Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Man that mock-up looks great !

What's really important I guess is that the graphic style in whole game matches. If the in-game graphic can be made in a similar style as what you posted it would be quite impressive.
That graphic should also depends of what the creator of the game intended I guess. Your graphic somehow feel a lok "darker".

marshal said:
What's really important I guess is that the graphic style in whole game matches. If the in-game graphic can be made in a similar style as what you posted it would be quite impressive.
That graphic should also depends of what the creator of the game intended I guess. Your graphic somehow feel a lok "darker".

You really hit the nail on the head, that's why I was hesitant to make such a drastic change without first talking it through with marko.

oh well, when I start a project, it FLIES. Wherever the art takes me, that's where I go.

EDIT:Also, Marko

What I really need is a .zip of all the sprites and backgrounds currently being used, so I have an idea of exactly what has to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
To repeat some of the former posters: WOW :eek: That does look amazing

As you stated yourself, the styles need to match. And it does seem a bit darker/more photo realistic than the stuff i allready have. I can change allmost anything, but i really like the style of the birds Dragons_slayer drew, and the rest of the enemies will follow that style.

Anyway, my thoughts:

* I absolutely love the menu with the signs hangin on chains. Croocked quit button: awesome. Lighting effects would be cool. I'd also like to know what font that is, i want to try how it fits in the game. One note, maybe a slight colour change for the font to match the rest of the game. It has a tad more colour.

* The black bird in the distance looks good (Top left, outline? not sure about the english term). Some of those flying through the background of the game would be awesome!!! :D

* The Mountain and the Lake are great, but i doubt they fit very well with the game style. Might be a bit too photo realistic.

If this is done with two separate images that cycle based on cursor position, I will be able to easily provide mouseover images whenever you need them.

I am not sure what image types can work with whatever magical programming gobbledygook you work with, so I really need more info from you before we can churn out a finished product. If animated .GIFs are a viable format, I can make rudimentary glow animations for the text and a few other niceties that will look amazing in the finished product

Currently it uses one file for the unselected menu items, and one for the selected one. But changing that is trivial. So what you have in mind will be (made) possible.

PNG is preferred as filetype, but Penjin, the framework that i use, can handle other filetypes as well. For the animations i currently just use frames pasted next to eachother (horizontally) in one file. The engine chops it up into frames again and animates it. Transparency is usually Magenta, but PNG transparency, and probably more formats are also supported.
The resolution is indeed 800x480

I'll send you a pm about the files you need, and maybe some more info later
I will divide the folders into what i want to keep (maybe usefull as reference?), and what is up for change (most ; )

And i'll try to get a hold of Dragons_slayer asap to see what he thinks (Or post here yourself D_s ;) )

Looking amazing so far, i hope we can get our minds lined up about the style!!

Cheers!

I'm glad .png is the preferred type, I prefer it myself

I use .jpg when posting them on here, for size reasons, but when they're on my hard drive, they're all .png

anyway, I'm looking forward to developing this with you.

Amigo Bandito Crujiente said:
I'm glad .png is the preferred type, I prefer it myself

I use .jpg when posting them on here, for size reasons, but when they're on my hard drive, they're all .png

anyway, I'm looking forward to developing this with you.

I think that this will be productive ;)

And: what Poke said, go Magenta if possible. He's the main framework wizard.

Cheers!

Very impressive Artwork. :) It is an Inspiring style, somehow between Lord of the Rings and World of Warcraft :D I wonder, in what direction this game will go.

marshal said:
Yupp, Photo-realisic maybe is to realistic, nothing beats old fasioned Pixel-Art. :D But I'm sure, the Artist is able to bring everything together to a fitting Style. I already can see many beautiful graphic Layers, Parallax-Overkill in the background. ^_^

The in-game backgrounds will be significantly less photo-realistic than the main menu, to fit the sprites that have already been made, as well as the spirit of the game.

Menus should always be eye catching. static images don't draw as much attention as moving ones, or fully animated gameplay. Because of this, static imagery must be more complex than animation to maintain viewer attention.

