Pandora keyboard design discussion

^ I prefer this design. :p

ascii_keyboard.jpg

250px-Microwriter.png

There you go. Feel the retroey goodness flow over you :p

105key keyboards are for Wimps!

^^Yes, while gaming or taking notes but not while doing word processing or editing spreadsheets. I really wonder how _wb_ managed to program Microbes on the Pandora. On the other hand, having a Pandora gives you the freedom to use it on occasions you never would use a laptop or netbook.
A regular keyboard is still way better than any handheld keyboard when raw typing speed is the bottleneck, e.g. when typing sentences someone else is saying. In my experience, in most use cases, the typing speed is not the bottleneck, but the thinking speed is. Coding is a good example.

Also, the Pandora keyboard is well suited for coding because most code contains a high proportion of symbols, so you need to use SHIFT a lot (and Fn). While thumb typing is of course in general slower than touch typing, for special symbols like {}&*()<>+_ it can actually be faster/easier on the Pandora keyboard because you can use L shoulder for shift and Fn does not need to be held down. Also pressing combo shortcuts like CTRL-SHIFT-something is easier on the Pandora than on any other keyboard I have.

like to type on the Pandora keyboard, ok not touchtyping we have USB for that but for thumb typing for example on the bus or down the pub where you dont neccessarily have a surface to place the Pandora on - its a great keyboard. Also impressed by the fact its a functions as a full keyboard with so few keys in such a compact space, the keys are nice and spongy which is good for thumb typing, especially if you're trying to do email or web browsing.

The keyboard isn't qwerty.. It's different, but it's perfectly usable.

Hopefully with the iCP2 design, they'll fix most of these problems anyway.

It is qwerty - the alphabetical keys are lain out as standard, its just that everything else isn't!

Yes, I fully agree that the keyboard is best to be used with holding the Pandora with two hands and getting the benefit from all keys including the shoulder buttons. It's just that I prefer to use it standing on the table most of the time if I am not gaming. Then the shoulder buttons are almost useless and as I said in a recent post the keys must be pressed too hard to be comfortable to me.

Attaching a USB keyboard would solve the problem but I think it somewhat strange to use one of the tiniest real computers with inbuilt keyboard and ruin this formfactor with an additional keyboard.

Heck, I'm going to be using Portabase to populate a Database with over 140,000 items in three categories.

And that means a lot of thumb-typing.

Unless there is a way to import from a laptop a database in a different format, I have no idea what file extension PortaBase uses.
Portabase can import xml, but not csv which would be really useful. Does anyone know a tool to convert csv to xml?

Original thread title: OpenPandora has the Best Keyboard!

... for a device this size. I thought the other thread had a misleading headline. Post your keyboard comments to this thread instead of the other one if you agree.

The OpenPandora has the best keyboard I have ever seen on a device this size. The layout is amazing - they got all the important unix / linux shell and programming symbols included without requiring awkward key combos to reach them. The raised rounded keys make it easy to hit the key you want without accidentially hitting a neighboring key. It is very well thought out and an amazing result considering how few keys they had space for.

I have owned a Psion 5mx and netbook and their keyboards were not meant for thumb typing, which needs a bit more resistance to avoid false presses. I addition, such crossbar type keys wouldn't fit unless you made the pandora two or three inches wider. Pocketable and ten-finger typing are mutually exclusive.

The only possible improvement I could think of (and I'm not sure it would be an improvement) is if the keys had a bit of tactile click.

Other comments in the other thread show I'm not alone in appreciating what OPT have accomplished with this keyboard.

I like to type on the Pandora keyboard, ok not touchtyping we have USB for that but for thumb typing for example on the bus or down the pub where you dont neccessarily have a surface to place the Pandora on - its a great keyboard. Also impressed by the fact its a functions as a full keyboard with so few keys in such a compact space, the keys are nice and spongy which is good for thumb typing, especially if you're trying to do email or web browsing.
the Pandora keyboard is well suited for coding because most code contains a high proportion of symbols, so you need to use SHIFT a lot (and Fn). While thumb typing is of course in general slower than touch typing, for special symbols like {}&*()<>+_ it can actually be faster/easier on the Pandora keyboard because you can use L shoulder for shift and Fn does not need to be held down. Also pressing combo shortcuts like CTRL-SHIFT-something is easier on the Pandora than on any other keyboard I have.
The soft keys themselves are the most comfortable I have ever used. I have owned and used many handheld keyboards, and the P1 blows everything away in terms of comfort. The design layout could be tweaked, but "most uncomfortable ever" is a bit too hyperbolic for me to continue discussion.
Exactly. Thus discussion can continue in a thread not laden with a misleading title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keyboard discussion threads merged

Given the strong difference in opinions as to the keyboard design, would a poll be a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we need a poll. We have a Pandora with a decent/good/great keyboard for maybe 50% or more of their owners.

So if one wishes a new/better keyboard (like me) one should try to apply a hardware hack (like hmc) or remain in wishful thinking (like me). Or try to convince members with better abilities to provide this hack.

So we need a 'do we need a poll' poll?

Consider that the iCP2 keypad (which will probably be used in the P2) is reportedly much better

Back