Just Bought A New External Hdd, Will It Work On Pandora?

Jackreyes

Still Fresh
This isn't a question about linux drivers as I imagine it should be Plug-n-Play.
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/LG+XD2+2.5%22+500GB+USB+HDD+-+Black+?productId=35844
It says it requires 2 USB ports for power, and it has both connectors on the wire, but on my laptop, it works perfectly fine with just one.
So my question is, is it likely to work easily on Pandora?
For example, will it just run on one USB port, or.. would buying a USB splitter be a possible solution?

And finally, I am right to assume it shouldn't need any specific drivers?

Thanks (and sorry if this is something I perhaps should have already known)
Jack

The Pandora may not spit out enough power on the single port to run it. It may, but I wouldn't count on it. If it doesn't, splitting it to take advantage of power on the OTG port probably won't help any, since the OTG is a lower power port anyway.
But assuming it does work, it should work with no driver issues. It's just an external storage device, no problem there.
Your only problem is power: it will just eat your batteries.

The dual usb cable for power is a red flag. The enclosure expects that it might need more than 500mAh that a single usb port might be able to deliver. It might work, but I wouldn't count on it. I found at a bagin basement store a powerpack for usb that takes 4 rechargeable AA batteries, to supply extra power to USB devices like drive enclosures and such. Personally, I made sure to get a 1.8" drive enclosure. The smaller drive doesn't need as much power to spin up and keep going.

It is possible that your laptop can provide 'extra' power over the USB lead. I had a laptop and desktop that could power an external hard drive at one point. Not sure in Pandora will be able to or not.

As the drive got more worn in (worn out?) it started requiring the 2 connectors full time. Bizzare.

mindlord said:
The dual usb cable for power is a red flag. The enclosure expects that it might need more than 500mAh that a single usb port might be able to deliver. It might work, but I wouldn't count on it. I found at a bagin basement store a powerpack for usb that takes 4 rechargeable AA batteries, to supply extra power to USB devices like drive enclosures and such. Personally, I made sure to get a 1.8" drive enclosure. The smaller drive doesn't need as much power to spin up and keep going.

Would anyone be kind enough to link me to such a battery powered USB hub, I can't seem to find one that is cheap, or pre-assembled.

Thanks for the 3 quick replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The laptop will only be supplying 500mA per port, same as the Pandora, so technically there is no reason why if it works from 1 port on the Laptop that it shouldn't work on the Pandora (because you'd be doing exactly the same thing).

The laptop is only guaranteed to supply up to 500mA, there's no reason it can't go outside of spec and supply more if the device requests it. The device has to be clever and know not to expect it, but there's no (or shouldn't be any) harm in trying. A standard computer, even a laptop, can probably handle load spikes in excess of 500 mA with little difficulty, whereas the Pandora might just kill the circuit. I think I remember someone saying it could handle load spikes up to 750 mA however, so who can tell. The only way you'll know whether it works or not is to try it.

My laptop doesn't seem to have any USB power control. Your supposed to only draw upto 100mA from a USB port until you have communicated to the host that you want more, and then the maximum increases to 500mA or whatever the host budgets for the connection. My laptop will happily give over an amp (>1000mA) even in standby when the USB host isn't even active! (Although it does of course kill the power to all USBs when in hibernation or just plain 'off')

I also have a PC at work that just resets if you plug the same into it.

So the end result is: It may work, it may not. If you have bought the hd already just try it. You've got nothing to lose. Its not going to damage anything.

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll tell you all the results in.. well... 2 months I guess.
If it doesn't work, I'll get a battery thing, its no big deal really, I was only going to use it for trips where I'd need a large amount of TV programmes or Films to watch to keep me entertained.

I have a similar one that runs off of a USB port. Mine has a socket for an AC adapter (which it didn't come with). Expect decreased battery life.

I strongly suggest investing in a big fat 32GB SD card or two instead. It would be money better spent.

32 GB = ~46 movies or ~92 hour long episodes of TV or ~187 1/2 hour episodes... I mean seriously, how much "entertainment" do you have to carry with you?

If it weren't for my music collection (which is obscenely large and needs to be pruned) I'd have a hard time filling up my 30GB portable HD as it is.

Back