Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Monk said:
MarkoeZ said:
@jourdy: i allready have over half an hour of various music from Nick May, including victory music. it's just not included in the demo yet because of upload limits, and i want to keep some new stuff for the full game :)

I must admit, I've wondered briefly at times if I should have posted so much online - the wasp, for example, might have been a nice surprise (I don't think I would have gottent he Wyvern as good as it's been, stylistically, without peer support tho so, although that would have been a better/nicer surprise... meh, too much thinking too little time!)

Meh, i think you did right. Difference is that you have to create graphics to match an existing game (in development), and to be honest, i find the feedback from the forum VERY useful, i'm no graphics guy as you know. Nick is responsible for all of the music, so for him it's far easier keeping the same (great) style.

And as a player, you will still feel excitement/fear/anger when you first encounter the dragon, it will be a tough one ;)

Cheers!!

p.s. Monk, maybe we should do a little surprise one as well, something small :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, anyone still here? no posts in the whole developers corner for 2 days? weird... Everyone F5-ing the blog for assembly updates or something like that?
Must confess i had busy (and some entertaining) days myself.

Did make the countdown beep work though. It's currently set to 10 seconds, but i don't think that's necessary. Maybe a single beep at 10 seconds, and beeps for the last 3-5. The music in the short time levels already speeds up towards the end (currently 3 tracks, 1 min, 1.30 and 2 mins) , so you'll know when to get worried.

Also i think we should freeze new additions for now. There is enough material to start cleaning up for the first final demo. The Pandora release should be near now (how many times have we said that, could finally be true : ) and i really want it to be fun and playable by then.

Thoughts? Comments? Cheers?

Cheers! ;)

P.s.: If you have new additions or ideas about changing things, please keep posting them here!! just don't expect them in the first demo release (unless it's brilliant and quick to implement ofcourse ; )After the first release, development will not stop untill there is at least a fully working 2 player game.

I haven't read this thread for a while, so this is a bit late, but Monk - you probably want to have the wings applying different amounts of force when the wyvern/dragon is turning. It's like canoeing, you apply force unevenly when you want to turn. It looks too artificial to have the dragon turning even though the wings appear to be applying the same amount of force.

Hey,

Great that this baby will be ready for Pandora launch.

The only thing is that the down side of Platforms look a bit boring and weird

Could it look a bit like Wandor if thats still possible:

test_mockup.png

Maybe we could out slime on the undersides of the platforms? Or some sort of enemies?

Well i must say i like the floating platforms of Wandor. And it's certainly something that could be upgraded in the future. Just not in this.. ;)

Working hard on getting things ready and playable now. font is better, buttons in the editor placed better, weird texts removed, etc..

Cheers!

Monk said:
Still watching, just working too much IRL to contribute much at the moment :(

No problem, feel free to drop in again when time permits. There is currently a feature freeze, so im not working on new stuff anyway ;) (although input is still appreciated for the next release!)

Things are shaping up quite nicely:
Latest font works good for now, readable and not distracting.
I implemented all the music... Man that's a difference. I tried all individual tracks while testing ofcourse, but to hear all tracks matched to graphicset/timelimit/win/etc is just awesome! Thanks Nick May!
Buttons in leveleditor repositioned, debugging texts removed, and more small stuff.

Hard at work creating levels!

Cheers,

MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ said:
No problem, feel free to drop in again when time permits. There is currently a feature freeze, so im not working on new stuff anyway ;) (although input is still appreciated for the next release!)

I must admit that with the Pandoras actually being assembled I figured a feature freeze and "finish the first version" would be the current status, which is one reason I'm trying to help out elsewhere too :)

Tho I really should repaint the wasp, as that's the easiest outstanding item to do from my end, I believe.

Things are shaping up quite nicely:
Latest font works good for now, readable and not distracting.
I implemented all the music... Man that's a difference. I tried all individual tracks while testing ofcourse, but to hear all tracks matched to graphicset/timelimit/win/etc is just awesome! Thanks Nick May!
Buttons in leveleditor repositioned, debugging texts removed, and more small stuff.

I'm really glad the music is working well, and I too can not wait to hear it implemented! How is the music working with the sound FX, as I haven't heard any sound FX yet.
Looking forward to the first release!

Cheers,
Nick.

Nick May said:
I'm really glad the music is working well, and I too can not wait to hear it implemented! How is the music working with the sound FX, as I haven't heard any sound FX yet.
Looking forward to the first release!

Cheers,
Nick.

