Hi new here and some questions

exorio

Still Fresh
Hei guys,

Some lame intro. My gadget chronology Pandora caught my eyes years back, but then I went forgot about it.

Then iPad came out it caught my interest.

Suddenly out of nowhere I heard pandora reappear. So I read most of the infos in the official main page and watch some youtube videos on it. It caught my eyes again. I want it more than I want an iPad.

So it was based on Linux. I saw one of the youtube video, it uses its own package format, pdr, CMIIW. So I read from wikipedia aswell, it can use .deb package. Is this mean I can install native 32bit debian packages onto it? If that so, the application possibility are endless since I do use linux for one of my desktop, and I do love the softwares.

Another question is, does open pandora screen works without the stylus and sensitive enough on fingers? Perhaps, better yet if it's capacitive like most current touch screen phones no need for multitouch just so we can use merely our fingers on it (just a suggestion btw)

Oh yeah, I was wondering how about the procedures of being a reseller/distributor?

Thanks.

So it was based on Linux. I saw one of the youtube video, it uses its own package format, pdr, CMIIW.
I'm not sure what "CMIIW" means, but you're correct, the Pandora does have its own format for applications. The format used for most Pandora applications is "PND", though. ;)

You can get them from here and here primarily (some developers post them on their own web-space, too, but for the sake of brevity I'll just link to those two for the moment :p ).

So I read from wikipedia aswell, it can use .deb package. Is this mean I can install native 32bit debian packages onto it? If that so, the application possibility are endless since I do use linux for one of my desktop, and I do love the softwares.
This seems to be incorrect or outdated information, at least in basic terms. You cannot use 32-bit Debian packages with the Pandora, because the software in those is written for x86 processors - the Pandora uses an ARM CPU. It is is possible to set up something called an "extend", in order to install applications made for the ARM version of Debian, though.

Another question is, does open pandora screen works without the stylus and sensitive enough on fingers?
Yes it can, and in my experience, yes it is.

Perhaps, better yet if it's capacitive like most current touch screen phones no need for multitouch just so we can use merely our fingers on it (just a suggestion btw)
It's resistive, not capacitive. A capacitive touch-screen isn't a requirement for using one's fingers, if that's what you're saying here. (I may be misunderstanding you, however, so please accept my apologies if this is the case.)

Oh yeah, I was wondering how about the procedures of being a reseller/distributor?
I'll have to leave that one to the team. :p

I hope my post is useful to you. Welcome aboard, by the way! :)

Is it me or are net speak acronyms getting out of hand (IIMOANSAGOOH)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a silly banana... that's actually quite worrying, I blame the amount of sauce that I drank on Saturday

I'm not sure what "CMIIW" means

as the guys said up there.

This seems to be incorrect or outdated information, at least in basic terms. You cannot use 32-bit Debian packages with the Pandora, because the software in those is written for x86 processors - the Pandora uses an ARM CPU. It is is possible to set up something called an "extend", in order to install applications made for the ARM version of Debian, though.

so IOW (that's In Other Words), it'll be dependent on what's being ported to pandora?

pardon the acronym lesson lol, can't help it.

Or perhaps I can use any arm-based linux distribution packages. Such as angstrom, which pandora was based on?

I'm perceiving if I own a pandora I will push it further rather than just being a handheld console. Probably graphic stuffs using Gimp, Blender and Wings. Also office stuffs using abiword since I don't think OpenOffice will run at comfortable speed on pandora. Or does anyone have tried running these softwares on pandora?

Yes it can, and in my experience, yes it is.

It's resistive, not capacitive. A capacitive touch-screen isn't a requirement for using one's fingers, if that's what you're saying here. (I may be misunderstanding you, however, so please accept my apologies if this is the case.)

mkay do you need to use your nails or just your fingers that is? So far Iexperience both "resistive" and "capacitive" screens on mobile phones, which in the case of resistive I need to use my nails in order for the device to be responsive to my touch.

I hope my post is useful to you. Welcome aboard, by the way! :)

Thanks

Or perhaps I can use any arm-based linux distribution packages. Such as angstrom, which pandora was based on?
Currently the Pandora OS is just an Ångström remix, so stuff from the Ångström repository can simply be installed via opkg, a Pandora-specific repository is planned but not yet available. Stuff from the Debian armel repository should work as well, but AFAIK they are targeted at older ARM architectures so the stuff in there is not that optimized while the IPKG/OPKG system actually distinguishes the different architecture revisions and therefore it can provide more optimized binaries.

However, you should avoid installing IPKG/OPKG or DEB packages, because there is not much free room on the NAND and each write process is wearing out the NAND chip, which means if you keep installing stuff on the NAND you're actually shorten its lifetime.

It is better to try to wrap software from those repositories (or directly compiled from source) into a PND if possible, simply because they are kept on external media like SD cards.

which in the case of resistive I need to use my nails in order for the device to be responsive to my touch.

crap screen :p resistive screens respond to pressure, whatever form it comes in, so nails, stylus, fingers work fine on the pandoras screen (it's a very good touchscreen), capacitive screens respond to the capacitance change when a finger touches them, so fingernails and most styli don't work, whereas fingers, sausages and rolled up anti-static film do :D

you can definately use the arm-angstrom packages, and there are quite a lot

so IOW (that's In Other Words), it'll be dependent on what's being ported to pandora?

pardon the acronym lesson lol, can't help it.
Haha, that's fine. I know a lot of acronyms, so I was surprised to hear a new one. :lol:

I'm perceiving if I own a pandora I will push it further rather than just being a handheld console. Probably graphic stuffs using Gimp, Blender and Wings. Also office stuffs using abiword since I don't think OpenOffice will run at comfortable speed on pandora. Or does anyone have tried running these softwares on pandora?
Abiword is included in the Pandora's base OS, so that runs right out of the box. I haven't used it myself, but I gather that it works nicely. If it's of any interest, Gnumeric is also included.

