Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Nick May said:
Really nice to see the game near completion.
It seems like, musically, my work is pretty much done. SO to round things off I decided to compose a Panjoust Suite. This track's just for fun but perhaps could feature as a special game completed track.

Anyway, I've decided to upload the track to my site and share the link (exclusively) with you guys.
Here's the link click here

Hope you like it, I've had great fun composing it and the rest of the music for the game.
Cheers,
Nick.

Oh and check out my new webpage, there are a couple of panjoust samples on there... www.nickmaymusic.com

Yes, Thanks!!! i wanted to reply before, but i thought you deserved more than a simple thanks, so i waited till i had the time (now : )
Really, your music makes such a big difference for the game, it just finishes it. Also it motivated me to keep going.
And that latest track, epic again :) I'll see if i can find a nice place for it.

So to conclude, one more THANKS!!!! (Also to May88 for sitting through all the editing time ; )

Cheers, and hope we may work together again in the future :)

MarkoeZ

Edit: and just a note, the game is not near completion, the demo is :) The eventual goal is quite a lot bigger, but i have no rush, development of Panjoust had it's fast and slow times, but it will keep it's fluctuating but steady pace i hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok an update, still active at times :)

I got (local) 2 player working better. Camera now centers between players in 2p mode, and xvelocity is reversed if one of the players reaches the edge of the screen. Forces collaboration in cooperative mode and could be used as trick in battle mode or something, but have not given that much thought.

Just to be clear: The goal is to have a proper playable, 2 controller multiplayer game by the time the video out cables ship. a nice, clear, and probably reachable goal :) Also for PokeParadox i hope, since i'm going to need some help getting 2 controllers working in Penjin (And i hope i have reached the point that i can actually be active in adding that : )

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ said:
Also for PokeParadox i hope, since i'm going to need some help getting 2 controllers working in Penjin (And i hope i have reached the point that i can actually be active in adding that : )
You bad bad man, giving me more working to do!

I have now played this on a Pandora. B)

Guys, it is brilliant. Visually it's sublime, all the different contributions have meshed together beautifully. Musically... I probably don't need to remind you that I'm a drooling fan of Nick May's work. The gameplay is spot on too, the physics are just how they should be and I can see that the level layouts lend themselves to speed runs. I like how the various mechanics are introduced too. The first use of the
catapult to take out a bird
screams good game design.

Praise doesn't help you improve the game though :p so with some more play I will hopefully have some constructive feedback. Until then, high fives all round and thanks for this superb piece of homebrew. <3

This is a brilliant project and an excellent product. Well done you guys. I hope you'll consider this same model of development for new games in the future!

Guys, you are too kind for us :)

But really, feedback like this is wat is making all of this worth it and keeps driving me (us) to keep developing and expanding Panjoust.

Thanks!!

Hello,

If any of the contributors have some distant, non tech-comfortable relatives and friends you'd like to show the beta (exactly the reason i made it ; ) , there is now also an easy windows self extracting install of the 0.3 demo. just download n run setup.exe and it pops up in the start menu. Uninstall as well.

Direct download link

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Edit: Oh, and no links to it in mainstream places please, it's still the beta demo.

I just wanted to drop in and say how impressed I am with the Pandora demo - I've been playing it now that I've gotten my Pandora replaced. :) Great fun. Good job!

MarkoeZ said:
If any of the contributors have some distant, non tech-comfortable relatives and friends you'd like to show the beta (exactly the reason i made it ; ) , there is now also an easy windows self extracting install of the 0.3 demo.

Thanks MarkoeZ, I hate platform games using a keyboard, but this was pretty fun. Looking forward to playing on a Pandora with real controls. Good work and thanks again for the demo.

^^ thanks, and thanks :)

I was thinking about maybe polishing up that windows installer just a little bit more and putting it somewhere just a bit more general. Now i've been looking, but i find loads of places to post finished games, but not so much for beta's, with place for feedback. So, anybody know any good sites or forums to make a mention once i have the more polished installer ready?
I'd like some more general gameplay feedback, and perhaps some level makers or more graphic artists will get interested. Alway room for more characters.

Also, if anyone has the time and skill to make a proper Wikipedia page for Panjoust, please :) i looked into it, and i can probably edit it once it's made, but creating from scratch just takes too much of my time atm (work work work... vacation time, people away, people sick, people fired, blah) Contact me or post here if you are interested.

Currently working on: Enemy behaviour. Detection ranges, attack styles, follow patterns, etc.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Ok i doubt that anyone but me and Poke are using it, but i switched SVN to project Kenai. Seems to work very nice till now, and has private svn option. Now i'm going to open up everything eventually, and might make some parts public right away if desired, but i'd like to keep some stuff private for now. Let me know if you want access for some reason, it's not like it's not a closed project suddenly, just like to know who's working with it :)

and small technical screeny, not made for graphic showoff obviously ;)

editorscreeny10-8.png

Edit: clarifications

ok, enemies respond different now, both on detection and before. But check the beta vid:
Youtube

Cheers!

wow! there are trying to kill us :D

Good work, this game grow more and more

And another small update: Started wasp behaviour. Not 100% finished yet, but pretty annoying already ;)

Heavily compressed YouTube vid

Cheers!

Eniko said:
Those wasps look as annoying in game as they are in real life. :p

Haha thanks, that's the goal. I don't want to make them too deadly, but as annoying as possible :p and they won't show up much in the early levels of the final game, so you can practise on the birds and porks before they appear.

Ok, cleaning up new enemy behaviour and adjusted the existing levels to handle enemy YScope and detection ranges properly. Should be a new beta demo out very soon. Final enemy attacks and animations will not be finished yet, but getting there. And i need some feedback on their general movement first.

Also, an idea i got tonight: Penjin already supports an usb controller, and i thought the video out is basically a second monitor you could clone or send another signal to, so what about 2 player panjoust, one on the pandora controls and screen, and one on tv and controller :p

MarkoeZ said:
Ok, cleaning up new enemy behaviour and adjusted the existing levels to handle enemy YScope and detection ranges properly. Should be a new beta demo out very soon. Final enemy attacks and animations will not be finished yet, but getting there. And i need some feedback on their general movement first.

Also, an idea i got tonight: Penjin already supports an usb controller, and i thought the video out is basically a second monitor you could clone or send another signal to, so what about 2 player panjoust, one on the pandora controls and screen, and one on tv and controller :p
Eeep... well yes the Pandora supports TV-out and USB and Penjin supports USB remapping of the SimpleJoy... what it currently doesn't do is allow multiple SimpleJoys for multiplayer. Also we don't know how the display functionality of the TV out is going to work yet with regards to displaying separate pictures. So... good idea, but let's not get everyone too excited yet... :)
SimpleJoy - I just need to find some time to hack in device number checking.
TV-out - I'm guessing we get a 640x480 display but again currently I have no idea how one would access this.

Back