Pandora Intro Animation


Cameleon

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
272
Age
35
Location
Glasgow
Website
Visit site
SomeGuy99 said:
VRAndy said:
Grah! I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally slow down the load-up of a game unless they were forced to do so by lawyers and marketing departments.

One of the great things about the opensource experience is that developers of non-commercial open-source projects don't cave to that sort of pressure. They never add an anti-user feature like a pointless delay, because there is no one forcing them to.


Putting this sort of thing in an opensource game is like putting unpaid advertisements into your youtube clips because they look "more professional" that way.
I have to agree. It's gotten so silly in recent years, for example with GBA games that have seven different company logos! In the old days, a small line of text at the bottom of the title screen was sufficient.

Swtich on -> Press Start -> Play!
I agree that having logo after logo pop up before you can play a game can be annoying, however I would always have a quick flash of a logo on any of my games. Be it before, or on, the title screen or the first thing in the credits. I see it more as a case of being proud of the work you have done and being instantly identifiable with it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

banjeed

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
213
Kordman916 said:
Quick question:

Is it physically possible to make a 3D version of the Pandora logo?
We'll never know.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VRAndy

Very Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,127
Cameleon said:
I see it more as a case of being proud of the work you have done and being instantly identifiable with it.
If you make me wait for it, it's vanity.

Remember, this is a portable device, I want instant gratification here.

At least put in a menu option to disable it. Or make it so you show me a bunch of logos the first time I play and then never again. I'd be fine with either. But if I have to wait an extra half second for no good reason then every time I start your game my first emotion will be frustration as I futilely pound on the buttons hoping to make the logo screen go past faster. Ideally, My first and last emotions should be extreme fun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Cameleon

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
272
Age
35
Location
Glasgow
Website
Visit site
VRAndy said:
Cameleon said:
I see it more as a case of being proud of the work you have done and being instantly identifiable with it.
If you make me wait for it, it's vanity.

Remember, this is a portable device, I want instant gratification here.

At least put in a menu option to disable it. Or make it so you show me a bunch of logos the first time I play and then never again. I'd be fine with either. But if I have to wait an extra half second for no good reason then every time I start your game my first emotion will be frustration as I futilely pound on the buttons hoping to make the logo screen go past faster. Ideally, My first and last emotions should be extreme fun.
Actually the rest of my post said that I also hate seeing screen after screen of crap before a game. As I said before any game of mine would at most have a very unobtrusive logo flash or, the more likely option a logo on the title screen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VRAndy

Very Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,127
I did read it, but since you mentioned "before the title screen" as a possibility, I figured I could still rant.
 

1magus

Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
462
Maybe I will take a crack at a 3D animation I did like that first video with all the consoles flying, gives me ideas B)
 

God Ginrai

Godmaster
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
5,465
Website
Visit site
VRAndy said:
Kordman916 said:
Quick question:

Is it physically possible to make a 3D version of the Pandora logo?
UpsideDownSGI.png
Now you're adding extra stuff to the logo to try to force it into the claim that it looks like the SGI logo. The Pandora logo is as close to the SGI Logo as it is to the Treasure Logo.

banjeed's avatar seems like the closest thing to a true 3D Pandora logo that I can think of.

VRAndy said:
If you make me wait for it, it's vanity.
What's wrong with Start-Skippable credit screens? (Like how you could hit Start at the Sega Screen to skip it on most Sega Genesis games)

-God Ginrai
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VRAndy

Very Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,127
God Ginrai said:
Now you're adding extra stuff to the logo to try to force it into the claim that it looks like the SGI logo. The Pandora logo is as close to the SGI Logo as it is to the Treasure Logo.
Actually that is the SGI logo. Just upside down.

But I felt it also worked in a discussion about whether the Pandora logo could be rendered in 3d.

(Actually, Actually, the SGI logo was a 3d object. They were adamant on this point. So I guess it's not so much 'upside down' as from an "unfamiliar angle"?)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

God Ginrai

Godmaster
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
5,465
Website
Visit site
VRAndy said:
God Ginrai said:
Now you're adding extra stuff to the logo to try to force it into the claim that it looks like the SGI logo. The Pandora logo is as close to the SGI Logo as it is to the Treasure Logo.
Actually that is the SGI logo. Just upside down.

But I felt it also worked in a discussion about whether the Pandora logo could be rendered in 3d.

(Actually, Actually, the SGI logo was a 3d object. They were adamant on this point. So I guess it's not so much 'upside down' as from an "unfamiliar angle"?)
Now that I look at it again, you're image is indeed looking at the SGI logo from behind.

sgi-logo-256x256x32bit.png


But like I said, I think that banjeed's avvy is the only really faithful representation of the Pandora logo as something akin to a 3D object.

-God Ginrai
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vadsamoht

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
1,022
Age
30
Location
South Australia
VRAndy said:
Cameleon said:
I see it more as a case of being proud of the work you have done and being instantly identifiable with it.
If you make me wait for it, it's vanity.

Remember, this is a portable device, I want instant gratification here.

