Pandora, Looking Good!

FRZ said:
anexanhume said:
I know this is off topic, but I'd love to see a BOM for this thing. I'm most interested in seeing the prices for the SoC and the LCD.

As regarding to criticism being shown, it's all really irrelevant. This level of "access" to the design developments is unprecedented, and this type of approach to building the device is novel, especially with regards to resources, as Craig puts it. While the creators may make what turn out to be false claims, they are just as much victims of circumstance, and are new to the challenges that such a project entails. Therefore, any criticism levied is really without base as there is no comparative previous scenario. Frustration is understandable, but as many video game developers remark "It will be done when it's done."

I've read this post before in another thread.
? Then someone copied me or it's a case of parallel thought. What's the point?

Yes, I know I can grab unit prices of the internet, but I was wondering what the actual cost was, and I don't know why it has to be confidential. That would seem to suggest the company doesn't want you to know how badly they are ripping you off ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
anexanhume said:

Yes, I know I can grab unit prices of the internet, but I was wondering what the actual cost was, and I don't know why it has to be confidential. That would seem to suggest the company doesn't want you to know how badly they are ripping you off ;)
It should be self-evident, but it is confidential because someone could use the negotiated price in THEIR negotiation.
Just use the link Laurent provided, you can get 5000 SOC's for $60, so I imagine thats a close estimate as to what the Pandora folks are paying.

ingrin said:
anexanhume said:

It should be self-evident, but it is confidential because someone could use the negotiated price in THEIR negotiation.
Just use the link Laurent provided, you can get 5000 SOC's for $60, so I imagine thats a close estimate as to what the Pandora folks are paying.

Yeah, I understand. It was more of a general comment than an actual disbelief.

I'm used to not getting answers on these specifics anyway :D I tried to ask MWeston how he designed the PCB since he would obviously had to license some expensive software himself, but didn't get an answer there either :D

ingrin said:
5000 for $60?! Thats like just over 1c each! Bargain! ;)

Squidge said:
ingrin said:
I thought that, then thought noooo I'm not going to say that...

Scary thought though

CR "I'd like 3000 SoCs please.",
DK "Certainly sir. That'll be $180,000. How would you like to pay?
CR "Slowly."

TaG said:
Squidge said:
ingrin said:
I thought that, then thought noooo I'm not going to say that...

Scary thought though

CR "I'd like 3000 SoCs please.",
DK "Certainly sir. That'll be $180,000. How would you like to pay?
CR "Slowly."

Yeah...damn. Kinda puts things in perspective. That's one hell of a loan.

I don't think it will take long for those first 3000 units to get out the door though.

Hah, my clairvoyance from in the beginning, in time for Christmas is coming true! It's a moon shot, a whole world of stuff to go wrong and if this is all that does besides the volume and nubs it's going to be pretty damn miraculous, still impressing the shit out of me. Your luck and timing are incredible.

anexanhume said:
FRZ said:
anexanhume said:
I know this is off topic, but I'd love to see a BOM for this thing. I'm most interested in seeing the prices for the SoC and the LCD.

As regarding to criticism being shown, it's all really irrelevant. This level of "access" to the design developments is unprecedented, and this type of approach to building the device is novel, especially with regards to resources, as Craig puts it. While the creators may make what turn out to be false claims, they are just as much victims of circumstance, and are new to the challenges that such a project entails. Therefore, any criticism levied is really without base as there is no comparative previous scenario. Frustration is understandable, but as many video game developers remark "It will be done when it's done."

I've read this post before in another thread.

Yeah, its a weird kinda deja-vu thing. I feel like I've read this exact post in this forum before. So it does kinda seem like it was just copy and paste from wherever it was posted before. Oh well, I could be wrong. Who knows?

Vimacs said:
Btw, i also had the great chance to meet the Pandora( and ed :) ) at the gc.
I have to say that the controls really work out great, i was a big sceptist regarding the placement of the controls and was fearing that its going to give you cramps but it really works out to be quite comfortable, i have nothing to complain regarding the controls - at all!.
I find it funny that the analogs were bashed so hard at all.

Note:

1. DS has an analog screen and a nub so you can work the screen with your thumb.

2. The DS screen is in the middle

3. The Pandora is roughly the same size.

4. The Pandora Analog nubs are not in the center.

Simple logic should dictate that if Nintendo thought it was good enough for them then a more ergonomic format shouldn't pose anybody problems.

Of course simple logic isn't always employed.

Back