Size matters

Foop

Still Fresh
I like the idea of the Pandora -- open source, and not controlled by the bloodsuckers at Sony -- but I do believe it is too small to be useful.

But I mean this differently than you might expect.

1. To merely make it proportionally bigger e.g. by a factor of 2, would result in a device that is no better than any netbook running Linux.

2. To merely increase the screen size (keeping the tiny keyboard) would result in something no more useful than an iPad.

Another option would be to put the priority on increasing the size and quality of the keyboard and controllers. This would necessitate making the screen wider, which of course is not a bad idea for gaming.

The result would be a cool device like this, useful for Firefox and emailing:

My link

I don't know if you have one, but I do. It is not too small to be useful - in fact, it is its size that makes it as useful as it is. The keyboard is excellent - one of my primary uses for the machine is writing.

I like the idea of the Pandora -- open source, and not controlled by the bloodsuckers at Sony -- but I do believe it is too small to be useful.

1. To merely make it proportionally bigger e.g. by a factor of 2, would result in a device that is no better than any netbook running Linux.

2. To merely increase the screen size (keeping the tiny keyboard) would result in something no more useful than an iPad.

Another option would be to put the priority on increasing the size and quality of the keyboard and controllers. This would necessitate making the screen wider, which of course is not a bad idea for gaming.

My link
That device you linked looks sorta rubbish really.How would the pandora benefit from being like that exactly?edit dont mean to sound hostile.As prometheus said the keyboards pretty good on the pandora.Dunno if id use it for writing though.Its certainly great for web surfing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That device you linked looks sorta rubbish really.How would the pandora benefit from being like that exactly?edit dont mean to sound hostile.As prometheus said the keyboards pretty good on the pandora.Dunno if id use it for writing though.Its certainly great for web surfing.
Perhaps that's because it's only like 30 year old computer technology. But honestly, with the possible exception of certain Thinkpad models like the TP600 series, there hasn't been a laptop with as useful an ergonomic form factor since then. A great keyboard, great form factor, and great ruggedness make the Model 100 one of the true classics of computer design.

Perhaps that's because it's only like 30 year old computer technology. But honestly, with the possible exception of certain Thinkpad models like the TP600 series, there hasn't been a laptop with as useful an ergonomic form factor since then. A great keyboard, great form factor, and great ruggedness make the Model 100 one of the true classics of computer design.

These are good points. Tandy accomplished a great deal with that old-time laptop, and really no one has replicated their success. These Tandy 102's were durable, had great keyboards, and the screens were just big enough.

Portable gaming devices are leaping forward -- just look at the Sony NGP. But what actually makes the Pandora better, compared to that? Simple: You don't have bloodsuckers from Sony or whatever company messing with you.

The Pandora runs Linux, and Linux means freedom. You don't have Sony running their code through a backdoor, or Apple spying on you and uploading details about what songs and video files you possess.

I think there's an opportunity to make the Pandora better by making it bigger. What's not worthwhile is continuing to make another Nintendo or Sony lookalike.

Image2

I once (well, still do...) owned a HP Jornada 728, which is basically like a longer Pandora. let me tell you that it was not as good as it sounds. the keyboard is definitely too big for thumb-typing, and yet way too small to type properly on. Also, the extra length made it non-pocketable.

Wikipedia Link

size does matter, any bigger and it wouldnt be pocketable as its meant to be, any smaller and youd lose a feature

ah okay,maybe foop should have said it was 30 years old before drawing a comparison.Never did hear about that old computer before.

My link

If you wanted something like that, you can just get a USB keyboard and sticky-tape the Pandora to it. Like this:

sticky.png

My link

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. If the form factor you're suggesting was used, then it becomes a lot less portable, and would require more power to run the screen which would result in lower battery life. I'm guessing that it's not the game controls you have an issue with, but the keyboard itself? In which case, perhaps carrying a rollup keyboard with you for those times when you're able to set it down on a table to use and wish to do extensive writing. Something like the aKia 80.

just buy a 10" netbook ?

personally i wouldn't mind to have a SMALLER pandora, thinner, kinda like a ds lite size at most, while the actual pandora is a bit bigger than it

why not bigger?

simply because i already own a EEE 701 :p

The Pandora runs Linux, and Linux means freedom.
Not necessarily. There's a huge market of locked-down Android phones now, making Linux successful while betraying the ideals many people attached to it. (I know I did. :( )

The important part either way is that the Pandora user has full root access.

I wouldn't want a bigger keyboard, it would be hard to fit in a coat pocket or small backpack if the Pandora was any bigger.

I've been taking notes on the Pandora during train travel and meetings for about a week now. Though it certainly doesn't type as pleasant as a small netbook, it is good enough. The small form factor allows me to carry it around in my jacket such that I always have it on me.

Had the Pandora been much bigger than it is right now, then I would not have bought it.

These are good points. Tandy accomplished a great deal with that old-time laptop, and really no one has replicated their success. These Tandy 102's were durable, had great keyboards, and the screens were just big enough.

Portable gaming devices are leaping forward -- just look at the Sony NGP. But what actually makes the Pandora better, compared to that? Simple: You don't have bloodsuckers from Sony or whatever company messing with you.

The Pandora runs Linux, and Linux means freedom. You don't have Sony running their code through a backdoor, or Apple spying on you and uploading details about what songs and video files you possess.

I think there's an opportunity to make the Pandora better by making it bigger. What's not worthwhile is continuing to make another Nintendo or Sony lookalike.

Image2

Sir Clive made it much more sexy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88

Back