Well i only have VERY basic sound effects implemented. simple walking sound, a swoosh when the hero flaps, and a small boing when you hit an enemy. Some small stuff can be added for egg collecting, and ofcourse bosses would be nice with sound effects, but i don't think it needs a lot more. The music is entertaining enough. But curious if ppl think otherwise.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Edit: There might not be a jungle level in the first release. Unfortunately i have not been able to reach Amigo Bandito for the past few weeks, and all i have is the mockups and one mountain from somewhere earlier in the thread. Too bad, because the graphics look awesome, and the soundtrack for it is great as well...

Good news: Not only is Amigo back, but he has also provided me all the graphics of the jungle set. I implemented them and added the music. Even without the waterfall mountain currently, it looks and sounds great! No public vids of this one, you'll have to wait until the demo.
About that, it will probably still be a WIP release. But ill try to make it fun at least for a couple of hours :)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ - had some inspiration and I added rotcaching config and precache to Penjin and PanJoust. You only have to update both from SVN and you are good to go!
Spinny software rendered windmills with no performance loss! :)

PokeParadox said:
MarkoeZ - had some inspiration and I added rotcaching config and precache to Penjin and PanJoust. You only have to update both from SVN and you are good to go!
Spinny software rendered windmills with no performance loss! :)

Awesome!! but unfortunately for you you have proven a point. If i keep nagging long enough it will get fixed eventually!!! :p
Nah, seriously, thanks. As you know, that stuff is still a bit too complex for me.

While im posting: still hard at work getting things ready. Mostly small stuff, removed try again on final death, added last scorescreen on death adding the points from the last level, implemented icy wyvern (not 100% sure about the colours) et. etc.

MarkoeZ said:
While im posting: still hard at work getting things ready. Mostly small stuff, removed try again on final death, added last scorescreen on death adding the points from the last level, implemented icy wyvern (not 100% sure about the colours) et. etc.

If you can give me very specific directions (10% more blue on the skin, or 5% brighter overall, or whatever) there is very little to stop me producing more renders. That's probably the easier bit, but "not 100%" is somehting I have difficulty improving upon :(

Gimme a yell - the Wyvern is all just pure colours, very VERY simple to change (I haven't looked at how tricky the wasp will be to change, I got kinda involved in other stuff, including doing chemistry experiments for the kids at my sons school).

Monk said:
If you can give me very specific directions (10% more blue on the skin, or 5% brighter overall, or whatever) there is very little to stop me producing more renders. That's probably the easier bit, but "not 100%" is somehting I have difficulty improving upon :(

Oh, i'll make a short vid for contributors soon, i'll show you what i mean, no worries :) Just busy with a lot of stuff, Panjoust, small music player thingy im experimenting with, and some non programming stuff

Monk said:
I got kinda involved in other stuff, including doing chemistry experiments for the kids at my sons school.

Ah, always nice. Make sure to put in a ps somewhere if you blow something up, turn a carpet green, or anything else in that direction ;)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ said:
Ah, always nice. Make sure to put in a ps somewhere if you blow something up, turn a carpet green, or anything else in that direction ;)

We did a nucleation volcano experiment to show the kids how a voclanic explosion works (sortof) especially one that has had ice and snow melt dropped into it as in the recent Icelandic eruptions. The result, which featured a plaster-of-paris volcano and several 2 litre bottles of cola, was quite spectacular. Had the head quite worried about how much cleanup would be required afterwards (but it was OK, you can't see where we did it after a couple of days hot weather and the fact we did it on grass).

Boys and girls - try this at hom! A nice cheap 2 liter bottle of cola - cheapest you can find - and mentos. Not just any mints - mentos specifically. Kids of all ages love it when you drop say 10 of those straight into a bottle of cola. And step back, naturally.

"Experiment" had to be repeated the next week for kids who'd been absent ;) (and my own son got more involved in running trials at home beforehand, so we knew how to get the best result).

We should probably put up a thread for cheap, safe, yet impressive "science you can all do" :D

favorite of mine used tobe: strip a battery, attach parts to voltage converter, capture bubbles: instant hydrogen and oxygen... boom!!! (edit: well, it's quite a wait actually ; )

Aaannyway, need to make something of this post now. What about a very dark blue/black slightly larger render of the wyvern as sort of "Wyvern Lord"? with maybe some extra animations? i believe you still had some other stuff, not sure. Post ideas here, or pm me. Images preferably by pm from now on. It's not closed suddenly or something, but some surprises are nice :) (oh and feel free to still post teasers here ofcourse ; )

Cheers!!

Back