Pandora Scheduled In August Right...

idjit626

Well see my birthday is August 17th so somebody has to buy me one.

Also so this is not useless as f**k can STEAM run in LINUX? It would be cool to play Team Fortress classic on the run. =P

Cus it has a full USB port, get one of those [WIRELESS SP'S NAME HERE] USB receivers to use! Right?

If you're asking if you can play TFC and get WiFi with a USB receiver then
2398353507_4cf5bef04b.jpg

Must... not... facepalm.

Alright, the latest information we have is that preorders will start sometime in August, though we don't know exactly when. A while ago, Craig said that preorders would be approximately 4 weeks before the Pandora was released, so assuming that is still correct, that puts release sometime in September.

No, Steam cannot run in linux. It is Windows only; it's hard enough trying to get them to do an x86 linux port of Steam and GoldSrc/Source engine games. Chances are a linux armel port of Steam will happen shortly after GNU Hurd can play Duke Nukem Forever on the Pandora.

Also, I think he meant wireless as in a cellular provider's USB reciever. My understanding is not all of them have linux drivers. Try it on a linux desktop computer, if it works, it will probably (not definitely) work with the Pandora.

BigTruck said:
Must... not... facepalm.

Alright, the latest information we have is that preorders will start sometime in August, though we don't know exactly when. A while ago, Craig said that preorders would be approximately 4 weeks before the Pandora was released, so assuming that is still correct, that puts release sometime in September.

No, Steam cannot run in linux. It is Windows only; it's hard enough trying to get them to do an x86 linux port of Steam and GoldSrc/Source engine games. Chances are a linux armel port of Steam will happen shortly after GNU Hurd can play Duke Nukem Forever on the Pandora.

Also, I think he meant wireless as in a cellular provider's USB reciever. My understanding is not all of them have linux drivers. Try it on a linux desktop computer, if it works, it will probably (not definitely) work with the Pandora.
Steam can run in WINE, very well I might add. Regardless of that, Pandora is arm and WINE is windows virtualisation... I would think it's heavily tied down to x86 only code.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant natively. I guess "very well" is open to interpretation. Steam community has been broken in WINE for how long now? Also, I get approximately 10 fps in source-based games with WINE (though I never really spent too much effort setting it up properly). Yes, it is x86 only, and as such will never run on the Pandora.

The preorder to shipment will also depend on leadtimes on some parts, this can vary from month to month from 4 to 8 weeks. At the moment it would be about 6 weeks.

But as we have said before we won't take preorders until we are ready, we try not to work towards dates, more towards goals in making things as perfect as they can be. I hope not in a duke forever way though :)

craigix said:
I hope not in a duke forever way though
Too late.

Very reassuring, too, btw - the head cheese doesn't have a clue when it's going to be released - and has to "hope" about the release date.

The N810 is selling for $299 now, btw.

when can we start porting stuff, are there some sample apps/libraries etc. or are we all expected to use SDL (yuk :)) ? I assume it uses OpenGLES ?

chad78 said:
craigix said:
I hope not in a duke forever way though
Too late.

Very reassuring, too, btw - the head cheese doesn't have a clue when it's going to be released - and has to "hope" about the release date.

The N810 is selling for $299 now, btw.
Nice trolling post. Is this going to be your new MO?

Chad has been a troll on these boards ever since he caught wind that the Pandora existed. He moans about everything!

Please go and buy Nokia's latest Internet Tablet and take your trolling to the respective nokia board.

x68000 said:
Chad has been a troll on these boards ever since he caught wind that the Pandora existed. He moans about everything!

Please go and buy Nokia's latest Internet Tablet and take your trolling to the respective nokia board.
+1

Thanks for the report people, Chad's just got another 12 hour ban for his trouble. I'm not going to edit his post this time as it's already been quoted by others (plus it's probably better left alone for the justification/logs).

12 hours is too short a time imo!

don't mean to be unkind but has anyone seen some of Chad's youtube videos about gadgets and what-not... watch a couple of them and you'll see why his posts are so irritating to read: he's precisely the same in real life!

If this post is anything to go by he might go over to beagle board, which, according to Chad78, the Pandora is based on. :lol:

Luckily some fella called 'Craig' put him right.

Anyway, I guess if we end up with the 8 week time frame we won't have to choose between GUI/firmware and emulators - there'll be time for both. Every cloud, etc.

Good lord... he's already spamming the poor Beagle Board folks to build the UMPC/tablet of his dreams!

And it's comical that he's telling them about Pandora - I'm pretty sure they KNOW about the Pandora long ago! :p

What is going on with that cat man. All the stuff he did could was trolling, but to a nominal effect, and now his douche-like actions are becoming more apparent to me.

@chad- dude... take a chill pill man, I saw your videos, I understand your views that you expressed in them. You have brought some good ideas to this community, and you done some stuff that I for one appreciate, that people haven't noticed they paid attention they would. At the same time, you know you cant go around here attacking the a mod just because you felt you have been wronged. If I start a topic that I felt was important to me, and it got modified/erased mysteriously; I would check and see if my topic was in the right places, if so, asked the mods civilly. As much as it's not cool for someone to completely erase threads without identifying themselves and saying why; it's not cool going around calling some of the mods cowards.

Please just chill out and be a little more respectful (just a little) and let this be your last ban that you get. If I didn't think positively of you in regards to what you can bring to this forum, then I wouldn't take two minutes of my life to write this.

Thanks,

-Game_Over

Game_over said:
What is going on with that cat man. All the stuff he did could was trolling, but to a nominal effect, and now his douche-like actions are becoming more apparent to me.

@chad- dude... take a chill pill man, I saw your videos, I understand your views that you expressed in them. You have brought some good ideas to this community, and you done some stuff that I for one appreciate, that people haven't noticed they paid attention they would. At the same time, you know you cant go around here attacking the a mod just because you felt you have been wronged. If I start a topic that I felt was important to me, and it got modified/erased mysteriously; I would check and see if my topic was in the right places, if so, asked the mods civilly. As much as it's not cool for someone to completely erase threads without identifying themselves and saying why; it's not cool going around calling some of the mods cowards.

Please just chill out and be a little more respectful (just a little) and let this be your last ban that you get. If I didn't think positively of you in regards to what you can bring to this forum, then I wouldn't take two minutes of my life to write this.

Thanks,

-Game_Over
Nice :D

Chad needs to stick to consumer goods. He's only involved in this place (and now the poor Beagle Board scene) because he knows enough to spot a cool gadget, and has the internet to spout his grandiose ideas and opinions and MAKE EVERYONE LISTEN. But he doesn't give a shit where Pandora has come from. He doesn't understand that this is a community, not a wishlist or a soapbox.

Stick to your blog Chad, that's what they're for. In the meantime, I'm going to check if this board has an ignore function, and I'm going to use it. Because I'm sick of your name and I'm sick of your fucking attitude.

Gruso has just hit the nail on the head!

I for one am fed up of 'Chod'78s holier than thou attitude and complete lack of understanding as to what the Pandora is actually all about..

If you find that ignore function, let me know how to add it so i don't need to listen to any more of his tiresome trolling.

Back