Pandora "pandora Live"

novaslogic said:
I don't know if this is possible but I had a dreamlast night about open pandora development and the idea was not using a centralized computer for storing the data but several servers in a cluster format to handle the data so that way if one goes down it does not affect the others. This would help nip a lot of bandwidth problems in the ass.
I love it when ideas like that appear in dreams. You should pay attention when it happens, many great ideas throughout history have come to people that way. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my dreams, I've solved really tricky problems in them. And lucid dreams are the best :)

sindbad said:
I love my dreams, I've solved really tricky problems in them. And lucid dreams are the best :)
Lately thats how I've solved a few hard problems but this is more suggestion then anything.

just a parenthesis: it's nice to see this topic going strong, even after all those negative feedbacks on the beginning.
The idea that most Pandora users are gonna be playing the same games / emulators (just look at your friends gp2x, ds or psp, they have many homebrew and games in common) and that everyone is gonna have wifi just can't keep this community from playing together :)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
just a parenthesis: it's nice to see this topic going strong, even after all those negative feedbacks on the beginning.
The idea that most Pandora users are gonna be playing the same games / emulators (just look at your friends gp2x, ds or psp, they have many homebrew and games in common) and that everyone is gonna have wifi just can't keep this community from playing together :)
Have you started the project yet? I'm curious on the progress because I'm very excited for it. I think this will be quite a fun program to have installed.

Just so you know, I now agree with, and support this project entirely.
I think it is something that people are going to come to the Pandora for. It has huge potential.

but...

The idea that most Pandora users are gonna be playing the same games / emulators (just look at your friends gp2x, ds or psp, they have many homebrew and games in common) and that everyone is gonna have wifi just can't keep this community from playing together

ARGGG!!

I already went on a rant on you for this a couple of months ago.
If you are leading this project (which I think you are) you have to understand that not everyone plays the same games, otherwise this is going to be a flop.

PlopperZ said:
Just so you know, I now agree with, and support this project entirely.
I think it is something that people are going to come to the Pandora for. It has huge potential.

but...

The idea that most Pandora users are gonna be playing the same games / emulators (just look at your friends gp2x, ds or psp, they have many homebrew and games in common) and that everyone is gonna have wifi just can't keep this community from playing together

ARGGG!!

If you are leading this project (which I think you are) you have to understand that not everyone plays the same games, otherwise this is going to be a flop.
You're right, but if there was say some code people could put into their emulators that would support this then cross emulators may be possible. Worse come to worse people could make it compatible with homebrew. Toss out your ideas and see what people think.

It's too bad I wasn't able to brew interest in that guy who's doing the n64 multiplayer implementation, to come join in on this, it would have been nice to have cross platform support out of the box. You could have been playing people on PC's and other devices online if he joined in.

BackAssward said:
It's too bad I wasn't able to brew interes in that guy who's doing the n64 multiplayer implementation, to come join in on this, it would have been nice to have cross platform support out of the box. You could have been playing people on PC's and other devices online if he joined in.
Some people get stubborn you know?

novaslogic said:
BackAssward said:
It's too bad I wasn't able to brew interes in that guy who's doing the n64 multiplayer implementation, to come join in on this, it would have been nice to have cross platform support out of the box. You could have been playing people on PC's and other devices online if he joined in.
Some people get stubborn you know?

Nah, he seemed like a nice guy and liked the Pandora (he did eventually reply to me), just sounded like he didn't have the time. Maybe he will include TINXL support once there is a version of it up and running. Also, we don't know yet if we'll get N64, so I could see why he might not jump on right away.

Hmm, do PC N64 emulators have multiplayer?

That sounds like it's goign to be too much for the Pandora to push...

PlopperZ said:
but...

ARGGG!!

I don't see this as a problem. I would gladly play another game multiplayer if I knew someone else wanted to play with me. It's just suggests there might need to be alternative ways to match up, like perhaps a queue for meeting people who'd like to game, and their game interests (or an irc channel, as others suggested).

Someone just needs to write a social networking site specifically for game match-ups instead of love match-ups. SWF looking for long term HL2 partnership ;) (The winky implies I'm joking, before the flaming starts.)

Yamara said:
I would gladly play another game multiplayer if I knew someone else wanted to play with me.
I completely agree with that. I'd rather play a game i like a bit less (but still like ofc.) and play it against a human opponent then a favorite against a computer opponent.
It's the satisfaction that u know you are better at something. I know a PC can beat me, it's just a matter of a difficulty setting.

Also, if i see a game that has a lot of online players, it might be interesting so i'd probably give it a try if i did not know it yet.

Beside (not completely off) topic: I'd like to help out with this, but the last programming i did was in 1993 so i think i have to catch up a bit first. But the panda has actually made me do just that :D

Hmm. I find this project a bit promising :)
From a user perspective I would have liked to have a list of available games people want to play, maybe with ping
And definitely a possibility to filter out games i don't have.
Also sending messages and requests sounds like a good idea as well.
Just selecting what i want to play (with special handling for emulators) from a list (or my favourites) and have the game boot up when i get a match.

i personally dont think this project is going to ever happen...

i got the feeling that its more about talking

Back