Pandora Pandora Panic

Yeah definitely go for the pad. It will be a LOT easier to tweak your game when you can twiddle your own nobs... erm nubs.
:D

But seriously, thanks. I think those vectors will be used a lot in the future. Also the keeping the targets on screen might be a nice feature with faster moving targets, i can image you loosing them in the void ;). Lastly i can't tell you how exciting it is that the first things i programmed (beside some GFA basic on the Atari st back in the days) are actually going to be released and played :)

Good luck next week then, i've worked in bars/restaurants, i know those shifts...

Edit: I've sent a pm with my e-mail

PokeParadox said:
Hmmm I'm having trouble extracting the file. I downloaded it a few times to make sure. Any chance you could email me just the changed source files? MY_BOARD_NAME at gmail.com

Anyone else having trouble with it, or did everyone miss that it was posted.?
Hey Poke,

I've uploaded a plain 7z archive. Part of what I fixed was capitalization of some filenames, etc. If this doesn't work for you, I'll run the diff's tonight and pick out the files.

--Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Positive feedback is always fun! Were you able, by any chance, to use a controller for it rather than the keyboard?

todd said:
Thanks! Positive feedback is always fun! Were you able, by any chance, to use a controller for it rather than the keyboard?
Nope not yet, I would either need to map to a specific model of joypad or write a keymapper. I want to do the second option, but it's taking time to sit down and plan/write it.
It's a lot easier to take guesses on which axis is which than button layouts. Some joy pads have very weird button maps... :lol:

Don't worry I do think with the Pandora controls the game will be very playable. (And the joypad mapping will come later... let's get this thing releasable first ;))

Another update on DoubleNubTrouble

It should move properly, but i had to break up the 2 simple functions for screen checking so i really could not tell :p(maybe there is another way, but i think this works) They do stay on screen now.

Also i finally found the way to fix the transparency, easy enough ofcource once i found it :rolleyes:

Levels are implemented as well so i think it could be a fairly final version.

If it could get a testrun it would be awesome but i can understand if you'd like to use your limited time on something else.

damn, blind programming is pretty exciting, good excercise as well ;)

But good to hear. Since i won't be of much use to the framework yet (just now did the concept of object oriented programming filter through, knowing is not doing ; ) i might take up another mini game.

Cheers!!

giovanni said:
Video?........... Christmas present for the comunity;)
I did actually try to do a video (just now!) but since PandoraPanic! uses SDL you can't just use Fraps... I managed to get camstudio to capture the window with sound... but I can't get a decent framerate out of it :/
Sorry! Merry Christmas? :lol:

EDIT: If you know of a better program for SDL video capture then I'm all ears!

Once i get to my home pc i´ll install my tv card and try to link the video out of my pc back into the input if the tv (video in) card. That should work, not sure about image quality or sound then though. (hmmm, if i link the sound output back into....) Anyway, I´ll let u know what happens ;)

I tried it, it records full speed, but in black and white. Can't seem to get my video card configured to output colour (i'm fairly certain it's the software composite/svideo switch but can't find the corresponding checkbox/option/whatever. yes i googled etc...)

Edit: dumb mistake ;)

PokeParadox said:
giovanni said:
Video?........... Christmas present for the comunity;)
I did actually try to do a video (just now!) but since PandoraPanic! uses SDL you can't just use Fraps... I managed to get camstudio to capture the window with sound... but I can't get a decent framerate out of it :/
Sorry! Merry Christmas? :lol:

EDIT: If you know of a better program for SDL video capture then I'm all ears!

I asked for videos because I don't know anything about SDL...... sorry ;)...

MarkoeZ said:
I tried it, it records full speed, but in black and white. Can't seem to get my video card configured to output colour (i'm fairly certain it's the software composite/svideo switch but can't find the corresponding checkbox/option/whatever. yes i googled etc...)

Edit: dumb mistake ;)
Black & White + fullspeed + colour screenshots is better than my stuttery mess or no video at all.

I do have a usb capture device though and tv-out... ifI have some time I'll about getting a cap.

I'd like to announce a new minigame in the making!

I was working with the birds from doublenub and it got me thinking about Joust for the Atari ST (dunno if that was the original, and i really don't care either, i liked it ; ).

So PanJoust is loosly based on it ( i'm not that original with naming :rolleyes: ). I allready have the basic gameplay working, that means, you can bounce on the other birds heads, and they die :)

I did not want to put it up yet since the artwork needs to be done (re-used the bird, and also a background from DistractedMaths) and level implementation is not there yet, but it thought i'd give an update anyway.

I feel almost like spamming, 50% of the posts are mine on this page :rolleyes:

But the first public version of PanJoust is UPLOADED

I'm quite happy with how it feels but i'm open to any suggestions. Levels are implemented, each 10 lvls or so, one more bird and a (small) timer increase to compensate a little. For those of you that don't know the ultimately better original: you have to hit the other birds from above. touching them from below will kill ya.

The birds have kind of grown on me so i don't mind them that much anymore, but again: if an artist would like to draw another whacky duck/bird/flying sort of creature, or a background, that would be much appreciated (64,64 PNG for the sprites)

Some idea's for increasing difficulty more are platforms like in the original. But how advanced should a minigame be :unsure:

Thanks for your continued releases, it does need a bit of polish. The acceleration feels a little bit too sluggish but it also needs a speed restriction, you can make the guy go faster and faster looping through the screen if you flap and keep heading left! :)

It's good idea though just tweak it a little more and try to get some different gfx! :)

I'm finally back to my normal shifts... (apart from I'm working New Year's Eve... ick)
I've got some ideas that should speed up the slow down caused by the alpha blends (prerendering then blitting the prerendered scene until the colour changes) Hopefully aside from this I can get back into the swing of things! I have setup the Pandora compiler with Code::Blocks but we don't have any SDL libs yet... the most helpful response was to test on the GP2X or PC... which we are already doing... :rolleyes:
We still have some time since the Pandora is going to be mid Jan to early Feb now... so let's try and get this baby finished! :)

UPDATE: The idea to speed up the alpha blend works... there's a slight pause on the colour change but a nice speed gain when the bg colour is constant thanks to the surface buffering. :)

i really need some gameplay feedback on PanJoust, latest version is ONLINE

I've been tweaking and testing so much i can't really tell anymore if it feels good :unsure: luckily all values are easily changed now so adjusting speeds is a piece of cake :)

Ofcourse still without the awesome graphics dragon_slayer is working on

It looks a lot better already! :)
The enemies should also turn around... you could do a simple velocity check.

As for game play.... hmmm add walls or other obstructions... even random bouncing boxes... depending on how hard you want to make it.

Looking good.

I should have something to update relatively soon also.

Back