Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Well i implemented some of the new amazing graphics by Amigo, made some extra layers, did some other stuff, and, look for yourself:

Latest Panjoust video. Really, it's a change...

Obviously the cages, weird BG stuff, and main menu in the end, are under development.

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
Well i implemented some of the new amazing graphics by Amigo, made some extra layers, did some other stuff, and, look for yourself:

Obviously the cages, weird BG stuff, and main menu in the end, are under development.

I love it.

I think I should crank out some higher resolution versions of these backgrounds. I'll get you a .zip of some of the more recent work ASAP, so you don't have to pull the failres images out of my posts here.

*Gorgeous*! It looks so incredibly polished already. Excellent work, all.

I can't wait to try it out. :D

MarkoeZ said:

:eek:
Seriously... :eek:

MarkoeZ said:

Yupp, really looks different. :) How some nice graphics can change the whole look & feel of a game, interesting.
The moving Clouds are very nice same for the parallax BG. The Plattforms seems to "thin" for me, maybe it would look better and more fitting to the BG when they look like floating rocks/mountains in the air. Something thicker structure where you can fly from underneeth straight to ontop without bumping your head. So collision with the island is only from top to down and not from down to top.

Quick sketch

floatlandkopie.png

of couse, you also need 2 side tiles and a matching middle tile to have a variable length. I see this bigger structure as a second type to the small platforms, but maybe this Island doesn't look good when it is to wide.

Here's a middle tile, I didn't give it a jagged bottom or anything, it'll work best as a floor tile:

9lk0mc.jpg

I have a couple questions. I downloaded the game, how exactly do I compile and run it?
Also, I'm interested in making sprites for a tougher enemy, like a birdrider you have to hit a couple more times to defeat. Should I make them look more evil?

fusion_power said:
*snip* structure where you can fly from underneeth straight to ontop without bumping your head. So collision with the island is only from top to down and not from down to top.

That would kinda ruin the joust feel i think (but open for discussion). Might be interesting for special levels though.
But i agree with you that in the current setting the platforms could be a bit thinker, and the island is definately useful as an extra object. Thanks!

Also thanks again for the support everyone. We will try to live up to the expectations and deliver a well designed, well playing game.
I am working on a windows demo executable (sorry, no linux yet), so the graphics and music artists can get a better feel of the game

And: it's not as easy as it looks in the video ;)

Cheers!

Edit: The windows demo is ready, but im not posting the link here. It's not ready enough for full public testing. So pm me, or search for yourself, it's not that hard to find ;)

Edit2: More good news! 2 new music/sounds artists are also confirmed:

* Nick May for the in game music
* Deise for short tracks and game sounds

Both very talented composers well up for the job

mslyio.jpg

I call it the Metalmaw. Still needs cleaning up, changes, etc. Good idea?

Jourdy288 said:
mslyio.jpg

I call it the Metalmaw. Still needs cleaning up, changes, etc. Good idea?

Err, i like your enthousiasm, but those are really Dragons_slayers sprites. If changes are to be made to them, that's up to him i suppose.

OK, no prob at all. I was just wondering if you'd want something like that as a villain..
30jljdw.jpg

@Dragons_Slayer:
What do you think? There's a little issue with the helmet getting caught in the top of the frame, but that's just the GIF :lol:

No offence, but that looks completely like the original sprite except for the grey pecker.
In-game one would have a hard time distinguishing between those two in the heat of the battle (as the only difference are some grey pixels).
Also that little change does not explain why it would have more health or something like that.

I think if you want to make a new enemy, change the base layout. The main strength or attribute of the villain has to be clear on the first glance.
So in this case, make it full-metal, or give the rider some metal armour, something that really stands out and draws attention.
Or design a completely new kind of enemy.

