Pandora Pandora Panic

PokeParadox said:
It looks a lot better already! :)
The enemies should also turn around... you could do a simple velocity check.

As for game play.... hmmm add walls or other obstructions... even random bouncing boxes... depending on how hard you want to make it.

Looking good.

I should have something to update relatively soon also.

Thanks for the feedback! i was mainly interested in how the hero moved. Since there are no negative comments on it, probably good then ;)

I'm not really sure if the birds should turn around, i tried playing the game with 7 birds, and that is hard enough without them coming after you on the x axis as well. But i will try and see how it works.

And i was thinking about adding platforms, especially in the later levels, but dunno if it needs to get much harder.

So back to coding and testing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you definitely would need to clearly distinguish the enemies from the player or it would get very confusing with many enemies...

Also a heads up that basically I have many shifts next week :(

I'm going to try my hardest to get things done... I almost have a score screen I'm happy with, so then it will be just the credits and checking each minigame can pause and all use a sensible keymap for the Pandora.... and checking for any memleaks and such.

There are a few things that anyone could help with, however:
We need a PXML file for this, so any takers for this would be appreciated.
The credits list needs to be finalised so if you have submitted something for PandoraPanic, however small, etc then I need to know about it.

Finally I need a 64x64 Pandora logo, if possible, again, anyone that can sort that out it would be rather smashing, old chap.

PokeParadox said:
Finally I need a 64x64 Pandora logo, if possible, again, anyone that can sort that out it would be rather smashing, old chap.
I don't know if you wanted a flashy/art kind of logo, but i quickly ripped this

pandora64x64ww6.png

small update on Panjoust: i now have platforms working as well, enemies also nicely change direction when hitting them. Starting to feel more ready for release.

The only thing is that somehow, with my tilesheet for the flying bird, the transparency is broken again, while we used the same colour as a background. :unsure:

Update on PanJoust

I found the problem i had with AnimatedSprite in my version of the framework, i included my adapted version of AnimatedSprite.h & .cpp, but dunno for sure if i did not exclude anything important. Everything seems to work though.

No video, but a screenshot of the latest version of PanJoust was possible. As said, nice platforms, graphics of those will be updated, working hard on that. Also, i just inverted the colour of the hero spritesheet for testing.

I also uploaded some images of other games to the Wiki, see my sig for the url.

panjoustqo3.png

Thanks for the updates! I'll integrate them right now!
Also thanks for the Pandora logo, hopefully I can make good use of it :)
It is shaping up nicely. I think it might be a nice project to extend outside of PandoraPanic! too!

I'll look over the changes to the AnimatedSprite class.

If I get a video done, it will be posted... there is no point reminding me, because I haven't forgot. Obviously I want people to see the game but right now, (with my current shifts/motivation left afterwards) actually getting it into a releasable state is more important.

Thanks for al the positive comments :) Still a lot of work needs to be done, but the basics are there.

It is shaping up nicely. I think it might be a nice project to extend outside of PandoraPanic! too!

I was allready considering that, especially after i've seen the graphics by Dragons_Slayer. that's why i kept the platforms and most oher things modular to allow easy changes later on.
But first of all this version needs to be cleaned up for release, after that, maybe...

Also i'm going to try making a PXML file, mostly for my own education. But since that is completely new to me, it might not hurt if somebody else tried that as well.

MarkoeZ said:
PokeParadox said:
I don't know if you wanted a flashy/art kind of logo, but i quickly ripped this [...]
For future reference, I long ago made a PDF version available on the Pandora Wiki page, so people can make whatever size they need.

Yamara said:
For future reference, I long ago made a PDF version available on the Pandora Wiki page, so people can make whatever size they need.

No offence, but why in PDF? gotta rip it out again then. Simple PNG or bitmap would have been easier IMO. But i'm no expert on pdf so there might be an easier way.

On the PXML stuff, i looked through the structure file and it should be really easy! so i'll take that on me. We just need a PandoraPanic icon. i'll try and make something, but if it goes as well as the birds... hmm, Anyone interested? ;)

MarkoeZ said:
Yamara said:

No offence, but why in PDF? gotta rip it out again then. Simple PNG or bitmap would have been easier IMO. But i'm no expert on pdf so there might be an easier way.

