the overclock a bit.
Like for Pandora version, as software gets optimized more, max overclock goes down because CPU is loaded up more.

I tried both hints, lowered clock to 600 and deleted one config file I found on the config dir.
Perfect now.

All videos inside games are running perfectly on my end, the sound and cd music also seems to produce higher fps then before to me.
Speed punks has black polygons on the "choose player" screen but it loads and play now, it didn´t before.

I´m running everything as it comes, no frame skip nor speed tricks or other gpu.
I think with a bit of messing around the configs, things can be really perfect!

Thanks guys, special thank to you notaz, for keeping the caanoo port updated! :wub:

This is great!!!

Thanks notaz for keeping my caanoo out of storage. :D

Here is a video from me running Tekken 3 thanks again notaz... fun times B)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA30aeIeFKM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

ruffnutts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot notaz! I played and finished a lot of psx games on the older versions of this emulator and deleted some of them. But 2 games i still happened to have, dino crisis and resident evil 3 hang shortly after startup on this version but run fine on r15. Its all good since old save states work and i have both r15 and r17 in case of incompatibility issues.

Its sad that this forum has died down thank you for keepin it alive.

blues2 said:
Thanks a lot notaz! I played and finished a lot of psx games on the older versions of this emulator and deleted some of them. But 2 games i still happened to have, dino crisis and resident evil 3 hang shortly after startup on this version but run fine on r15. Its all good since old save states work and i have both r15 and r17 in case of incompatibility issues. Its sad that this forum has died down thank you for keepin it alive.

Confirmed. This also happens with Resident Evil 2. Caanoo and Wiz are both affected .

With R17, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage runs a little faster, but none of the music plays any more. I checked in the settings, "Disable XA Decoding" and "Disable CD audio" were both set to false.

After playing for a bit, I have noticed that the game enters massive slowdowns at points where it did not do on R16. Raally slow, to the point where I have to hold down the home button as it is too slow to even reliably open the emulator menu. This is all the same settings from R16, where the game played smoothly everywhere.

EDIT: Well, I reinstalled r15 by deleting everything but .pcsx/memcards and recopying the files, but the soundtrack audio is still broken. Weird that it was wroking before I installed r17. I swear there was an r16 build at one point, can anyone point me to it, because I can't seem to find it?

Back