Pandora Pandora Panic

fusion_power said:
Wow, this is the first time I've seen a video of this Game. Very nice. :) I've played Wario Ware a while ago and I know this kind of game can be very funny. I hope the Pandora will get many many Minigames for Pandora Panic. (can the games included like a module, a additional file etc... so you can easily download new content if another minigame is ready? )
Does Pandora Panic support the Microphone of the Device? I could imagine some funny things with this. :)
Right now, additional games have to be compiled in. There have bee suggestions to either have monthly up dates with the latest updates, or to move to adding lua or similar scripting. The idea has always been to make a game and have it ready for launch so we've had to keep really focused on just that goal for the first release!
Once we pass release, we can think about to make mini-game creation even more accessible. :)

I had not even thought about the microphone! But yes we could have some fun ideas with that! It is something to look into, but right this moment, I have no clue how to access the mic in code.

PS Thanks for all the comments about the latest video! A lot of effort has been put in by the people in this thread. It's a great motivator to get feedback like this. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
I had not even thought about the microphone! But yes we could have some fun ideas with that! It is something to look into, but right this moment, I have no clue how to access the mic in code.
I'm sure, MWeston can tell you. I imagine some kind of game, where you blow into the mic and you blow dust off a surface onto the screen (particle effects?) to see the word underneeth, this word has to type as fast as possible.

There also could be games with Stylus usage, wipe the scren clean as fast as possible or such things. ^_^

PokeParadox said:
PS Thanks for all the comments about the latest video! A lot of effort has been put in by the people in this thread. It's a great motivator to get feedback like this. B)
Next time, maybe you should use a tripod? ;)

just bumping the topic letting you know that work is still in progress ;) Panjoust is just about finished, walking animation has been done and lots of small tweaks/bugfixes.

I'm currently working on a new MiniGame. It's going to be a platform jump kind of thing. (STILL VERY) basic lvl editor to make lvl's works in principle, also nicely loaded into the game, and you can jump away. So basically the mechanics are working. now working on some objectives so that you can actually finish the game with a win ;)

PokeParadox is also brewing something but that's up to him to disclose.

More games are still welcome ofcourse!

Edit2: Oh and the everlasting programmers problem: art... Once again i could use some. just a jumping guy or something. Anything that jumps would do actually so im open to crazy suggestions ;)

Edit: Grammer/spelling

MarkoeZ said:
I'm currently working on a new MiniGame.
MarkoeZ, you are a game-writing MACHINE! The early version of panJoust I saw was already VERY impressive. Were you already fluent in C++, just waiting for the right framework? :)

--Todd

todd said:
MarkoeZ said:
MarkoeZ, you are a game-writing MACHINE! The early version of panJoust I saw was already VERY impressive. Were you already fluent in C++, just waiting for the right framework? :)

--Todd

rofl, the last programming i did before PandoraPanic was in GFA-Basic on the atari back in 1990/91 ;)

Just a newb with a lot of drive, the Pandora is allready worth it's money in experience for me, and i don't even have it yet :p

Edit: actually you can see the advancement in my programming very easily, going from distractedmath, via nubtrouble, to joust. The code tells it even more ;)

fusion_power said:
There also could be games with Stylus usage, wipe the scren clean as fast as possible or such things. ^_^
<snip>
Next time, maybe you should use a tripod? ;)
I've had a few ideas how we could use the Stylus... I hope to use it for my next minigame.

I would use a tripod if I had one... sadly I don't...

MarkoeZ said:
PokeParadox is also brewing something but that's up to him to disclose.
Ha ha, all will become clear once I finish replying to these posts!

todd said:
MarkoeZ said:

Indeed, I was most impressed by the... um efficiency which the games get finished also! :huh:
MACHINE is right! :ph34r:

Todd: I need you to check out the YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EJSyxIxJ4
Basically just have about if your minigame needs changing a little from the comments. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the actual Vista screenshot that is used(I know the text is edited) just want your thoughts on this is all.

Updates: Latest DevBlog post!
in summary:
I am working on a minigame,
PandoraPanic! is shaping up well and
MarkoeZ is a Pirate, Yaaaarrrgh!

PokeParadox said:
Todd: I need you to check out the YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EJSyxIxJ4
Basically just have about if your minigame needs changing a little from the comments. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the actual Vista screenshot that is used(I know the text is edited) just want your thoughts on this is all.

