Epub Reader - Must Be Possible Surely?

second exodous said:
It's late and I don't want to dig through this thread seeing if this has been asked but why not rip the reader out of calibre? I haven't looked that far into it but I notice that it is just called 'E-book Viewer' and you can open epub(and just about every other ebook format, including naked HTML) with it without starting up calibre. It loads faster than calibre so I think it is a separate program.

I'm not sure if this helps any, but I'm loving calibre, with this and the price drop in the B&N Nook and this I think I'll get the wifi $150 version. I HATE FBreader, it has kept me from even considering an e-ink reader as I use Linux and would want to organize my books on my PC.

I'll still use my Pandora to read with now and then though.

@ skeezix

Have you ever gone here? Why not just digitize dead tree versions of books? That way you have a digital copy to go everywhere and a hard backup. I'm going to build one of these and digitize my library someday, no way I can buy them all again. It is also pretty easy once you get it set up, not as fast as a professional digitizer, but a heck of a lot cheaper(about $99,900 less)!

Wow, pretty hardcore and awesome; however, I read ebooks because I've not the time to read dead tree (ie: in the dark beside my sleeping kid ;); I spend my hacktime time on software, not enough time to hack on something like that. But tempting... I wonder how much effort it is ;)

I'll take a look at calibre when I get a moment.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see the point of buying e-books anymore, like you said they cost more than the paper backs, which I usually buy anyway, so I might as well get that and make my own e-book out of it. Either that, dare I say, after you buy the dead tree version look somewhere to download the e-book for free, but I'd feel better making my own from a hard copy I bought. Epub is cool because any reader can use it and it's an open standard that anyone can make provided they can copy a book with a book scanner.

Anyway I wouldn't mess with FBreader, I've seen people try to just improve it that get frustrated and give up, it is a mess. There has to be a better open source e-book reader out there.

Back