Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

It's a possibility, but because snow is more air resistant than rain, it would fall in a wind-assisted arc, and that is something I would have no idea how to recreate correctly.

Hi all,

About the levels:

I'm going to have to do lots of changes to the level (loading) system. It's simply not ready for that many different graphics yet (going to take a peek how the Wandor ppl are doing it, they generously offered ; ) But once i have it working the way i want, the number of graphic sets possible is just about as limited as Amigo's imagination ;)
Not certain that repeating every set 5 times would be the best option. I was thinking 2/3 levels of one style in a row to be maximum, that style would come back later in the game ofcourse. But that will also depend on how big the particular levels are and how soon i'm going to implement special levels (vertical scrolling, different objective, minibosses).

About the status/score bar:

Looking nice, but i think if you flip it vertical and put it at the bottom it would look better. Since this is a flying game i think the top of the screen should be open (even though you can't go there). Current graphics and text work because of lack of a background. I think...

Also, could we get some snow blowing around like a blizzard?

Hey Jourdy, thanks for understanding about the avatar.
I think that if you want to contribute to this project, start with some simple things first to get the feel. Some more collectible eggs for instance. I know, sounds easy, but harder than you think to get them looking right in-game. You can get the dimensions from the existing eggs, but please do not copy them.

And nice idea about the snow. I allready have an idea how to implement that. The Penjin framework has a very useful particle system that i think would be perfect for this. Have not used it much though so i'm going to consult that with Poke.

Wow, this is looking better every time I pop in for updates! Great job guys!

OT: MarkoeZ, has anyone mentioned how your avatar kinda looks like the Weighted Companion Cube?

Thanks, and LOL, never seen that thing before, but looks awefull :p
My avatar is just an angry pandora logo that i quickly made in paint. In the PandoraPanic minigame Maze you have to get the pandora out into the world. Well, sort of, it's just a fast paced minigame that happens to have a pandora logo as character ;) check my youtube if you want (in my signature), it's there somewhere.

Whoops, did not mean to step on any toes here ;) But looking quickly at the image, and reading "companion cube", somehow in my head i imagined some weird japanese electronics toy... No idea where that came from :p (might be the beer though...)

Never heard of the game, sorry. I'll try and play it sometime soon.

Cheers!

Edit, note to self: Spend more time playing games ; )

MarkoeZ said:
I'm going to have to do lots of changes to the level (loading) system. It's simply not ready for that many different graphics yet (going to take a peek how the Wandor ppl are doing it, they generously offered ; )
Also we just got support for Parallax scrolling backgrounds with parameters defined in the level file :D

...play Portal! (duh)

Last edited by a moderator:
My little sister loved the demo, I intend on buying it now.

To those that found it the first time, there is new windows build online in the same location. Mind that this is again a techdemo for the contributors, and still has some bugs in the level editor, as well as some positioning and collisions that are still a bit off. Also only one music track since uploading them all would make my 3g provider very angry. But menu is working great, some new objects in the level, and some bugfixes. Enjoy!

Edit: Oh and if you run it like this: "yourpath/PanJoustTECHDEMO.exe -F " it runs fullscreen :)

Jourdy288 said:
My little sister loved the demo, I intend on buying it now.

Cool! It will be free (for pandora), but there will certainly be a donation button, so don't hold back if want to pay! ;) If any money is made, it will be fairly divided between all contributors.
Maybe in the future there will be extra levels that can be bought to show support, for 1 euro or something, or maybe an online multiplayer version if it will be made (again, wont be a lot), but that is for the future. Basic version will just be free (for pandora ; ).

Cheers!

Actually, I was talking about Portal :lol:
But she likes Joust too, she remembered playing the NES version when I showed her ours.

ack ok <_< , in that case you should choose your words differently, this is still the panjoust topic, not the portal one

But glad she liked it

She was pretty excited when she heard I was helping you guys with the remake, though, I'm going to surprise her by showing her the Windows version.

BTW, I got to test my unmounted bird sprites and I realized just how much I was off. I'll work on those more, they're not particularly attractive when inserted... And I'll work on new eggs, too. Anything in mind, like a special gold egg?

ok excited is good :) and don't forget there is a new techdemo windows executable on the google code page (downloads). It includes rough versions of the spikes and stone dropping, again, rough version. And no platform enemy to throw it on yet. On birds works, but it's hard...

About the birds: I allready tried to give you a couple of hints, but the birds WERE first drawn without a rider, so i allready HAVE good sprites of them.

The eggs: Go crazy. I could use more "normal" eggs for collecting, but i'm certain i can find a place for any (decently drawn) kind of egg. Golden, scaled, transparent...

LOL, sorry, I don't take very well to hints!
Also, I've been working on a cyborg type bird, (it's not nearly done) but I'll show you that later.

Gruso said:
Oh it's your son? I thought it was you! I'm in love with the music, I watched the video about 20 times last night.
Me! Create music. Nah! Funny, I love it too. I'm close behind you on the replay count. :)
I have written two pygame games which have some nice tracks from Nick. Yet to see how the Pandora handles python/pygame but I hope to finish them and donate to the community.

MarkoeZ said:
(Also hello Dad May ; )
Hello

Hi all,

I'm certain im top of the list. Hundreds of times, the various songs, while playtesting, and it still sounds as great as the first time!

There are 2 new youtube video's online. Not as slick as the last, and some more bugs, but i won't be at my own pc for a couple of days, so i wanted to get these out for the artists. And still looking pretty good. Gameplay one with a track from Nick May again, leveleditor without sound.

Gameplay demo with the rock and icicles. Remind that the rock is not intended for the birds, but can be used on them

Level editor (raw version again)

Cheers!!

I have also been a busy little bee. Here is the tentative color palette for the next set of levels.

dr2l39.jpg

I WAS kind of hoping to get a bit more red into the sunrise, but that's probably not going to happen. We'll see.

I pride myself on being able to churn out quality artwork at a rapid pace.

That whole image took about 3 hours, and all the parts are separate and ready to be implemented.

I just need clouds with the right color scheme for the location and we're in business.

EDIT: added clouds and some other recolored graphics that fit this area
http://i46.tinypic.com/24bvgp3.jpg

Marko, let me know when you want the .zip, I don't want to flood you with a million billion files until you actually plan to use them. I would be glad to tweak and fine-tune these for a while.

Back