PanMAME Betatesting

Maybe it's like mame4all, you have to activate it after running the emu ?

I used S-Video.  I do see the gamelist.  It's just that no matter what game I pick, Panmame tries to run it but then returns back to the gamelist.  I'll try composite later, but why does it work with composite and not s-video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't it like to switch the resolution on tvout?

The gamelist is 800x480 while when starting a game, the resolution switches to the selected one.

Edit: Try to deactivate 2x or 3x scalers for games.

Is there something in the logs?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is working with the last SZ version? I have a bunch of games (and I'm sure they are working, 106 tested mame and 106 pleasuredome torrent verified) but all the games do the same: I start it and, after a black screen, it return to main menu.

EDIT: Ok, some games from Neogeo are working (can someone try mmaulers.zip? I think it requires dadandr.zip) but without sound. I am going to try some more roms to verify this.

EDIT 2: After a reset sound seems to work now (??) but mmaulers.zip doesn't work. It seems that it is not supported by this version. Anywa another issue:

I'm running Neo Geo karnov revenge and it go very slow. I have the Pandora overclocked @900Mhz but still it go with frame lose. Can I change it? How?

Last edited:
Tried to play around with various settings in PanMame but vector games look horrible. Something like Astroids you don' t even see the bullets what makes it unplayable, the brightness of the vector lines is gray/blurred. Mame4all performs slightly better, but still not very sharp.
Has anyone a fix for this? On the GP2X it looks a lot better.

Hmm.. can FBA play something like Astroids? I thought it was mainly for CPS2 games? Anyway, worth a try.

Hmm.. can FBA play something like Astroids? I thought it was mainly for CPS2 games? Anyway, worth a try.
It plays more systems than that, but maybe you are right, vector games are not supported.

It plays more systems than that, but maybe you are right, vector games are not supported.

Okay, too bad. Already noticed Astroids was not on the gaming list. Mame4all vector games are not as sharp as on the GP2X but they are playable (without bright daylight). With LCD gamma set to "very bright" and playing in the dark it works best.

Yes, Asteroids was one of the first golden age of video games releases, and I suspect is build using discrete logic and not an actual CPU. KLOV lists both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe as unique conversion class games which generally indicates this or an early 8088 chip or something. Space Duel is listed as colour vector class but that might be more about the monitor. Weirdly Blasteroids is listed an a unique conversion class as well, but I'd be amazed if that was built using discrete logic in 1987.

From wikipedia. So Astroids used the MOS 6502.

Hardware​

Asteroids was implemented on hardware developed by Delman and is a vector game, in which the graphics are composed of lines drawn on a vector monitor.[14] Rains initially wanted the game done in raster graphics, but Logg, experienced in vector graphics, suggested an XY monitor because the high image quality would permit precise aiming.[8][10] The hardware is chiefly a MOS 6502 executing the game program,[5] and QuadraScan, a high-resolution vector graphics processor developed by Atari and referred to as an "XY display system" and the "Digital Vector Generator (DVG)".[7][16][17]

The original design concepts for QuadraScan came out of Cyan Engineering, Atari's off-campus research lab in Grass Valley, California, in 1978. Cyan gave it to Delman, who finished the design and first used it for Lunar Lander. Logg received Delman's modified board with five buttons, 13 sound effects,
dia

BTW - also tried tempest on PanMame and ditto - works horrible. From a usability perspective I think PanMame has a lot of issues with older games (also lot less compatible)

Tempest works very nice on Mame4all though, bright and sharp.

Back