Conversely, a complex moving image can never be fully appreciated, and is best left in a simpler form.

fusion_power said:
Very impressive Artwork. :) It is an Inspiring style, somehow between Lord of the Rings and World of Warcraft :D I wonder, in what direction this game will go.

marshal said:
Yupp, Photo-realisic maybe is to realistic, nothing beats old fasioned Pixel-Art. :D But I'm sure, the Artist is able to bring everything together to a fitting Style. I already can see many beautiful graphic Layers, Parallax-Overkill in the background. ^_^

I think the style would fit perfectly with some modifications, pixel art is good'n'all but decent digital painting gives a much much better finish.

To an extent, I agree with you, butterman.

However, I have been working on this project now for barely 24 hours, It would be rude of me to ask Marko to start from scratch, which is what would would have to happen to get photorealistic graphics.

Panjoust is still young, there is plenty of opportunity for change and plenty of time to let it happen. I don't want to be the rogue artist that snatches the reins from the hands of the people who have already worked very hard on this game. It is predominately THEIR work that I am doing here, not my own.

Anyway, THIS...
2nhjgd2.jpg

Is curently how the graphics are looking on my end of the pipe. Ignore the magenta, I have close to no idea how to work with indexed .png, which I will have to pick up as I go

Both the clouds and the mountain will animate dynamically based on which direction you are traveling and there will be another mountain range, farther away, but that will take time.

From the sprites currently in my possession, it looks like marko has planned for both indoor(A castle :eek: ) and outdoor levels.

This is going to be awesome, but, artistically, I have only figured for the outdoor colorwork.

The three color pallets that will work best for the current set of sprites are the mountain one (best match)

A night sky might look like this
2en9v89.png

It will have animated clouds of course, maybe some star twinkle effects, hell if I know.

And a close match, although there would be some conflict, would be an very red equatorial sunrise like this
20934b7.png

Complete with animating banyan trees and other savanna shrubbery

Please note that most of this might not make it into development. If the poor people at Penjin had to code in everything that comes out of my brain, you guys would be waiting a LONG LOOOONG time for the final game.

Panjoust is going places.
Get on board.

To an extent, I agree with you, butterman.

However, I have been working on this project now for barely 24 hours, It would be rude of me to ask Marko to start from scratch, which is what would would have to happen to get photorealistic graphics.

Panjoust is going places.
Get on board.

Moar panjoust pls. Change 'falling' animation to be more gravity-accelerated, lower initial downward speed. Also suggest dropping the ambitious level plans for starters -- instead work to dial-in a really good Joust-style gameplay .

I'd sure like something like this for nokia n810 and n900. Was going to do it myself but why duplicate the work.

pupnik said:
Also suggest dropping the ambitious level plans for starters

That's probably wise, but what do you expect me to do? twiddle my thumbs while the rest of the guys have all the fun?

Though you are right, It would be a shame if I ended up burning myself out with my overachieving before I can actually help with the real work.

I've always been a bit of a dreamer, you'll have to forgive me.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and the new graphics makes me wan't to play it even more. Will there be any power-ups in the game?

Please note that most of this might not make it into development. If the poor people at Penjin had to code in everything that comes out of my brain, you guys would be waiting a LONG LOOOONG time for the final game.
Thanks for that consideration, but please if you have feature suggestions you can leave them on the Penjin GoogleCode page.

Also I haven't said so previously, but awesome work! This is why I love homebrew collaboration. :)

love it

love it

love it...

Don't hold back, allmost everything is possible. And if not, we'll make it work!!
Talking about work, have to go do some now, but ill be active tonight.

Cheers!!

Butterman said:
I think the style would fit perfectly with some modifications, pixel art is good'n'all but decent digital painting gives a much much better finish.
yupp, this image looks promising:
2nhjgd2.jpg

No "classic" pixel-Art in the background but also no Photo-realisitc style. :) Looks hand drawn like Bob Ross usualy did "Happy Little Clouds" and of course "Happy Little Mountains" :D
Very nice. ^^

Back