Pandora "pandora Live"

Crasherball said:
i personally dont think this project is going to ever happen...

i got the feeling that its more about talking
Sadly that's all many of us can do at the moment - talk about Pandora.

I hope your wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey

Ye, haven't heard from parag0n for a while now, what's the go? are ya still working on it? if not then let us know so others may continue with it.

BTW, ya don't need to wait until the pandora is released to work on something like this, you can get it going on x86 linux or windows or whatever.

If ya like I might try wip up a little front end in SDL tonight, but I can't say for sure.

edit
Remember, start simple and take one step at a time, hehe.

and another
TINXL is not xbox live but I sure do hope it's pandora (a)live, hehe.

cyas

Thanks for the offer yosh64, but right now, i'm waiting on the GUI information for the pandora's main GUI before i program anything on that side, because i want to integrate TINXL nicely with it, to give a consistent look-and-feel throughout. If you want to throw out some designs though, feel free, it'll be nice to have a list of people's ideas when it does come to GUI-time!

Anyway, Project Status:

I've been playing around with python, working out how i will make the server-side, and i'm fairly confident it'll be able to handle the stress.

I've booked a week off work at the beginning of september, so if it isn't finished by then, be sure i'll be spending a lot of time perfecting it!

First step will be to write a tiny C program (tinxld) which will run daemonised and deal with the interaction between the running software and the server, and the server software. Once i have that interaction going it'll just be a case of writing a library that can be included in any software (prolly dual BSD / GPL licensed if that's possible), bindings for the pandora's plethora of languages (python, c and c++ will be the main ones i target, with other ones coming as needed / requested).

The GUI is the last thing on the list! I hate software projects that spend ages on a really flashy GUI, and then just die before making the software actually work! The GUI will probably be written in python, using whatever toolkit / graphics mode the main pandora UI uses (sdl, pygame, pygtk).

If people have feature requests for anything that isn't mentioned in the wiki, please feel free to post your request into the feature requests wikipage, it makes it a bit easier for me to keep track of what people want from TINXL!

ps. If anyone is interested in why this isn't FINISHED RIGHT NOW OMG VAPOURWARE, It turns out Robots are neato, and really good for practicing writing tiny, efficient code :D

parag0n said:
Soulkiller said:
parag0n: so does this mean your going to setup the repository for Pandora software as well?
Nope, i'm going to use the repository that will be set up by the creators.

Soulkiller said:
How do you plan for things such as multiplayer emulators where the user's don't ahve the same roms? will you setup a roms repository as well?
Right now, there is no way we can legally distribute roms, so i'm not planning on implementing rom sharing. In the future, a P2P rom sharing thing might be implemented, but i'd have to look at the legality of it first!

Soulkiller said:
Finally, how are you going to get developers to use your "standard" in their multiplayer games?
I'm talking with a few devs, and the consensus seems to be that as long as its easy to impement, they'll have no problem adding it.

Soulkiller said:
What if the developer doesn't decide to let the user pass arguments as to what server to connect to on launch? is that entire games userbase just out of luck?
The userbase can request the functionality from the developer in future versions, right now, there's nothing more that can be done. (unless the application is opensoure, in which case an interested developer can hack in the functionality and send the code upstream.

PoisonedV said:
We aren't trolling, we are being logical. Have fun wasting your skills on lame shit that will remain unused.
gee, well, i didn't realise i was wasting my skills! please tell me what YOU want developed, and I'll do it!

I'd like a wage of £45,000 per year, and a company car, thanks!

