Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Some idiot issues here :(

1. I've still finding the gameplay hard - specifically, once the player figure starts dropping, it REALLY drops! It seems to require a disproportionate amount of flapping to prvent the character falling to/off the bottom edge :(

2. I am probably missing some aspect of the goal, or the keys to use, or something. When I go into the little hut at the end, nothing happens? the level just continues to run...?

3. More key confusion. Once I am somewhere off the menu (in the game, or in the "Achievements" section, as 2 examples) I can't get back tot he menu - Esc doesn't work, nor does "End" or "Ctrl-Q".

4. It doesn't respond to a USB joystick AFAICS (so I can't use "B" to go Back, for example).

Otherwise it seems to be huge fun, certainly had be grinning and my son too :D

No criticism is meant, just trying to give feedback and request assistance for how/where I'm going wrong.

MarkoeZ said:
Ah, stones were not on the todo list yet, should be an easy fix. And if there are really big collision errors, i'd like to know where. I'm not cleaning up the very tiny ones since i'll be switching to different collision detection after the first full demo, but that should ofcourse also be playable decently
Well one thing I noticed (it might be a fault on my end, which should be proved by further testing), was when I miscalculated one jump and bumped into the left side of a platform. I tried to prevent my fall by flapping a few times and managed to get higher than the platform it, but not above it as the hero just did not want to move right (although I pressed the key), which made it fall to a painful death (or so I imagine). This can either be caused by a key reset occurring when I hit the platform or a collision detection error (platform appears too high) or just stupidity on my end (I looked crooked and actually was not above the platform).

MarkoeZ said:
Yup, editor is still very beta, but should be functional. When the popup appears for the x scope, just type the number you want, 150 for instance (with the top row of keys currently) and press enter.
Well the problem was I was not able to enter a number, it worked before, but that one time I was not able to do anything (get that box to close), exit to the menu, nothing. Also pressing the X to close the window did not work, I had to shut down the program using the task-manager.

Another thing I forgot to mention, which did really bother me: The enemies in the background get REALLY annoying and confusing as one often mistakes them for real enemies, but scenery. You should desaturate or brighten them up a bit to make it clear they don't interfere with gameplay.

Monk said:
2. I am probably missing some aspect of the goal, or the keys to use, or something. When I go into the little hut at the end, nothing happens? the level just continues to run...?

3. More key confusion. Once I am somewhere off the menu (in the game, or in the "Achievements" section, as 2 examples) I can't get back tot he menu - Esc doesn't work, nor does "End" or "Ctrl-Q".
at 2: On some levels you have to achieve certain goals before the cage unlocks (when it has a door it cannot be entered). Look at the bottom left of the screen, when there are enemy-symbols you have to kill these much more enemies, when there are eggs you have to collect more eggs.

at 3: well of course not, this game only responds to the Pandora's "action" buttons (A,B,X,Y,L,R) which are mapped to (X,Y,S,A,Q,W) on a PC. To exit a screen (like the Achievement screen) you have to press the button as indicated (at the lower left it says "Back" with a Y-Button symbol left to it).

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
foxblock said:
foxblock out

Ah, excellent, ta. That just made my Panjoust Readme, so tomorrow should be even more fun :)
Yes there is some USB joymapping functionality but it's scripted and a little bit complicated... I'm trying to work on a general GUI to generate the scripts.

Monk: On the quick drops: Could it be that you hit the top of the screen when flying upward? because then you will bounce down with the same speed. This is intentional to keep the player from hovering at the top. And if you lauch up quickly you will fall back just as fast ;) Could save that for later levels maybe... Glad you figured things out though :)

Fox: Fixed up platform collisions a bit.

Think i know where the input thingy bug is in the leveleditor, ill try to fix that tomorrow. Made and edited those 8 levels without crashes, so has to be one of the newest additions

Cheers!

MarkoeZ, please don't forget the following: ;)

foxblock said:
Another thing I forgot to mention, which did really bother me: The enemies in the background get REALLY annoying and confusing as one often mistakes them for real enemies, but scenery. You should desaturate or brighten them up a bit to make it clear they don't interfere with gameplay.

It probably cannot make it in this release, but it might be a good thing to consider for the future as it is really confusing and hinders gameplay.

@Fox: Well the guys in the background will not be flying around that much in the final version. and i have some other plans to make sure you know what's attackable and what not ;)

Gerneral: The music player project does not mean nothing is happening with Panjoust. In fact, that is also a tesplatform for new stuff. For instance for the Penjin Collisionregion class from Foxblock. I'm changing all collisions in the game to use that. Once i got the hang of it, pretty easy. Currently implemented for the hero and the enemies. Collectibles and obstacles are next, but should got very fast now i know how to use it.

Platforms feel much better now. I found out there was an oooooooold hacky fix for a small bug that has been long eliminated (doh... ; ) making reaching a platform from the side a couple of pixels more difficult. And that's noticable. Also, i will make the very fast drop slow down a lot more if you flap your wings, that's the most heard complaint currently. But this style will return in level xx!!!!!!

