Pandora has no competition?

KrazyKain

Still Fresh
I was just thinking... the Pandora is said not to have any competition, that there is no other product like it. But I don't think this is entirely true. The Pandora is mainly a VERY portable mini computer... kinda like a tablet pc. When telling friends about it I usually use the description "sorta like an Ipad that ISNT controlled by apple and lets you install whatever the hell you want on it, porting just about anything over. Plus it doesn't rely on touch screen controls, hoorah for analogue nubs and keyboard"

to further my point, the Ipad adverts on tv show drawing applications, games, office applications, web browsers, media players... Pandora does that... and that... that one too... yup, got them too...

So yeah I sorta feel like the pandora is competing with the Ipad, only it's just a million times better because:

a) fits in pocket

b ) keyboard and nubs

c) Don't need apples permission to install something.

d) Compatible with most PC usb hardware.

e) probably a million more reasons you guys can think of.

(Note: it is entirely possible that when I get my Pandora tomorrow my views will change)

Last edited by a moderator:
The "no competition" mark overall is arguable. Bring games into the equation, though, and you're right on the money.

I think there is nothing else which has everything the Pandora has. But if you want only games, or only Linux, or only hardware controls, etc, you'll probably find something else too.

The Pandora does not have any direct competition if you're looking at it from a functional perspective. Show me another handheld mini computer with built in gaming controls and then I'll change my mind.

It is a niche product, but it occupies a damn good niche.

Its gaming-bent is what sets it apart. No other piece of gaming tech has so many non-gaming functions. Likewise, no other pocket-pc is built for gaming like the Pandora is.

Edit: okay, maybe the Xperia Play. See below.

It is a niche product, but it occupies a damn good niche.
This pretty much sums it up exactly.

I can do pretty much all the same things (and more) that I could do with a Pandora on my Android phone, but I'm still looking forward to getting my Pandy soon. (been waiting since day 1... it shouldn't be long now...)

The Pandora is basically a case of the niche defining the product. The Pandora was designed and built by and for a very specific subset of people (originally, the gp2x'ers and the corresponding "next generation" of the same), to meet exactly the needs of those people, while simultaneously pushing the envelope and reaching into new territories (from homebrew gaming device into the realm UMPC, etc.). The developers who have had Pandoras and prototypes in their hands for years, along with the community itself, are what make it truly impossible for the Pandora to have "competition." It could have an "equivalent," but unless it found its home in the exact same group of people as the Pandora has, it simply wouldn't be applicable to call it competition.

The only thing that comes close I feel is the Xperia Play

n64oid-xperia-play.png

forget the fact it *can* function as a phone, if used as a MID *with phone capabilities* it is very comparable to the pandora in regards to funcitonality

3 main ups

+runs linux (android) but can be modded to run debian or any flavor of linux

+open sourced linux kernel and open platform (open bootloader from manufacturer)

+physical gaming controls

3 main downs

-no usb host

-no physical keyboard (only touchscreen keyboard)

-smaller battery out of box (3rd party 3600mah battery available for purchase)

EDIT:if you don't know, I own both the pandora and xperia play

@johnsongrantr

How is the Dpad? I haven't had a chance to play with either of the units yet but judging by pics it looks like the Pandora's would be better suited for classic games.

It looks like the dots in the middle are some kind of nubs? How do you like them compared to the Pandora's?

The moment a sub 7 in AMD fusion Tablet is released, I'm cancelling my preorder...

@johnsongrantr

How is the Dpad? I haven't had a chance to play with either of the units yet but judging by pics it looks like the Pandora's would be better suited for classic games.

It looks like the dots in the middle are some kind of nubs? How do you like them compared to the Pandora's?
Both the D-pad and analog controls fall short when compared to the pandora as far as niceness in terms of retro/classic gaming. Both devices do the job, and do it well, but the pandora just does it a little bit better when it comes to the feel of the gaming controls. Both the analog nubs and optical nubs take getting used to, neither are the same as a n64 or xbox analog control, but both do the job just fine.

I did write this if you want more info.

IMO, Pandora is certainly the king of portable gaming, etc. When it comes to "having it all" nothing comes close to Pandora. My reasons below.

- Small, compact form factor with a full linux distro.

- No other d-pad on a portable device, whether it'd be a smart phone, pmp, mid, umpc, or portable gaming console comes close to the overall performance, quality & feel of Pandora's d-pad. Take it from me, an expert of Street Fighter II.

- Big and beautiful Hi-Res screen that is not glossy like those other 'mirrow like' devices.

- Keyboard with gaming controls = Win

- Physical gaming controls + a mini computer all in one...Pandora is one of a kind!

- Emulates everything (games N64 and below) more or less perfectly.

- Emulates everything (games N64 and below) more or less perfectly.
It does not emulate N64 perfectly...

Looking at the xperia I can't see the controls coming anywhere close to the pandora. The action buttons on the play don't look very traditional. And those nubs look extremely awkward.

Also, I much prefer Clamshell design. I'd hate to have to be conscious about scratching the screen when it's in my pocket.

Back