Pandora Intro Animation

foxblock

Asleep
Like every say for example Nintendo game I want to display a short animation of the device/company name before the menu of my home-brewed game(s).
I think this is a nice touch and additionally you can promote the Pandora through it.

Currently, because of the lack of such an animation, I simply fade in the "unofficial" Pandora logo (found on the file archive) with a text beneath it saying "www.openPandora.org", but as there are many talented artists in this community I thought maybe someone is up for creating something nicer.
It should be pretty short (so one does not get annoyed by it), have the Pandora logo and maybe name in it, maybe a link to the website. The animation itself should be pretty abstract or varied, as a 8-bit-only animation does not fit every game for example.
Additionally it should either be on a black or transparent background.
To make embedding in games easier a gif-animation or sprite-sheet (I can rip that from a flash project or movie if I have to, too) is preferable.

I don't want to solely use it in my games, but have a logo we can use in all Pandora home-brew games and maybe also videos, so it has some sort of recognition value!

For starters there is this:
http://www.newground...tal/view/464939
The problem is, I don't have access to the original files (to create a sprite-sheet), it does not fit all games and is fairly long. It is very nice nevertheless.

Submit your ideas and comments about this (ideas on how the animation should look, should we have one at all?)!

foxblock out

The second one would be more suitable (because of its length), but I personally don't like it that much.
There are some more on YouTube, but they don't appeal to me either.

That is why I started this discussion, so maybe we can create one most of the people in this community are pleased with and we use from this day forward.
If it will be one of the already existing ones it is fine with me, but I personally think someone can do better ;)

foxblock out

EDIT:
SomeGuy99 said:
I thought Gonzo did it. My memory sucks mind you :)
If you had clicked on the link I posted at the very beginning you would notice the author of the video being our beloved Mr. Gonzo (just with a slightly different nick). ;)
Aaaand ninja'd :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
I thought Gonzo did it. My memory sucks mind you :)

He did. Actually READ the Newsgrounds link and you will see that.

-God Ginrai

DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

not that it matters but I believe that animation was made for boot-up, not game intros. same difference I suppose.

Heres some of the old threads about this:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/42285-pandora-bios-logo/
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/43859-any-boot-animation-details/

There are some good animations in those threads that may work well for game intros.

[edit] heres the thread with Gonzo's animation:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44791-official-promotion-andor-boot-animationjingle-thread/

Thanks for the links, having looked through them all (man the forum really was in a bad shape back then) here are the remaining working ones (I also left some out which did not have the logo in it or the old logo):

I especially like the last two, maybe a combination of the two where it first swipes across the name and fades in afterwards (one could tinker that from the two animations).

foxblock out

I kinda like the fade in/out effect on the uboot screen. Obviously not as long (since it won't be loading a kernel in that time.) but the same idea. Simple, effective, etc. Probably just add a link to the site in small lettering on a corner.

foxblock said:
znnajs.gif

ab0coi.gif

I especially like the last two, maybe a combination of the two where it first swipes across the name and fades in afterwards (one could tinker that from the two animations).

foxblock out

I like the first one of these (the last two) for what you are wanting an intro for. I think the second one would make a great loading ticker. (Instead of Loading, Loading., Loading.., Loading..., Loading, Loading., etc. for example)

-God Ginrai

You're welcome to use either of those for whatever.
If anyone wants them, you'd better save a local copy... they've lasted on Tinypic this long, but that's no guarantee they'll stay up indefinitely.

The images could stand to be improved; the logo isn't antialiased, and the end-points of the box are slightly rounded where they shouldn't be.

You might want to edit the first GIF (in GIMP or something) to turn off looping, if you want to use it as a splash page.

Quick question:

Is it physically possible to make a 3D version of the Pandora logo?

Kagato said:
You're welcome to use either of those for whatever.
If anyone wants them, you'd better save a local copy... they've lasted on Tinypic this long, but that's no guarantee they'll stay up indefinitely.

The images could stand to be improved; the logo isn't antialiased, and the end-points of the box are slightly rounded where they shouldn't be.

You might want to edit the first GIF (in GIMP or something) to turn off looping, if you want to use it as a splash page.

Thanks for the permission, the animations are really great!

I may ask whether you still have (if you ever had) some original project files, preferable something like a layered Adobe Fireworks file, so I don't have to edit every single frame of the animation the match the colours with the "unofficial" logo (and "fix" the other things you mentioned).

foxblock out

Grah! I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally slow down the load-up of a game unless they were forced to do so by lawyers and marketing departments.

One of the great things about the opensource experience is that developers of non-commercial open-source projects don't cave to that sort of pressure. They never add an anti-user feature like a pointless delay, because there is no one forcing them to.

Putting this sort of thing in an opensource game is like putting unpaid advertisements into your youtube clips because they look "more professional" that way.

Kordman916 said:
Quick question:

Is it physically possible to make a 3D version of the Pandora logo?

UpsideDownSGI.png

VRAndy said:
Grah! I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally slow down the load-up of a game unless they were forced to do so by lawyers and marketing departments.

One of the great things about the opensource experience is that developers of non-commercial open-source projects don't cave to that sort of pressure. They never add an anti-user feature like a pointless delay, because there is no one forcing them to.

Putting this sort of thing in an opensource game is like putting unpaid advertisements into your youtube clips because they look "more professional" that way.

I have to agree. It's gotten so silly in recent years, for example with GBA games that have seven different company logos! In the old days, a small line of text at the bottom of the title screen was sufficient.

Swtich on -> Press Start -> Play!

Back