Release Panplayer Beta 5 - Uploaded to Repo

All right, how I am going to do this is I am going to upload the pnd that I used to take that screenshot, the changes between this and beta 5 final will be mostly in the skin and pnd.xml file, and I have to do some changes to font attribution and such. Mostly this file is just to test whether the gui is usable for people. :) . Though also feel free to give me any feedback of things just going horribly, horribly wrong. :) . Some things to keep in mind is the fact that when playing videos, due to using omapfb and some quirks with it, if you want to be true full screen, just press f twice. And it uses omapfb by default, which may cause problems for some files, I didn't encounter any problems, but then again, I had only a limited subset of files and am running hotfix 7 alpha, which could have changed some things with omapfb. Oh well, have at it. :D

panplayer.pnd

Attachments

• panplayer.pnd
    6.9 MB · Views: 192
Can it be installed aside the old version ?
No, you'll have to backup the old pnd and also move the panplayer directory in appdata, for all the changes to take effect with skin and such. :) . New installation, pretty much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , so far so good - but will test more tonight ...

Thanks for this ......... Bud

very nice, some video files which i previously had to play using 800 to 900Mhz clock plays fine at 600Mhz

but there seems to be subtitle issue - initial subtitle remain on screen as newer subtitle overwrite it?

The UI looks nice ^^.

The buttons are indeed too small to be used with fingers.

And i can't use ABXY.

I see Xfce around videos.

You should use some prefetching as hi-res videos (heavy .mov) images are choppy (sound is good).

When fast advancing, the sound arrives 1/2 sec after the image with some videos (lavc .avi i think).

The UI looks nice ^^.

And i can't use ABXY.

You should use some prefetching as hi-res videos (heavy .mov) images are choppy (sound is good).

When fast advancing, the sound arrives 1/2 sec after the image with some videos (lavc .avi i think).

Is the issue with both of the sets of buttons, or only the ones on the left? I could potentially expand the buttons vertically, give it more space to hit it, though it could be horizontal as well. The ones on the left are 24x24, but I could easily make them 32x32, which wouldn't be too bad. And by the sound arriving, do you mean that it is out of sync, or that it just takes a bit to begin playing after seeking? And I probably will enable cache, maybe 16 or 32 megs should do it, possibly more. Thanks for the feedback. :)

very nice, some video files which i previously had to play using 800 to 900Mhz clock plays fine at 600Mhz

but there seems to be subtitle issue - initial subtitle remain on screen as newer subtitle overwrite it?
Do you know what format the subtitles are in? Are they like styled, ass style subtitles, or srt or whatever format, more plain subtitles.

Just tested the new beta, the display seems much smoother to me! (but I'm very sensitive to tearing). So I already don't want to revert to the previous version, this is excellent!

About the subtitles issue reported by peelie, there is indeed a small problem. With an SRT file for example, if the video is not filling the screen vertically (i.e. there are black borders at top and bottom of the screen that are not overwritten by the video frames), then the subtitles are overlapping from one sentence to the other. In other words, it may be necessary to clear the screen buffer between subtitles updates. When changing the aspect ratio, or if the video takes the whole screen vertically, then of course the problem doesn't occur, as the video refreshes the screen area itself.

Thank you very much for this fantastic work!

The UI looks nice ^^.

And i can't use ABXY.

Is the issue with both of the sets of buttons, or only the ones on the left? I could potentially expand the buttons vertically, give it more space to hit it, though it could be horizontal as well. The ones on the left are 24x24, but I could easily make them 32x32, which wouldn't be too bad. And by the sound arriving, do you mean that it is out of sync, or that it just takes a bit to begin playing after seeking? And I probably will enable cache, maybe 16 or 32 megs should do it, possibly more. Thanks for the feedback. :)
I used mainly the right onscreen buttons, but will be the same. Let's try 32x32 ^^.

Not out of sync, just a bit to begin play.

The UI looks nice ^^.

And i can't use ABXY.

I used mainly the right onscreen buttons, but will be the same. Let's try 32x32 ^^.

Not out of sync, just a bit to begin play.
The right ones are 32x32. The left ones are 24x24. You can try editing the config.txt file within the appdata directory, and change button_w_right and button_h_right to 40 or more and seeing where you think the happy medium is, also reducing the entry_max_w line and posy_btnright by the amount you increase the right ones. You can also increase only the button_h_right to make the buttons taller. These are under the gui options section by the way. See if changing those makes it easier for you. :)

Also I am currently sitting in the #openpandora channel on irc.freenode.net in case you wanted to have faster back and forth. :)

The UI looks nice ^^.