On the PXML stuff, i looked through the structure file and it should be really easy! so i'll take that on me. We just need a PandoraPanic icon. i'll try and make something, but if it goes as well as the birds... hmm, Anyone interested? ;)

Very very good I got PanJoust integrated now(Just in from work :lol:) I took a little glance at the code too. You could optimise it by making the enemies share the same AnimatedSprite object - Create a class or simply an array with all enemies positions and valocities and then you run through this info at render time and place the sprite at that position and render it, you can use a loop. It saves some RAM... although I think you are pretty much ok in this mini game but it would be less images loaded, a good tip to remember.
One disadvantage is that all enemies would be on the same frame of animation at any one time, but it's still useful to know nonetheless.

Very very good I got PanJoust integrated now(Just in from work :lol:) I took a little glance at the code too. You could optimise it by making the enemies share the same AnimatedSprite object - Create a class or simply an array with all enemies positions and valocities and then you run through this info at render time and place the sprite at that position and render it, you can use a loop. It saves some RAM... although I think you are pretty much ok in this mini game but it would be less images loaded, a good tip to remember.
One disadvantage is that all enemies would be on the same frame of animation at any one time, but it's still useful to know nonetheless.

Yeah, i know the code is a mess :rolleyes: the problem is that it just evolved on me. I've been watching the cpp video's on 3dbuzz and they were very helpful, so i was thinking about implementing more classes etc to make things more organised. Probably not before the PandoraPanic! lauch though, unless the ram usage will be a problem (can't image with 5Kb spritesheets ; )

Since you mentioned the difference in movement, is it possible to make every enemy start on a different frame? i looked through the animated sprite class but could not find it.

But again thanks for the tips, i will certainly try them. Next project will be more organised ;)

Edit: hmm, then maybe it would be possible to give every enemy a framenumber in the class and update that, and draw the corresponding frame of the animation on the screen?

Yes that's possible too. It could actually just be a frame offset so you only keep track of one framerate and just offset the frames of the enemies.

There is a function to set the framenumber but I don't know right if it's on the AnimatedSprite class... if not I can add it no problem.

MarkoeZ said:
Yamara said:

PNG and bitmap are raster formats, which is to say they are images made up of pixels. While PDFs can embed those, this particular PDF contains a vectorized Pandora logo: an image described by points and the lines connecting them (to put it simply). Thus it can be scaled to any size without loss of quality.

I'm just anticipating those rabid fans who will want the logo plastered to a 20 foot wide wall, as well as those wanting an 8x8 pixel retro-gaming representation. :)

Joust is looking pretty spiffy. MarkoeZ, do you have anyone working on upgrading the platform graphics? If not I could probably throw together a quick set to replace what you have there. Let me know, I haven't flexed my pixeling skills in a while now. :)

PokeParadox: I made a function setCurrentFrame in (on?:unsure: ) the AnimatedSprite class, works perfect!

Yamara: I'm familiar with vector graphics, where i used them they used EPS for allmost al if them though, did not know PDF had that function as well, thanks for the info.

Eniko: Be my guest! this is a community dev thread after all ;) , all input is welcome!

MarkoeZ said:
PokeParadox: I made a function setCurrentFrame in (on?:unsure: ) the AnimatedSprite class, works perfect!
In is correct.

You are getting very good at tweaking/fixing my code :lol: Maybe you should become part of Pirate Games!
(Joking aside I'm looking for fellow homebrewers to help me maintain the code.)

PokeParadox said:
You are getting very good at tweaking/fixing my code :lol: Maybe you should become part of Pirate Games!
(Joking aside I'm looking for fellow homebrewers to help me maintain the code.)
I'm more than happy to help in any way possible. I'm getting familiar with the framework, and i will probably have a lot of time next couple of weeks (months?).

And maybe, one day, arrr matey ;)

Small edit/update: PanJoust has a background tune and wingflap sound fixed , DoubleNubTrouble a shot sound (online later)

Well Woo! I have an update! O_O
IMPORTANT: I have separated Penjin3D Base and PandoraPanic since it eliminates some redundancy (Penjin3D Base is not specific to PandoraPanic! It is my general game engine.). Both archives are needed!

Basically The score screen is what I would consider finished. With some nice motion blurring effects. And a starfield.
PanJoust has been integrated.
The alphablended background has been buffered and on my eeePC it runs a lot better than what it used to. Hopefully it will run this well or better on the Pandora

Of course bugs have been fixed, tweaks have been made etc too.
As usual you can find the updates on the Wiki

PenjinBase
PandoraPanicFramework
and the W32 build have all been updated.
Penjin3D Samples have NOT been updated!

Back