Developer Bounties

TheGoodDoktor

Still Fresh
Hello!

I've seen mentioned on other threads that people are wondering how the developer kitty could be used.
One idea that I've seen in other communities is the concept of 'Developer Bounties', this is where rewards are pledged for specific programs or pieces or code that people need/want writing. The rewards are given when the code is delivered to a satisfactory standard.
I thought we could have somewhere on the Pandora site with a list of bounties, the current rewards pledged on them and who is currently working on them (so people can work together and share the reward).

Some project ideas (just of the top of my head) could be:
DSP accelerated OpenAL implementation
An optimised NEON maths library
Emulator <n> running at a constant 60fps
Quake3 with internet multiplayer

Rewards don't have to be financial. I'm sure I could donate some 360 games....

Any questions?
What do you think?

I guess you guys just have tons of Copies of PGR3 laying around. What if you could donate Geometry wars to the Pandora. That would be an awesome app. Also, Why didn't Geometry wars 2 have online co-op/battle?

@TheGoodDoktor
Like the gist of your post, especially if a way of collaborating towards bounties is possible like you suggest. +1 for the DSP accelerated OpenAL implementation, great idea!

One problem with bounties is that people don't want to collaborate, but if that can be solved it's a good idea.

an OpenCL implementation would be nice.

My thoughts were that there should be some sort of "Game/App of the Month" competition, whereby the community can nominate something worthy of a cash prize each month, and then vote on the winner

I thought of something like "free-pandora-for-a-dev"

Basically, we would make polls of wich developer should get a pandora for free. A paypall-accout would be set up (maybe by craig or ED) to get money for the unit and as soon as the money is there, ED/craig would either send the dev a panora or refund a already owned one.
Given the first batch would still be 4000 Pandora's, if every owner would donate 1$, ~10 devs could get a pandora for free.

We could that way say thanks to long-time contributors and set hope in devs outside the community to get part.

Svartalf, TheGoodDoktor and Ryan Gordon would be good candidates imho.

Dont forget Cpasjuste as he has being alot of good work on different emulators as well.

Your idea for free Pandoras for Devs is good and one that people should embrace - possibly with some sort of Poll/paypal contribution angle on official blog where people can vote/donate

I would expect this to probably happen within the first 6 months of the Pandoras first batch being processed

I believe that a competition where the best existing/in progress software is rewarded is better than a bounty, since bounties tend to encourage the worse kind of competition.

Back