For some more information on this, go look up the TF2 design philosophy: TF2 Wiki
If you don't know that game, shame on you, but I will give some brief description:
It's a fast paced, class based (Medic, Soldier, Sniper, etc.) first person shooter, with a comic graphic style.
While the general anatomic proportions are met, all characters are heavily stylized and exaggerated.
For example the Heavy Weapons Guy has massive health and wields a minigun, which does a huge amount of damage. Therefore he is a big, fat guy and his weapon also is, so you can clearly identify him in a crowd and quickly turn and flee.
The sniper on the other hand is very thin, like a wimp, so he looks kind of fragile and he also only has less then half of the hitpoints the heavy has.

I hope this helps

foxblock out

Gotcha, I'm on it.
So maybe blade-tipped wings, use a chain for the harness, etc. The works.

Okay, just because I'm not posting updates, doesn't mean the work isn't getting done.
33xg6r7.jpg

All of the files in that image are CURRENTLY IN MARKO'S EMAIL INBOX

SOMEONE SHOULD CHECK THEIR EMAIL

I'm no DaVinci when it comes to spritework, but I seem to manage quite well.

Also, I haven't spoken directly with Marko about the flight strength bar on the left, although I am fairly certain the way I have it set up will be easy to implement.

Also, I attempted an animation for the hut, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, won't we?

Anyway, As always, with love from bandito.

EDIT:

I sat down to play the demo release (Fun as hell, even if it is unfinished)

I realized that if you hit an enemy in midair, your flight power can exceed 10 flaps

This is a problem for the way I set up the energy bar, it will need some correcting on my part or on Marko's part

Personally, I am perfectly fine with adding another notifier to the bar that shows when you have more than full power, something like this might do it, with the extrusions at the top changing color to reflect the number of extra flaps
2w49xj5.png

Any other ideas from the peanut gallery?

I don't think the bar can go higher than 15, so this might be the best solution

Image is looking great again!!

All of the files in that image are CURRENTLY IN MARKO'S EMAIL INBOX

SOMEONE SHOULD CHECK THEIR EMAIL

Yeahyeah ;) , just came home from 10 hours of work, i'll get right to it, but most work will probably be done tomorrow (allmost 5 am here)

I'm no DaVinci when it comes to spritework, but I seem to manage quite well.

Seem to be doing a heck of a lot better than me!

I sat down to play the demo release (Fun as hell, even if it is unfinished)

Thanks!!

I realized that if you hit an enemy in midair, your flight power can exceed 10 flaps

This is a problem for the way I set up the energy bar, it will need some correcting on my part or on Marko's part

Personally, I am perfectly fine with adding another notifier to the bar that shows when you have more than full power, something like this might do it, with the extrusions at the top changing color to reflect the number of extra flaps

Yup i noticed that as well. At first i thought about setting it at a 10 max, but then i thought i might come in handy. For instance you have to hit a bird first to clear a very long gap. Your solution seems fine to me though :)

Going to implement some of the the stuff now!!!

Cheers

Edit: My forumk mail appeared to be a none working adress so i did not get anything :( I've sent you a pm with my most active mail adress

All of the graphics are looking really good! but the mix of pixel art and the more painted style is a bit weird. Well it doesn't look bad, but the sprites I made are very saturated/colourful, while the background isn't. I think it will look better if I redo the colours of my birds, here an example:

colortest.jpg

desaturate.jpg

The difference isn't that big but I really think the right enemy bird looks better. What do you guys think?

I should have a bunch of the sound effects done by Monday and other stuff will follow, the bird flaps are hard to get right (I'm using a blanket to make them). I have the enemy cries just done (recorded myself and then bit crushed) and I'm working on pick up, walking on platform, exiting the level and other sounds. :)

deise said:
I should have a bunch of the sound effects done by Monday and other stuff will follow, the bird flaps are hard to get right (I'm using a blanket to make them). I have the enemy cries just done (recorded myself and then bit crushed) and I'm working on pick up, walking on platform, exiting the level and other sounds. :)

Great! i have also received 2 tracks from Nick May, and loads of the graphics from Bandito. So i'll have enough to do next couple of days.

@ Dragons_Slayer: Whatever you feel fits better, you are the artist, im just a humble coder ;)

But enough talk for now, time to get things implemented.

Cheers!!

Back