At least put in a menu option to disable it. Or make it so you show me a bunch of logos the first time I play and then never again. I'd be fine with either. But if I have to wait an extra half second for no good reason then every time I start your game my first emotion will be frustration as I futilely pound on the buttons hoping to make the logo screen go past faster. Ideally, My first and last emotions should be extreme fun.
Half a second? Seriously? the next time you are made to wait at traffic lights, everything is going to be evened out anyway - I doubt you'll ever be in a situation where you'll be saying ``Damn, I wish I had just half a second more time!'. I actually agree that repetitive splash screens are annoying, but really a single two- or three-second clip like the second one in the second post shouldn't be a problem, especially if its start-skippable as GodGinrai mentioned. I'm not a fan of that particular animation, but the length is fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

banjeed

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
213
God Ginrai said:
VRAndy said:
God Ginrai said:
Now you're adding extra stuff to the logo to try to force it into the claim that it looks like the SGI logo. The Pandora logo is as close to the SGI Logo as it is to the Treasure Logo.
Actually that is the SGI logo. Just upside down.

But I felt it also worked in a discussion about whether the Pandora logo could be rendered in 3d.

(Actually, Actually, the SGI logo was a 3d object. They were adamant on this point. So I guess it's not so much 'upside down' as from an "unfamiliar angle"?)
Now that I look at it again, you're image is indeed looking at the SGI logo from behind.

sgi-logo-256x256x32bit.png


But like I said, I think that banjeed's avvy is the only really faithful representation of the Pandora logo as something akin to a 3D object.

-God Ginrai
Haha! you guys are killing me! Thanks Optimus. Of course It's possible. My avatar was made from a 3D model I made for a prospective default wallpaper. Did this ever make it into the actual pandora wallpaper's btw?.
fmuly.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:

paulguy

Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
414
Age
31
Location
Buffalo, NY
Website
paulguy.co.uk
Yknow, a logo screen would be a good kind of pre-load screen, before menus or an actual loading screen. Kinda like the actual pandora bootup screen where it shows the pandora logo (Before the Powered by Angstrom screen). At that point, it's loading the kernel.

If it's just there for no reason, then yeah, waste of time.
 

foxblock

Asleep
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
1,563
Location
Germany
vadsamoht said:
Half a second? Seriously? the next time you are made to wait at traffic lights, everything is going to be evened out anyway - I doubt you'll ever be in a situation where you'll be saying ``Damn, I wish I had just half a second more time!'. I actually agree that repetitive splash screens are annoying, but really a single two- or three-second clip like the second one in the second post shouldn't be a problem, especially if its start-skippable as GodGinrai mentioned. I'm not a fan of that particular animation, but the length is fine.
Exactly.
The point of it is to have some sort of recognition value and to promote the Pandora.
Of course, everyone hates to wait 10 or more seconds before the game starts just to be shown some company labels and animations (it's especially bad in EA games).
That's why the developer should make it skipable and that's also why I said in my initial post it should be pretty short and why Mr.Gonzo's ani is not an option - because it is too long.
To me having a logo like that adds a professional touch and as Cameleon said it is about being proud of one's work.

foxblock out
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
3,885
Age
39
Location
The Netherlands
Website
Visit site
banjeed said:
Haha! you guys are killing me! Thanks Optimus. Of course It's possible. My avatar was made from a 3D model I made for a prospective default wallpaper. Did this ever make it into the actual pandora wallpaper's btw?.
fmuly.png
I cannot check it now but I think I saw that one in the list of pandora backgrounds on the pandora yes!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

PokeParadox

Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
6,543
Age
36
Location
UK
Website
www.projectinfinity.org.uk
I have no issue with one or two splash screens that you can skip through, I'm also one to be annoyed at the endless sequences of logos and legal mumbo jumbo that you often see before some games...
 

bradleyb01

Still Fresh
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
96
Location
United States
banjeed said:
Haha! you guys are killing me! Thanks Optimus. Of course It's possible. My avatar was made from a 3D model I made for a prospective default wallpaper. Did this ever make it into the actual pandora wallpaper's btw?.
Yes it is; and it is the one that I currently use on my Pandora. Good job and thank you!

edit: puncuation
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Eniko

Raving Python fangirl
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
641
Age
37
Location
Netherlands
Website
purplepirates.darksiren.net
PokeParadox said:
I have no issue with one or two splash screens that you can skip through, I'm also one to be annoyed at the endless sequences of logos and legal mumbo jumbo that you often see before some games...
On the other hand starting a game and being dumped straight into the title screen can actually be a little jarring after so many years of getting used to stuff like this. Skippable standardized logo screen would be good. Consider that a lot of games that will run on Pandora will likely be ported to a lot of other platforms too, and it'd be like free advertising for "our" device.

Although I wonder if something like that would be allowed in an Xbox Live Indie Game.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

VRAndy

Very Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,127
vadsamoht said:
I doubt you'll ever be in a situation where you'll be saying ``Damn, I wish I had just half a second more time!'.
No, but I am often in a position where I am infuriated by inconsequential delays. My enjoyment of my entertainment products does not have to be logical.

You mentioned the stop lights. Do pointless stop lights (when there's no crossing traffic) enhance or degrade your driving enjoyment?

Eniko said:
Consider that a lot of games that will run on Pandora will likely be ported to a lot of other platforms too, and it'd be like free advertising for "our" device.
Wouldn't whoever was porting it change the logo to be platform appropriate?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top