I don't know if anyone's doing anything with Blender or Wings, but GIMP has definitely been done. I can't remember off of the top of my head where the PND for that is right now, if there is one.

crap screen :p resistive screens respond to pressure, whatever form it comes in, so nails, stylus, fingers work fine on the pandoras screen (it's a very good touchscreen), capacitive screens respond to the capacitance change when a finger touches them, so fingernails and most styli don't work, whereas fingers, sausages and rolled up anti-static film do :D

you can definately use the arm-angstrom packages, and there are quite a lot

Pressurized LCD will worn out if the usage is quite intense. I see what my friend's NDS has become lol.

But depends on the user aswell I guess. Well every electronics do worn out along time. You got a point there. Smaller screen would need much smaller points. It'll be more accurate for graphics aswell.

Currently the Pandora OS is just an Ångström remix, so stuff from the Ångström repository can simply be installed via opkg, a Pandora-specific repository is planned but not yet available. Stuff from the Debian armel repository should work as well, but AFAIK they are targeted at older ARM architectures so the stuff in there is not that optimized while the IPKG/OPKG system actually distinguishes the different architecture revisions and therefore it can provide more optimized binaries.

However, you should avoid installing IPKG/OPKG or DEB packages, because there is not much free room on the NAND and each write process is wearing out the NAND chip, which means if you keep installing stuff on the NAND you're actually shorten its lifetime.

It is better to try to wrap software from those repositories (or directly compiled from source) into a PND if possible, simply because they are kept on external media like SD cards.

Abiword is included in the Pandora's base OS, so that runs right out of the box. I haven't used it myself, but I gather that it works nicely. If it's of any interest, Gnumeric is also included.

I don't know if anyone's doing anything with Blender or Wings, but GIMP has definitely been done. I can't remember off of the top of my head where the PND for that is right now, if there is one.

Awesome.

But that means, end users will dependent on developers whether they would port some softwares into pandora right?

Oh yeah one more, how about samba/windows interoperability?

I think it's kinda cool to use this as file server aswell. Connect it to a harddrive, turn wifi on, you got yourself a wireless fileserver.

Not much generated heat, small space requirement.

Rather than NASLite, you'll still need hunky old computer with it.

^ If memory serves, I *think* that Samba is included in the base OS installation as well. I can't say for certain, though, as I don't use Microsoft Windows and have had no cause to look into it.

^ If memory serves, I *think* that Samba is included in the base OS installation as well. I can't say for certain, though, as I don't use Microsoft Windows and have had no cause to look into it.

True, but no matter how much I love linux and open source community, can't deny that currently M$ Windows is the majority OS installed on most PCs.

I do use ubuntu, but my works demanded me to use windows softwares that isn't available on linux.

How about the micro USB, what will pandora detected as when it's plugged into a USB port as a slave?

Alot of questions but well, I'm curious.

^ When you plug it into a Windows machine, it will initially say it's unrecognised hardware. You then activate mass storage mode in the Pandora menu, select which SD card you want to access, and that card will show up on the Windows box like any other external drive. :) AFAIK there's no way around the initial Windows message, so you just ignore it.

The process is the same when plugging into a Linux PC, minus the silly hardware message.

^ When you plug it into a Windows machine, it will initially say it's unrecognised hardware. You then activate mass storage mode in the Pandora menu, select which SD card you want to access, and that card will show up on the Windows box like any other external drive. :) AFAIK there's no way around the initial Windows message, so you just ignore it.

The process is the same when plugging into a Linux PC, minus the silly hardware message.

Thanks! okay... next one how about being reseller/distributor?

You'll want to talk directly with Craigix and/or EvilDragon about that. A private message would be the best bet. They're both pretty busy so give it a day or so to get a reply. If all else fails, a new thread would certainly get their attention. ;)

Okay man!

I'll look for evildragon and contact him.

And thanks guys for the great responses!

I'll definitely getting one!

Cheers!

Welcome exorio! :)

With regards the Debian applications, Prometheus touched on this earlier but you should see this thread of Stuckie's http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/ and then check out what Alerino has done with this via the PandoraPress blogsite that Gruso runs http://pandorapress.net/

There you will find videos of Alerino's, showing Debian apps running in the extend utils set up.

Its all looking very nice if you ask me but needs an easier set up for most people (I'm trying to figure it out as a total n00b), which Stuckie is working on still I believe, God bless him! B)

Welcome exorio! :)

With regards the Debian applications, Prometheus touched on this earlier but you should see this thread of Stuckie's http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/ and then check out what Alerino has done with this via the PandoraPress blogsite that Gruso runs http://pandorapress.net/

There you will find videos of Alerino's, showing Debian apps running in the extend utils set up.

Its all looking very nice if you ask me but needs an easier set up for most people (I'm trying to figure it out as a total n00b), which Stuckie is working on still I believe, God bless him! B)

mm. I f-ed up my ubuntu installation soo many time I wasted most of my time in linux merely just trying to fix it, simply I just can't help myself not to tinkering with it lol.

While I just need an OS that work and help me, not making me spending time tweaking it.

If the deb isn't officially supported, then I won't install anything in .deb.

Just crossing my finger that pandora community will grow and become somekind of cult classic of handheld so it'll last forever.

My gut telling me seems like it will.

Just crossing my finger that pandora community will grow and become somekind of cult classic of handheld so it'll last forever.

My gut telling me seems like it will.

Lots of guts are telling this, including mine (after my gut is finished with whining for coffee), so lets make it like that :D

Back