Release Panplayer Beta 5 - Uploaded to Repo

JDGBOLT

I am currently working to put together a beta 5 of panplayer, current changes that I have done so far is:

- Switch to using mplayer2 rather than mplayer, not too much difference that I could tell, just experimenting with it.

- Disabled the screen blanking, so the screen shouldn't go blank when playing files.

- Utilized Notaz' new patched omapfb video output, which should theoretically have working double buffering, so we can finally have a video player that has no tearing.

- Latest Picklelauncher from subversion

Not too big of changes so far, but I wanted to see if I could have some input on features or fixes that need to be done, I've been rewriting the mplayer launcher script, and might try tweaking the picklelauncher settings somewhat. Probably one feature request that people will have is be able to play playlists of files, which I don't think picklelauncher can support at this time without having some of the code rewritten, been looking into other launching frontends, but most that I have found have been focused on desktop centric paradigms, so can't be controlled easilly with the gaming controls. Still have been looking though. Might be able to get some settings put into picklelauncher that you can use, didn't before due to some bugs in how it was handled, which may have been fixed now. The only one I can think of at the moment is setting the cpu speed. And I am considering using omapfb by default to make the playback tear free by default, before I had some problems with some files with omapfb, which is why it was implemented the way it is, only using it for videos sized larger than the screen. Well, just wanted some input, I'll probably try to put out a beta later today if I am lucky in implementing all that I wanted to, which will be uploaded to the repo as I don't have permissions I don't think to update the ones on the archive or the app store.

Edit: Okay, final version uploaded to the repo, thanks for testing, and let me know of any bugs or problems, I will try to monitor this thread and any comments made on the repo. :)

http://repo.openpand...l&app=PanPlayer

I also have uploaded a test pnd using mplayer rather than mplayer2, which should fix some of the problems that were occuring with some types of files, I'm hoping anyway. :) Updated 2011-01-09.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6596-panplayer-beta-5-uploaded-to-repo/page__view__findpost__p__116725

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe add an option to propery scale larger video files( i.e. mkv )

to play at a full screen resoulution instead of playing without video pic at all.

Nice. Video Playback on Pandora never was that comfortable like it could have been. PanPlayer worked better than the GnomePlayer but lacked of Options. Pandoras standard mplayer still has some annoying bugs like non visible menus over the Video area and not saved custom gamma/brightness settings...

So I often used the PanPlayer. I would really like to see some decent Gamma/brightness/contrast... options for the Player so I can adjust this from within the player and not need to stress the global LCD gamma settings. :)

Actullay just glad this is getting an update , it is one of my most used programs ...Bud

Really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Anything that gets rid of the screen tearing would be a huge plus in my eyes.

Good luck and many thanks for working on this :D

Does anyone actually use the touchscreen controls in picklelauncher? Since I might if I can remove a lot of the buttons that aren't really needed as much if you are mostly using the gaming controls and keyboard. Will give me more screen real estate to put files, not sure though.

I use ABXY as mouse buttons (and i believe i'm not the only one), is it possible to hardcode them for usage in PanPlayer ?

I use ABXY as mouse buttons (and i believe i'm not the only one), is it possible to hardcode them for usage in PanPlayer ?
What exactly do you mean by that? You can change the bindings used for mplayer by editing the mpinput.conf file. I think by default mplayer will use right mouse for play/pause, double click and middle button for full screen. Unless do you mean something else?

For example, to browse a folder, i have to push play on the touchscreen.
Ah, I see what you mean, I'll probably be doing a new theme for panplayer, as the old one isn't really too usable with rearranging some of the stuff, and it is possible I believe to change the buttons that are used within picklelauncher using the config.txt file, or one other thing I might do is make use of the 16x16 border that I am going to try to have around the screen for the selection of the files. Should be possible to put buttons there as well.

All right, well, some progress, currently working to debug my new version of the mplayer.sh script, and I did some testing, and using omapfb for the video output now does in fact eliminate tearing of the video. I didn't notice it before, but it's plain to see now. So it will default to using omapfb for the video output device for all videos, but can be changed within the mpconfig.conf file. Will continue working on it, and hopefully can put up a pnd later tonight. :)

Wow!! This is definitely one of the most exciting news I heard during the last days (and there were MANY exciting news ! :) ). But I'm using PanPlayer a lot, and having it tearing-free is really amazing!

Personnaly I use the pad and buttons to browse the files in Pickle Launcher, I find it quite handy (I don't use the stylus for this, I find the DPAD input more precise for some reason). IMHO it would be a pity to lose this feature for those who like it.