I am just wondering what would be illegal about it, i mean there are legal roms for most systems, like for gba there are lots of homebrew roms and i think it would be a nice way to distribute it if i wished to play it with someone, i hope that you will include this at some point :) this seems like a great project and thanks for taking the time to create it :)

sharing roms is a terrific feature. how many times have you connected handhelds(gba, nds, psp, etc) only to discover you don't have the same games to play against? now this is completely absolete (and EASY to share, almost automatic) :p

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
sharing roms is a terrific feature. how many times have you connected handhelds(gba, nds, psp, etc) only to discover you don't have the same games to play against? now this is completely absolete (and EASY to share, almost automatic) :p
While it may not be strictly illegal to include such a feature, and you could easily produce a lot of homebrew for said system that would make a great case for allowing it, I would be hesitant to do so. If big company lawyers found out you could share ROMs, you might get some unwanted attention, possibly a summons to explain yourself. Remember, big companies like Nintendo and Sony have lawyers on staff. They get paid to find people potentially stealing from them, whether it's legit or not. You, on the other hand, would have to pay a lawyer just to defend yourself, not to mention the pain of actually showing up in court, even if it's dismissed. Usually better to stay well this side of the law, or within places that have been proven safe. Big companies are scary.

A dedicated ROM sharing feature would be a bad idea - but that's not to say you couldn't include a messaging/inbox function. If you wanted to share photos, FAQs, whatever (...), you could send your goodies to another user's TINXL inbox. Maybe each user's TINXL inbox could simply link to a nominated email address, to avoid using TINXL server space.

Anyway, just brainstorming.

Good to see it's still in the works. :)

Well the ROM sharing isn't necessarily a bad idea. If any of you own a iPhone/iPod Touch, you know how the repository works. It loads file or application downloads from sources that can be added. While it may not be deliberately a smart idea to include such a source with the Pandora, there could be one you could add to have access to these "Legal" ROM's ;)

MAK PANDOORA LIV NAO!!!!!!111111
OH KA??????
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Jonttu said:
Well the ROM sharing isn't necessarily a bad idea. If any of you own a iPhone/iPod Touch, you know how the repository works. It loads file or application downloads from sources that can be added. While it may not be deliberately a smart idea to include such a source with the Pandora, there could be one you could add to have access to these "Legal" ROM's ;)
I think I understand what you mean. Basically, if you lack a required file you would have a program search specified websites for that specific file, correct? Kind of like how GetWad functions with Skulltag and Zdaemon?

I didn't mean a place hosting tons of snes roms
but a direct p2p sharing of the same, for example, bomberman game. playing us or jap version are different, plus someone might have forgotten to load bomberman to his SD...

ah you know what I mean, the same function snes9x has :)

And I don't see why this couldn't be applied to anything for that matter. If someone where to browse through a serve list of currently playing games they should be able to select anything (as long as its not commercial) and download it from the person if they don't have it.

I'm glad this project has been given a serious effort and that its closer to becoming a reality.

I had a forum for a while that as a bit sloppy, but basically it connected users who wanted to netplay on SNES, CPS2/NeoGeo and Genesis emulators for the PC. If we had different romsets, we just told each other where we got them and the problem's solved after a few second hassle. So if the devs don't want to implement a sharing/mailbox system, it doesn't necessarily mean this "live" idea is going to fail.

Just an 'inbox' thing would be incredibly amazing, though.

Let me tell you all from experience that playing Gunstar Heroes and Puyo Puyo against someone you've never met is an amazing adventure and I'm looking forward to trying this out.

I was thinking that since Pidgin will probably be the chat client used on the pandora, maybe could integrate it into pidgin using add-ons. It would be a simple way to resolve the gui idea in my opinion.

hey

Is this project dead or what? I haven't heard anything...

Anyhows if it comes to it I will try quickly make an IRC Bot, cause I wanna beable to hang out on IRC on my regular PC so I can see if anyone is online, and if they are I can turn on my Pandora and have a game :). Obviously you could run TINXL on multiple platforms also, but not if it don't exist :p, I think it's a rather ambitious project, but I dunno.

BTW, I would also make a client and what not, and have a protocol behind the scenes for interacting with the bot.

The other benefit of IRC is that if one server goes down you aways have others to fall back on :), although this is not the case for the bot server, but you could always have multiple bots from different servers incase one goes down :).

I think TINXL should be made simular, that is so there can be multiple servers linked together all from different places incase one goes down or whatever.

cyas

yosh64 said:
hey

Is this project dead or what? I haven't heard anything...

In August he announced that the project is still in the works. The devs cannot always get in the server because most of the programmers work fulltime and program in there spare time.

Back