Pandora Pandora Panic

Very nice! Looks and sounds great! Now all we need is a truckload of minigames :). BTW is there an easy way to generate a makefile for quick coding without the Code::blocks? I'd like to tinker with the engine (maybe even make a minigame or two, if time allows), but I'd rather not install an umpteenth IDE just for this project.

EDIT: This is based on a version I downloaded about a month or so ago. There seemed to be no easy way to compile the project without Code::blocks.

Sorry... I'm not a makefile guy... I know they are useful, however.
Basically you have to make the Penjin3D Base source appear to be in the same directory as the PandoraPanic source.
You'll need SDL, SDL_Image, mixer, gfx, ttf too. I hope that helps, either for setting up your own IDE or creating a makefile.

I spy with my little eye: problems beginning with case-sensitive file names. Some includes, such as (random example): "StatePunchWrestler.h:19:33: error: trabitboy/AgroState.h: No such file or directory" try to include files with filenames in wrong case. The file name most likely intended is "trabitboy/agroState.h".

Coding in windows, I presume? ;)

B-ZaR said:
I spy with my little eye: problems beginning with case-sensitive file names. Some includes, such as (random example): "StatePunchWrestler.h:19:33: error: trabitboy/AgroState.h: No such file or directory" try to include files with filenames in wrong case. The file name most likely intended is "trabitboy/agroState.h".

Coding in windows, I presume? ;)
Yes currently :lol: I don't know how many times I've corrected the case of those files... they keep creeping back :rolleyes:

I have a problem in Ubuntu with overscan I haven't fixed yet, so I've been spending more time in MS Town.
I'll correct it AGAIN in my local copy. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I haven't read through this whole thread yet, (for some reason neglected it for a while), but I still plan on contributing some music/sounds for this. I'll catch up on reading and finish up some of the stuff I started.

I've been given access to the SVN so i posted all updates there directly, but work is still in progress ;)

PanJoust has been polished more, platforms now closer resemble the original in position, i removed the timer completely and replaced that with an invincible, very fast bird that comes into play when you don't hurry up, also more like the original.

Also some minor framework changes, currently working on an easy way to pause all games without changing too much of their original code.

Keymapping on the Pandora!!! This should help in getting things ready right?

Pandora Keymappings

edit: Hmm, looking into it, i should also activate the pause on lid switch. probably just as fast to pause that way *SNAP (watch your fingers ; )

MDave said:
Wouldn't it be better to use the handy sleep mode (like psp and ds) when closing the lid? ;) although that is probably your intention anyway :p
Wel yes ofcourse that was the intention all along!!! (sure, it was, really!!!) ;)

that's the weird thing for me, trying to develop with very limited experience on a device that does not even exist yet :blink: Also never owned a (handheld) console either

but thanks anyway!

Edit: Think we have to pause anyway. With some of the games the pace is so fast you'd be dead before the lid was fully open. hmmm

MarkoeZ said:
MDave said:
Wouldn't it be better to use the handy sleep mode (like psp and ds) when closing the lid? ;) although that is probably your intention anyway :p
Wel yes ofcourse that was the intention all along!!! (sure, it was, really!!!) ;)

that's the weird thing for me, trying to develop with very limited experience on a device that does not even exist yet :blink: Also never owned a (handheld) console either

but thanks anyway!

Edit: Think we have to pause anyway. With some of the games the pace is so fast you'd be dead before the lid was fully open. hmmm

Sleep mode should be active on lid close anyway, I think... Regardless we need to know more about what's available to us, and also it's a good idea to pause the game.

Good find on the keys... we can use these now, if they change, we can update later... now all that's needed is actual SDL libs ;)

OK I think it's time for a status update.
  • Credits screen is very nearly ready, we have a nice fireworks display and the credits fade out. I want to try a funky extra effect though.
  • Bugs have been fixed on the TitleScreen with the scaling of the logo.
  • A menu input bug has also been fixed which has improved performance a little too.
  • The Pandora key-mappings have been added to SimpleJoy class
So to summarise what's remaining:
  • MOAR GAMEZ! - more mini-games is a good thing
  • Credits listing - I want to make sure everyone involved is mentioned, please post here with a summary of what you contributed, or add yourself on the wiki, or both.
  • PandoraSDL - we need the Pandora libs to be able to compile the program for Pandora
  • PXML file.
I also would like to hear suggestions on what license PandoraPanic! should be released under.

I also am wondering about the Vista screenshot in BadVista... can we keep that in if it's going to be on a CD bundled with the Pandora? I don't want to cause problems for ED, etc.

Anyway it looks like we have a good chance of making Pandora release day... thanks to the world's economy going down the toilet... well it has to be good for something! :lol:

I actually might have time to make a minigame or two in the coming weeks, if I get the framework to... work. I'm not promising anything. We'll see.

Getting Code::blocks to work properly with SDL etc can be a bit challenging, i agree ;)

If you have any questions or need help/files (on code::blocks, not programming ; ), don't hesitate to contact me,

Good luck!

B-ZaR said:
Very nice! Looks and sounds great! Now all we need is a truckload of minigames :). BTW is there an easy way to generate a makefile for quick coding without the Code::blocks? I'd like to tinker with the engine (maybe even make a minigame or two, if time allows), but I'd rather not install an umpteenth IDE just for this project.

EDIT: This is based on a version I downloaded about a month or so ago. There seemed to be no easy way to compile the project without Code::blocks.

MarkoeZ said:
Getting Code::blocks to work properly with SDL etc can be a bit challenging, i agree ;)

If you have any questions or need help/files (on code::blocks, not programming ; ), don't hesitate to contact me,

Good luck!
B-Zar wants to use a makefile from what I understand. :)

PokeParadox said:
B-ZaR said:

MarkoeZ said:

Good luck!
B-Zar wants to use a makefile from what I understand. :)

I'd like to use any IDE independent (preferably command-line) way of compiling the project. Makefile is a good example. However, I just might bend over and install code::blocks, if it's less of a hassle :)

Just a quick post since I should be sleeping!
I've done a new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLSDCNLGHEw

I'll probably do a better status update tomorrow and annotate the YT vid. But for now, good night!

EDIT: Now annotated. That will explain updates. :)

PokeParadox said:
I've done a new video
good job, wow its all coming together!

judging from what I can hear there, I think our different music tracks need volume matching so we don't have any unexpected stark contrasts in volume levels between the tunes. That's easy enough to fix :)

rooster said:
PokeParadox said:
I've done a new video
good job, wow its all coming together!

judging from what I can hear there, I think our different music tracks need volume matching so we don't have any unexpected stark contrasts in volume levels between the tunes. That's easy enough to fix :)

Yes, we might actually do this after all! :lol:

Care to give my ignorant ears some hints about what to adjust?

I just watched the video - wow, everything's looking really polished. :) PandoraPanic will definitely be on my main SD Card as soon as it's available. Excellent work, all of you.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen a video of this Game. Very nice. :) I've played Wario Ware a while ago and I know this kind of game can be very funny. I hope the Pandora will get many many Minigames for Pandora Panic. (can the games included like a module, a additional file etc... so you can easily download new content if another minigame is ready? )
Does Pandora Panic support the Microphone of the Device? I could imagine some funny things with this. :)

Back