Hey Poke,

I watched the video & wondered if I'd missed your reference. Exciting video to watch, by the way. Wow.

Except that Panic Attack. Boring-est graphics EVER! TheBrainSquid is working on some graphics for me for the buttons. But I'd really like a real background. (HINT, HINT -- any graphic artists out there: this is my third petition (at least!)))

Later I went back & found the comments:

1337is1337 (2 weeks ago)
I can't wait to play this!

Bad Vista game was epic.

Woo-woo! Positive feedback. That's fun. Epic!

JayFoxRox (6 days ago)
I think the game shouldn't rant against any specific OS or anything and it shouldn't be used for advertising any web-page or something. Its include to advertise the Pandora itself, but I wouldn't want to hear anythign about other products in there - I wish that this game will be changed before release
-----------------
Probably because most linux people don't like vista, I also use this logo on my homepage, yet I wouldn't place it in any of my games - because it kinda ruins it. Making fun of real companies in such a way is not the best thing because not everyone will like it (some companies get it right tho, making it fun, even for fans of the original) and the game should be in its own "universe".
But as you said, that might be only me ;)

OK. A very thoughtful, non-ranty criticism. My compliments to JayFoxRox on his careful tone.

I think the BadVista game is relatively useless itself. Not a ton of fun. But that logo was the inspiration and also the joke. I crack myself up. :D

I'm not stuck on the game. I don't mind if you want to remove it entirely. I don't mind if you want me to change the graphics (use a basketball instead). It would just be my sad little private joke.

OTOH, the Pandora DOES run Linux. And the game is meant in good fun. I haven't run Windows at home in many years, but I don't jump on people who do. I'm hesitant to encourage family to move away from Windows -- because they can find support for Windows. If they switch to Linux, they'll be calling me. (Now I tell them, "I don't do windows"! :p )

And, furthermore, it's not like Badvista.com (or whatever is the URL) is trying to sell anything at all. It's more like a public service announcement than anything. The reasons why Vista is bad are basically the same reasons why I recently retired my OS X machine and plan to install Linux on it as well. (Well, that and the optical drive was going bad...). It's about privacy and the ability to administer one's own hardware without nosy corporate overlords. Or, as RMS would put it, freedom.

But all this is to say... I hear JayFoxRox. I can sympathize with his point of view. But I don't share it. I prefer the game the way it is. It still cracks me up.

Also to say I'm open to your judgment, PokeParadox, as you have been the driving force behind Pandora Panic. I invite you to do as you think best: I'm cool with it.

Re: the screenshot, it's a legitimate question. If I'm running a Windows OS and I take a screenshot of my own desktop, does the copyright to that image belong to Microsoft? Sticky question. Ultimately, I think Fair Use should cover us, ESPECIALLY since this game is not for sale. That screen is, very much, the expression of a political opinion, probably protected as free speech in the US. Though I realize the scope of the Pandora is greater than the US. So I think 1) we're small potatoes, MS should never mess with us. 2) We're not selling this software for gain: indeed, it shares only the name (and the window size!) with the Pandora hardware. It already runs on other platforms. 3) It's fair use, art, political speech, etc. I'm positive I've seen other spoofs on Windows like this. Interactive ones. There's prior art that went unsued.

Again -- I defer to your judgment. If you ask me, I like the joke and would leave it in.

-------------------

In other news, I think I mentioned earlier, but I'll repeat in case you're interested. :) I very much prefer the game NOT move on to a different minigame when you lose. How else will you practice the game and work through it? BadVista's particularly bad about this. I think of other games like Sokoban and, well, nearly anything, that require you master one level before you move to the next.

-------------------

Thanks again for all your hard work. I hope PandoraPanic turns out to be a major positive piece of your portfolio in future job searches. Kudos to MarkoeZ, too, for stepping up to the plate both in games and in the toolkit. I appreciate both your efforts and the fact that you have enabled me to make my own little (tongue in cheek) contributions to the world of Pandora software.

--Todd

Should the "__declspec(deprecated)" bits work without any fuss? I haven't seen them before and most google search results were specific to microsoft stuff. When I try to build the project (with code::blocks), I just get compile errors like:

TextHandler.h|64|error: ‘deprecated’ has not been declared
TextHandler.h|64|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘__declspec’ with no type

Any ideas?

