PandoraWiki updated to latest MediaWiki version

Argh! I should probably set the site to read only, install all needed Anti spam stuff, restore the database from before the spam session and them come back online...

Weird though, the scripts checks against blacklist servers, so if it removes proper links, the authors IP is blacklisted...?

Okay, made a completely fresh install, imported the database... everything looking good now.

Let me know if something doesn't work :)

Argh! I should probably set the site to read only, install all needed Anti spam stuff, restore the database from before the spam session and them come back online...

Weird though, the scripts checks against blacklist servers, so if it removes proper links, the authors IP is blacklisted...?

Maybe some malware on an editors pc?

Id assume he's running the maintenance scripts on the VPS... mediawiki doesn't need good automation because they've got a million monkeys on type writers to fix any mistakes or spam

Awww crap, it deleted my update to the Inside The Box page.... hmmmmm.... is it worth redoing? maybe, maybe not, we'll see

Awww crap, it deleted my update to the Inside The Box page.... hmmmmm.... is it worth redoing? maybe, maybe not, we'll see

I still got the old database, I can grab it from there and sent it to yu for re-submitting if it was a longer edit.

I still got the old database, I can grab it from there and sent it to yu for re-submitting if it was a longer edit.
Nar, that's probably more effort than retyping it :) Thanks anyway

Edit:

Is it possible to do something with header formatting? The text of the third level of headers (====== H3 ======) looks smaller than the regular text

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to do something with header formatting? The text of the third level of headers (====== H3 ======) looks smaller than the regular text

That's probably some CSS in the skin template... I'll check it.

Thanks for all efforts. I was passive on boards and wiki for some time due to summer, but i'll like to continue to clean up the german wiki from userpage spam if i've short time to waste. I still like wikis, but i've learned that fighting against spam manually is a pesky task. Nobody should need to do this. Anything for spam protection is welcome.

The search still finds those pages, perhaps apache is not redirecting URLs with multiple path elements to mediawiki or something?

Spam account

http://pandorawiki.o...ser_talk:Hunter

Still, much lower quantity than before ;)
Deleted that one.

Unfortunately, there still seem to be dozens of spam accounts a day being created:

http://pandorawiki.o...l:RecentChanges

They haven't made any edits yet, so perhaps they're being prevented by whatever ED's added - but really, it should not be possible for so many new bot accounts to be created, even if their attempted spam edits aren't getting through (yet).

The only question one is required to answer upon registration is "iPhone or Pandora?" This is extremely easy for a bot to answer - I think it's very likely that they're programmed to try answering with words from the question itself.

ED, please consider changing the question to the one I recommended. At the very least, the answer should NOT be one of the words in the question itself!

Here's the question I recommend for creating a new account:

Type in "pandora" but replace the first letter "a" with "@", replace the letter "o" with the number zero, and add a dash in between the third and fourth letters.
I've tried to specifically formulate it to make it difficult for a robot to simply parse the text and arrive at the right answer - at least for the current level of AI widely used in spambots - but not so difficult that a person couldn't figure it out.

By the way the list of software released on Pandora is not up to date anymore at all :)

http://pandorawiki.o...ftware_projects

I don't have time for this, but if anyone is willing...
I know, I know... I'm very busy working on my thesis this year, so it has really taken a backseat. I expect I'll get more involved again after I send my Pandora in for RMA (it's had the BTOD which has largely prevented me from using it, but I hadn't sent it in because I've also been having desktop computer issues, so I needed to have at least one computer around as a backup).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back