Release Panplayer Beta 5 - Uploaded to Repo

All right, update time, finally finished the skin, and I do think it turned out quite well. Also been working on a new PXML file, and I will try to use the functionality of associations, so I can set it to be able to play back files chosen from the file manager, hopefully that will work all right, I also discovered my earler fix for the subtitle issue didn't actually work, my mistake on that part, and been working for a while to try to fix it, also built regular mplayer just to try it out, and it's able to playback real media files, which mplayer2 couldn't handle for some reason, and also it actually scaled the video right for playing using omapfb, but it has it's own issues, with for some reason for some files, it will get very, very choppy, think it has something to do with frame dropping and the audio and video getting out of sync. Been trying to pin down what causes it, but not sure, so I've been debating whether to use mplayer or mplayer2, as each has its pros and cons. If I use mplayer 2, I'll have to either use the vf expand way of making sure the file looks right, and doesn't get it's aspect ratio screwed up, or use mplayer, and see if I can figure out why it was having that strange condition. No perfect solutions, as with anything else. What I can do is to show you what the new skin looks like in all it's glory.

panplayer_pvw.png

I've been doing what I can to ensure proper playback of everything, if in the next hour or so I can't fix the issues with mplayer, I'll work with mplayer2, as I think I can at least work around those issues. :)

Make 2 players , each with thier own strenghts , I'm very happy with the current one would hate to loose anything..

Okay, that is cool, I just noticed that the issue I was having with mplayer2 with subtitles not getting drawn right was fixed in git, so going to do a new build of mplayer2 with that patch and hopefully fix this problem once and for all. Just have to track it down and figure out the right build settings.

Success! Everything works fine and dandy now, it still won't support rmvb files, but I'm not sure how many would try to play those in the first place, will be removed from the picklelauncher listing for now. Only slight issue is that using omapfb there is a 1 pixel wide gap on the left and bottom sides, I tried to fix it, but couldn't get it to work, but it can be fixed by pressing f twice if you really care about it.

In the last week or so I also got a working mplayer2 build working with omapfb, so it sounds like we have been encountering the same issues.

To get the scaling behaving the same as the original mplayer, I ended up hacking vo_xv_draw_colorkey() to draw the black bars if needed like the original mplayer, which is probably not the appropriate place. There seems to be bugs with this code for movies that should be pillar boxed.

For example if you play a 4:3 aspect ratio movie, toggling fullscreen mode repeatedly will increasingly distort the picture. Its probably not hard to fix, but the workaround was to use -vf expand filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, final test before I put it up on the repo, I'll wait a few hours, and put it up on the repo tonight. Hopefully this will work all right for everyone. :) . Let me know of any issues and such. Have at it. :)

panplayer.pnd

Attachments

• panplayer.pnd
    6.6 MB · Views: 162
Only issue I found was with mkv/theora playback.

Not sure what it's related to.

image.jpg

You could try removing within the mpconfig.conf file the fast=1 part of the lavdopts line, see if that helps anything.

Didn't help.

Weird, I converted these with HandBrake from h264, but they work in VLC.

Would be better if someone else could confirm this, though mkv/theora doesn't seem to be a popular combination.

Yeah, I did a test with a theora file, and it seems like mplayer2 has problems with theora, though even with regular mplayer, it was still a bit corrupted, so I think it's an underlying ffmpeg issue, not surprising considering I pull from the development branches, these kinds of bugs pop up from time to time.

just noticed that the x button no longer goes back up a folder? the b button still goes down a folder.

subtitles working fine now :)

Yeah, I changed it to L/R, thinking that I could still get the same functionality with the back button, but I was wrong, I've since changed it back. I prefer it to be the way it was, unless people like the new bindings.

Haven't checked out the latest build yet but I ran your preliminary version and bar the need for bigger buttons, touchscreen response and such like, which you have worked on and nailed already in but a day, its was awesome. Really nice to have an update to this media marvel and the new skin is more than just a brand spanking new integumentary system and is truly a beauty to behold in everyones eyes I am sure. Thanks for all your work, its appreciated :)

Thanks for all of your work on this. I am noticing some strange problems however with scaling. Try opening any 16:9 video and repeatedly press f to toggle fullscreen. You will see the picture get increasingly distorted.

Could you also post a link to the sourcecode?

Thanks for all of your work on this. I am noticing some strange problems however with scaling. Try opening any 16:9 video and repeatedly press f to toggle fullscreen. You will see the picture get increasingly distorted.

Could you also post a link to the sourcecode?

I just tried it with about 4 different 16:9 files, each with different sizes and such, and haven't noticed any problems with scaling, so not sure what is going on there. As far as source code, its based off of the mplayer2-build git tree, but with libav replaced with commit e146ad95d79b1a6e6b9e566366b832825c79679f from the ffmpeg.git off of videolan.org, and for mplayer2, it's based off of commit 827faa38436f55fbb15b7dce4abcc5c6608a428b off of mplayer.git off of repo.or.cz . As far as the configuration options, it's as follows:

libav_options:

--target-os=linux

--arch=arm

--cpu=cortex-a8

--cross-prefix=pandora-

--disable-encoders

--enable-libschroedinger

--enable-libfaac

--enable-nonfree

--enable-gnutls

--enable-libmp3lame

--enable-libgsm

--enable-libtheora

--enable-libspeex

--enable-libvorbis

mplayer_options:

--host-cc=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc

--target=arm-linux

--prefix=/mnt/utmp/panplayer

--enable-select

--enable-armv6

--enable-neon

--enable-tv

--enable-tv-v4l1

--enable-tv-v4l2

--enable-rtc

--enable-freetype

--enable-sortsub

--enable-jpeg

--enable-real

--enable-theora

--enable-mad

--enable-fbdev

--enable-sdl

--enable-x11

--enable-xv

--enable-alsa

--enable-select

--disable-live

--disable-liba52

--disable-vm

--disable-gl

common_options:

--enable-cross-compile

I made some changes to the build scripts to correctly cross compile, but other than that, and adding in the omapfb patches, that's about all that I have done to build it. picklelauncher is based off of revision 8.

For actual building, I used ivanovics sdk based off of ipk's, with a custom environment-setup file that I wrote over a course of time, but I used the cflags "-DPANDORA -O4 -pipe -march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -fexpensive-optimizations -marm -fomit-frame-pointer" to build all of the stuff.

Tried the new version this morning but quite a few videos that used to work now dont, so went back to old version.

Got black screen and unresponsive, and had to kill it with Pandora key held down and then kill process.

Back