Rocket Escape, early preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINNR3irMuQ

Managed to get the thrusters to be positioned in the right place. It uses a lookup table and Brads, so it's very fast. :D

heyhey, video day ;)

because i used a software capture there is no sound, the framerate is a bit too high and someskipped frames. So the gameplay looks a bit weird, but they play quite well actually so i thought i'd post it anyway. also too late here to fix the minor bugs in jumper and tile editor today ;)

Anyway, the allmost-final version of joust and the first very rough 1st version of jumper + the editor since i had them working

Edit 2: corrected the minor tile collision bugs in jumper, really smooth now :)

edit: Clarifications and spelling

MarkoeZ said:
Anyway, the allmost-final version of joust and the first very rough 1st version of jumper + the editor since i had them working
I love Joust, and I love how the game looks. I'm concerned that Joust still gets some action being repackaged in "Classic Arcade" bundle games for things like the PSP and such, and thus someone might ask you to cease and desist. Maybe you could change the (beautiful) graphics to be a different idea from the riding-bird on cave platforms. Perhaps some others have ideas on what might work in that regard.

I'd love to see a standalone Joust, with multiplayer support. Four (or eight!) people jousting off the TV with wireless remotes sounds like fun.

Yamara said:
MarkoeZ said:
I love Joust, and I love how the game looks. I'm concerned that Joust still gets some action being repackaged in "Classic Arcade" bundle games for things like the PSP and such, and thus someone might ask you to cease and desist. Maybe you could change the (beautiful) graphics to be a different idea from the riding-bird on cave platforms. Perhaps some others have ideas on what might work in that regard.

I'd love to see a standalone Joust, with multiplayer support. Four (or eight!) people jousting off the TV with wireless remotes sounds like fun.
Hmm. I doubt if "they" will take action against such a fan based small project, on such a device. It's not like i'm stealing customers from their game. The graphics are original so i don't thinks anything can be done against those, also the gameplay is different, there are no eggs and stuff. Bouncing on top of thing to kill them has been done a million times since mario (and before probably) I can really only see problems with the name, which i will change if there are comments about it.

And there will almost certainly be a standalone version of PanJoust after PandoraPanic is released, and multiplayer is one of my things to-do ;)

There is another vid on my youtube btw. Thought i took care of the frameskips, but did not. It shows a later level though. And shows another bug later in the vid, but that's fixed again ;)

I'm off for now, small video update. Tiles moving horizontally is just copy/paste in the code, as is implementation in the level editor.

Those features and enemies/obstacles coming tomorrow :)

Cheers!

What's the current situation with music? I know Pat is on board (big thumbs up there) but does that cover all requirements? Is there a separate need for mini-game specific music?

I ask because I've decided to get back into making music (and it will be my first foray into digital production). I've purchased some gear and should be set up in a week or so, then the learning curve begins. I won't be doing orchestral scores any time soon, but I know I'll be able to throw together some sample/loop based stuff reasonably quickly.

DoubleNubTrouble could certainly use some happy music :) And for my latest game in progress, jumper, a friend of mine is trying some stuff, but i don't know if he'll have it ready in time so input is welcome.

DistractedMath allready has the amazing tune by rooster, and i fabricated some background sounds for joust myself that i really think sets the mood right so they are ok.

Those are my games. When i think further, Spaceinvaders could probably use music, and maybe balldrop some sounds (it's too short for real music). Perhaps spellingcontest? i think the rest is cool with sounds but please correct me if someone feels different ;)

Edit: b.t.w, my avatar is a concept of the main char for jumper that someone is working on

That jumper game looks cool, I've got a one week break for school so I will be able to complete all of the spites for panjoust, maybe even some music for it, I thought of a simple bass rhythm, I don't know, what you guys think...

Dragons_Slayer said:
That jumper game looks cool, I've got a one week break for school so I will be able to complete all of the spites for panjaust, maybe even some music for it, I thought of a simple bass rhythm, I don't know, what you guys think...
Thanks!

Sprites!! :D the enemies could use some walking, the platforms need work, and the evil invincible fast bird could use a different sprite (3/4 frames would be enough with that speed) ;)

About the music for Jaust (name issue...) i've made something allready, very basic fruityloop thingy, but with the gamesounds added, it sounds pretty cool and in the right mood. But if you produce something in the same theme that's good, i'll certainly consider it.

Edit: spelling AND: thanks ofcourse for your work up till now :)

Edit2: jumper: Tiletype can now be set in the editor. Still, moving up,down or left,right, 2 different start points for tiles possible, more coming. Enemies/obstacles are easy to implement now so coming soon.

Back