The only feature I might think of is about subtitles size. Last time I used SRT subtitles files, I was unable to increase font size, resulting in really small texts at the bottom of the screen. Maybe I missed something, but I think that changing font size on the fly did not work.

Changing the CPU speed from PanPlayer would be absolutely great too!

Thanks again for the great work, I can't wait trying this new version! :)

Nice. Video Playback on Pandora never was that comfortable like it could have been. PanPlayer worked better than the GnomePlayer but lacked of Options. Pandoras standard mplayer still has some annoying bugs like non visible menus over the Video area and not saved custom gamma/brightness settings...
This is *NOT* a bug of the player software. The issue here is how the graphics driver (yeah, that thing again) as well as the hardware itself is handling video overlay. It is a real, old school overlay which is in front of everything. The reason for this is the origin of the driver which is not meant for some desktop usage where menus can be in front of stuff. I was simply assumed that if you display a video it will be in fullscreen and "menu like" stuff will be done using some "on screen display" stuff which is *NOT* how some gui version like gnome mplayer or smplayer work, they use plain X11 menu style.

So yes, this is *NOT* possible to change with a media player update. And I don't know what is possible regarding on screen menus in mplayer itself (for which panplayer is "just" a launcher setup).

Well, update time again, I finished getting the mplayer.sh file fully working, no bugs with it from what I could see, as far as handling the things that it was meant to do, changing between omapfb settings on the fly and such, and I've been working on the new picklelauncher theme. It still needs a lot of tweaking, but I think I've managed to make it more sleek looking but still usable, it'll be pretty simplistic as far as color scheme and style, as I am certainly not an artist, but it should get the job done. The buttons will still be there, just a lot smaller than they were originally, especially the right ones.

Here it is currently, still have to do the skins for the buttons and such. But I think the layout, except for the button vertical locations, should be good. Let me know if there seems to be any problems. :)

screenshot.png

Edit: Picture updated with one taken from the pandora itself, my desktop was causing the font of the previous screenshot to look somewhat messed up.

This is *NOT* a bug of the player software. The issue here is how the graphics driver (yeah, that thing again) as well as the hardware itself is handling video overlay. It is a real, old school overlay which is in front of everything. The reason for this is the origin of the driver which is not meant for some desktop usage where menus can be in front of stuff. I was simply assumed that if you display a video it will be in fullscreen and "menu like" stuff will be done using some "on screen display" stuff which is *NOT* how some gui version like gnome mplayer or smplayer work, they use plain X11 menu style.

So yes, this is *NOT* possible to change with a media player update. And I don't know what is possible regarding on screen menus in mplayer itself (for which panplayer is "just" a launcher setup).
Oh, that's bad. The problem with that player is, that you only can change some settings when a Video is loaded, otherwise I simply would set everything before loading a Video. ^^ So I have to load a video, minimize the window as small as possible and then you can use the menus. Takes ages but it works at least. Main Problem is of course, that settings like gamma adjustments are not stored, you have to do it again for every new Video.

Oh, that's bad. The problem with that player is, that you only can change some settings when a Video is loaded, otherwise I simply would set everything before loading a Video. ^^ So I have to load a video, minimize the window as small as possible and then you can use the menus. Takes ages but it works at least. Main Problem is of course, that settings like gamma adjustments are not stored, you have to do it again for every new Video.
It is possible to give mplayer brightness settings that are kept between playthroughs, you can go and edit the mpconfig.conf file that is located within the appdata directory, and can add all kinds of settings, the ones you are looking for are probably brightness, contrast, and maybe hue, so within the mpconfig.conf file, you can just give it brightness=30 or whatever, to make it a bit brighter, you can set it to + or -. Though after I do this first version with the new skin, the next version will be when I try to add some settings that you can modify with picklelauncher. :) . Also you can adjust the brightness and such using mplayer itself by pressing the 1/2 for contrast, 3/4 for brightness, and 5/6 for hue. :)

Buttons may be too small to be used with fingers ?

I tested them out with my fingers on my pandora and they seemed to mostly work all right, though I think just to make things a bit easier and save myself a bunch of work, I'm going to upload what I got of panplayer to this thread just to see if people can use the skin all right with the current button sizes and such. Would hate to do a bunch of work on the skin, only for it to be useless as people can't use it. I'm still at the point where it is fairly simple to change the sizes of the buttons and such. :)

Back