And i can't use ABXY.

Do you know what format the subtitles are in? Are they like styled, ass style subtitles, or srt or whatever format, more plain subtitles.

it happens with srt files, michoko's observation seems reasonable though don't have fullscreen files to test that.

The right ones are 32x32. The left ones are 24x24. You can try editing the config.txt file within the appdata directory, and change button_w_right and button_h_right to 40 or more and seeing where you think the happy medium is, also reducing the entry_max_w line and posy_btnright by the amount you increase the right ones. You can also increase only the button_h_right to make the buttons taller. These are under the gui options section by the way. See if changing those makes it easier for you. :)

Also I am currently sitting in the #openpandora channel on irc.freenode.net in case you wanted to have faster back and forth. :)

Tried some settings, but all i got was bugs, ie a fourth yellow square on top right :/.

Is there a way to resize the main rectangle ?

The go to upper folder button ( or ../ ) misses too. When i choose a wrong folder, then i'm stuck.

Too late for IRC ^^.

Okay, I managed to work around the sticking subtitle issue, it now draws the subtitles within the video, it's not an ideal solution, but it works, and it's how -vo xv handles the behavior by default too. Also I changed some of the behavior to expand the 16:9 content to fill the full screen, rather than having little black bars, it might stretch out the video a bit, but I think it's able to perform a bit faster using it. I'm not sure about this part yet, I'm debating which one to use. And I downgraded to Hotfix 6, which fixed some issues I had with picklelauncher being getting it's touchscreen input non calibrated. And I was able to see that the default button sizes that I was using indeed were too small. So I'll probably bump them up, with left ones probably being smaller again than the right ones, maybe 32x40 for the left, and 40x40 or maybe 48x48 for the right ones. Will lose probably 16-24 horizontal pixels, but I think it should be more than large enough. :)

All right, after some testing and messing around with picklelauncher trying to use only my fingers, and enabling the cursor to see where clicks actually hit, I've decided to expand the buttons a bit, left side will be 40x40, the right side being 48x48. We'll lose about 32 pixels of horizontal space, but I think that is definitely manageable. Now that I know what my target dimensions are, I can begin getting to work on finishing the skin, and I'll try to have a final version out tonight, can't make any promises though, as always issues do come up or things take longer than I would like. :)

Downloaded this last, so I'll just give my quick impressions. Picture quality and smoothness of playback is definitely much improved on the previous version, I'm still seeing the edges of my desktop around the display screen, this is making the movie part look very dark, maybe I just have the brightness on my Pamdora set too low(seems fine for everything else though!) thanks for all the great work!! :)

(null)

Just gave this a quick try. What I noticed is that there is an annoying, mostly white 1-pixel-line at the bottom and a bit at the right side. When i press "f" to leave fullscreen-mode and press "f" again to get back into it, then that line is gone. Is that only an issue for me or is someone else experiencing this?

Nice. Video Playback on Pandora never was that comfortable like it could have been. PanPlayer worked better than the GnomePlayer but lacked of Options. Pandoras standard mplayer still has some annoying bugs like non visible menus over the Video area and not saved custom gamma/brightness settings...
This is *NOT* a bug of the player software. The issue here is how the graphics driver (yeah, that thing again) as well as the hardware itself is handling video overlay. It is a real, old school overlay which is in front of everything. The reason for this is the origin of the driver which is not meant for some desktop usage where menus can be in front of stuff. I was simply assumed that if you display a video it will be in fullscreen and "menu like" stuff will be done using some "on screen display" stuff which is *NOT* how some gui version like gnome mplayer or smplayer work, they use plain X11 menu style.

So yes, this is *NOT* possible to change with a media player update. And I don't know what is possible regarding on screen menus in mplayer itself (for which panplayer is "just" a launcher setup).
Actually the overlay supports color-keying so menus could be made visible using that.

All right, after some testing and messing around with picklelauncher trying to use only my fingers, and enabling the cursor to see where clicks actually hit, I've decided to expand the buttons a bit, left side will be 40x40, the right side being 48x48. We'll lose about 32 pixels of horizontal space, but I think that is definitely manageable. Now that I know what my target dimensions are, I can begin getting to work on finishing the skin, and I'll try to have a final version out tonight, can't make any promises though, as always issues do come up or things take longer than I would like. :)
Nice.

Please, don't forget the ../ button :^).

Back