PandoraWiki updated to latest MediaWiki version

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As the topic says it, I just upgrade the Pandora Wiki to the latest MediaWiki version.

It was quite a hassle since they updated skinning system, thumbnailing, etc., but I think I fixed most of the errors and it seems to work okay so far.

Please test if everything is okay or still missing.

In worst case, I can also revert to the old version, but I'd rather keep up-to-date :)

Thanks ED, but from what I can see it hasn't helped with the spam problem.

The question when one registers has to be something that a robot cannot answer; currently it's just a simple math question, so we're getting constant registration of bot accounts.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find instructions on how to manually change that question. Perhaps this is the right tool, but I'm not sure:

http://www.mediawiki...mUserCreateForm

EDIT: Also, after logging out I too am unable to log back in again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to take my mediawiki down from my site. It got completely infested with spambots, by the time i realized there was a problem I had over 2000 registered bots.

They even got past the captia so I took it down until I found a solution

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Screenshot_at_2012_09_10_18_53_03.png

Ah, my cache had the images, so it showed fine for me.

Hrrrm... using fcgid for php makes thumbnails unusable, using apache_mod for php makes sessions unusable.

What the heck did they do with the latest version of MediaWiki?

Worked fine with an earlier one :/

Installed all kinds of spam-fighting tools now (incl. live blacklists, etc.), now I need to remove all these pages they created.

Thumbnails stopped working again though I haven't done anything... MediaWiki is pretty broken, if you ask me.

Mediawiki is fine.. It's just popular which means if you keep the install vanilla, you're going to have every script kiddy scanning you :)

same as wordpress, it's pretty much a remote shell with a blogging 0day.

but, Mediawiki is fine with restrictions and some modules....

Back