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Edit: Some of you might find this interesting: 2 player very beta. im playing both birds :p

From the Beta section, in an older topic, but with a very nice new video:
Mofokubik said:
I've been having some fun with panjoust and thought i'd record a little video clip.

I would like to add that this game looks, sounds and plays beautifully on the pandora. Nice work!!

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

p.s. cross posted for news/video continuity in this thread, since it's the most accurate development blog.

Man, i take a short break from this project and we drop to the second page... :p

Anyway: To those that playtested Panjoust on the Pandora itself and thought it was a bit too hard: YOU WERE RIGHT!!! For obvious reasons i was not able to test it myself, but apparently, either the extensive use of (currently software) SDL, or some other piece of code not really happy on the panda, creates a bit of sluggishness in the controls. Especially left and right on the ground and in the air while not flapping are affected. I made a temporary fix in the code and it works great, it feels the same as the pc i develop on now (my idea of how it should feel ; )

Conclusion: Back at work, with renewed energy, Pandora to test on, and official demo coming soon!

Cheers!

Edit: This, combined with the improved platform handling and fast-drop-recovery, will make some people very happy i think :)

Ok, the 8 level demo is updated, pnd packaged and bug free... well probably 99.9%, but i'll fix the last ones that might appear now instantly and update.

If you never played before, the 8 levels even provide quite some playing time, as i don't expect many people to finish it within the first hour. And i'm not even counting if more people play on the same pandora and your highscore gets beaten ofcourse ;) Final game will have saving feature implemented, but i kinda like the arcade style for the demo.

Will upload to the archive and some other places tomorrow (well, after i sleep, it's late/early here), at the library, since my mobile connection (read provider) will never accept multiple 42mb uploads.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Ps: The level editor will still be BETA! It's fully usable, touchscreen clicking and moving of objects even works so much better then i had expected. But it still needs a layout and graphics update, and has some last twitches.

Edit: Hmm, our local mcdonalds has wifi. Now to sit there and upload would be kind of sad, but a nice bar has a terrace right next to it. And to sit there, uploading the first official Panjoust build, with 23 degrees celcius, sun and a beer in hand would make it that much nicer ;)

Edit: No still buggy.

I can put the pnd on the desktop, and it runs fine, icon also. But when i place it in the menu folder, it does not show up.

I suspect something is wrong with the PXML:

Tried everything from the PXML specifications and example file, but no luck...
Tips anyone?

Edit2: Found it! PND coming!

for reference, it was a space in the exec tag between / and >...
Code:

Well for those of you as fortunate as me (to own one): The first official (demo) release of Panjoust for Pandora!

Get it at the archive

Playable demo, but a very big step towards the full game.

Thanks to all of the artists, and the people of this forum for the content, feedback, tips and talks, in short: for making this possible!!!
And special thanks to PokeParadox!! without your support and patience, i would have given up a loooong time ago ;)

Thanks, and enjoy!!

I found a bug :) when you try to use the rock catapult.

I have noticed that if you land on the catapult (left side) with the rock still attached to you it becomes unattached which is fine but you cant pick up any rocks for the remainder of the level unless you die and re-spawn of course.

hope this helps.

Ok people, been a while. One sentence pandora review: Awesome, but bad for development productivity ;)
Anyway, we are back to work!!

Pokeparadox did me a huge favour. He is upgrading Penjin to use GL_ES instead of SDL, and he used Panjoust as a test target. Result is i now have a hardware accelerated version of Panjoust :D (Poke, hope you get your Pandora back or a new one soon!)
Youtube video of Panjoust ES beta
As you can see some magenta issues, and i need to redo the background images and code, but still pretty nice.

Also the bug with the seesaw is fixed. But due to my bandwith issues, no pnd update yet, sorry.

Next up: Pause screen menu.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

I uploaded a more recent version of Panjoust to the archive. Seesaw bug fixed, pause menu added, and some credits updates. (No gles yet, still has some issues before it's release ready)

I also wanted to upload to Pandora Apps, but it has a 30mb upload limit. And i tried, but can't compress any further than 41mb

MarkoeZ

Really nice to see the game near completion.
It seems like, musically, my work is pretty much done. SO to round things off I decided to compose a Panjoust Suite. This track's just for fun but perhaps could feature as a special game completed track.

Anyway, I've decided to upload the track to my site and share the link (exclusively) with you guys.
Here's the link click here

Hope you like it, I've had great fun composing it and the rest of the music for the game.
Cheers,
Nick.

Oh and check out my new webpage, there are a couple of panjoust samples on there... www.nickmaymusic.com

Nick May said:
Really nice to see the game near completion.
It seems like, musically, my work is pretty much done. SO to round things off I decided to compose a Panjoust Suite. This track's just for fun but perhaps could feature as a special game completed track.

Anyway, I've decided to upload the track to my site and share the link (exclusively) with you guys.
Here's the link click here

Hope you like it, I've had great fun composing it and the rest of the music for the game.
Cheers,
Nick.

Oh and check out my new webpage, there are a couple of panjoust samples on there... www.nickmaymusic.com
Thank you so much, seriously your music fits the game beautifully, full of drama and atmosphere. :)

Back